Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • carbon bars?
  • pastcaring
    Free Member

i need new bars, i was thinking of trying carbon. i've never used anything carbon before.
    will i need torque wrench?
    are lock on grips advised?
    anything else i need to know?

it will be going on a 5spot. i weigh 185 lbs not scarred of a drop or jump(with in reason :D) so crash occasionally.

good/bad idea

thanks

JohnClimber
    Free Member

1) Possibly
    2) Yes
    3) Wait until the Ragley Carbon Carnegie's are available.

pastcaring
    Free Member

thanks for 1/2 but 3 no thank you 😯

jimw
    Free Member

Easton Monkeylites

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Easton_EC90_Monkeylite_Riser_SL_Mountain_Bike_Handlebars/5360017512/

A mate has them on his 5spot I have them on my Orange 5, another has them on his Giant Anthem. We find them very comfortable and tough as old boots according to various magazine articles

unovolo
    Free Member

Had some Answer Carbon Risers on my Hardtail for a couple of years now with now issues(touches wood!)
    Have used them with various grips ,currently using a set of shorty lockons as I have XO Gripshifters.
    I would definetly use a Torque wrench when fitting everything up ,Its surprising how little torque is needed to secure the bars.

druidh
    Free Member

I have carbon bars on four bikes (tart!)

I don't own/have never used a torque wrench.
    Lock ons (Lizard Skins) on two of those.

pastcaring
    Free Member

thanks guys

peteroughton169
    Free Member

just got an easton monkeylite dh, its my first carbon bar and i love it. 711mm and 220gm, its on my remedy 7

JohnClimber
    Free Member

pastcaring – Member
    thanks for 1/2 but 3 no thank you

What's wrong with Carnegie's?
    For me they are at the perfect angle for comfortable all day riding.

nickc

Any of the well known brands; Raceface, Easton, Answer, Pro. I use locks ons no worries, torqued up a Thomson stem, no worries. Bikes crashed high speed, low speed, fallen over. it's fine

andrewh
    Free Member

Had MAXM MX-5 riser for 6 years and MX-1 flat for one year. On probs at all, lifetime warrenty too. Used lock-ons all the time and many crashes. I'm only 135Lbs though…

pastcaring
    Free Member

just ordered these in 1/2 inch

stoney
    Free Member

FWIW +1 for the Monkeylites, i have them on both bikes and they are superbe 😛

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 Monkeylite XC. They scratch easy tho….

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Have had Monkeylites on my 5 Spot for years with zero problems. I happen to use lock on grips but would probably use lock ons anyway if I had aluminium bars. I also weigh about the same as you.

br
    Free Member

+1 Easton DH

I bought the Ritchey torque key (4mm bit) that is set at 5nm, and found that it is tighter then I usually tighten anyway.

Also use lock-ons.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have snapped a set of easton carbon bars because I overtightened the brake levers not by much but enough to damage the bars, just pulled away and the l/h grip and brake lever came off in my hands

YES IT WAS MY FAULT but never again, I was lucky not to be hurt Alloy for me in future

Dibbs
    Free Member

"saladdoger in mishap on Quantocks" shocker!!! 😆

druidh
    Free Member

saladdodger – Member
    I have snapped a set of easton carbon bars because I overtightened the brake levers not by much but enough to damage the bars, just pulled away and the l/h grip and brake lever came off in my hands

YES IT WAS MY FAULT but never again, I was lucky not to be hurt Alloy for me in future

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-handlebar-from-on-one

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Yes they are light, yes they are strong, yes a mere mortal will probably struggle to push them anywhere near the limit but……after one or two crashes, and maybe the odd bit of scuffing, maybe the lacquer gets damaged, well doubt just gets into your head and lingers there.

I realise that was a poorly constructed sentence btw.

Northwind

Mistergnar, the laquer on almost all carbon bars and similiar parts isn't structural, so scratches in it are irrelevant.

Monkeylite XCs on one bike, Truvativ Noir Team on the other. Not sure what's better, the Eastons are lighter and seem really just as strong but the Noirs have a lot more control space on the bars, the Eastons have an annoyingly wide "rise" and not much actual bar so I can't get my gravity dropper control where I want it. Both great, both tough as I need.

Oh, if you're considering Eastons check out Jenson USA, even paying tax and the parcelforce extortion they still worked out a good solid bargain for me.

njee20
    Free Member

Had MAXM MX-5 riser for 6 years and MX-1 flat for one year.

Christ, I'm genuinely stunned! I caught my MX-1s when they were just cracked, I know Gee snapped a pair at Sherwood. Definitely to be avoided IMO.

Easton would get my vote, nice neutral shape, lots of different widths/rises, very very strong.

richc
    Free Member

£110 for those Answer bars! for that I would get the Eastons

br
    Free Member

Along with a fellow STW we were buying from Jensons, and there was a problem with his card. So found 10 pairs of Easton DH 2009's on UK ebay, £70 delivered each.

And here are some more!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Easton-Monkeylite-DH-31-8-RRP-129-99-NEW_W0QQitemZ130380391146QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item1e5b46e2ea

Get in there.

pastcaring
    Free Member

£110 for those Answer bars! for that I would get the Eastons

i prefer the feel of answer bars over easton. i don't think easton do 1/2 inch rise?

nickc

maybe the lacquer gets damaged, well doubt just gets into your head and lingers there.

no, it doesn't…

crewlie

How old a set of carbon bars would you feel happy with. Never heavily crashed but lots of lacquer scuffing?

billysan
    Free Member

Ive just taken the plunge and put a set of Truativ Noir Team risers on the chameleon. I really like them so far, but have noticed that the laquer does indeed mark easily. They are les than half the weight of the old EA30's I had before and I can definately tell the difference in lifting the front end.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘carbon bars?’ is closed to new replies.