Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carbon bars
  • gingerbullet
    Free Member

Hi there,

I’m looking at purchasing a second hand Sixc carbon bar, I have been sent pictures and they clearly show indentations of where the stem and shifters have been , should I be concerned or is this normal?..

Thanks Dan

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with them. They haven’t been torqued properly so I could never trust that it hasnt caused a stress riser.

superleggero
    Free Member

Avoid – not worth the risk.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

plenty of good deals available on new bars if you can hold out.

gingerbullet
    Free Member

That’s what I’m thinking , the owner States it’s just on the lacker ??? Apart from that the bars look new

andyl
    Free Member

Lacquer.

Depends if it’s just surface pitting to the lacquer (if it’s present, it isn’t always) or actual indentations from the edges of clamps.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got some I need to shift. 660mm Easton, excellent condition.

gingerbullet
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’m looking for 785mm wide bars

SirHC

I’d not risk it, if they’ve been over torqued and crashed, its a recipe for disaster.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve probably made marks like that on my carbon bars and they’ve been fine, but I’d want to see them in person myself I think if buying a pair.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Over torqued, where’s the evidence of that?

I’ve got three sets of carbon bars, they all have marks where the stem and levers have been attached, they have all been tightened to the manufactures specified torque.

I don’t think I’ve seen a set of carbon bars that have been fitted and don’t have some marks from the stem/lever interface, in most cases it’s light marking of the clearcoat and has no bearing on the integrity of the bars, so yes it’s normal ime.

OP Post some photos up if your unsure.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think dirtydog’s comments are correct but even though I’m pretty robust with my s/hand purchases, carbon bars are the one place I don’t take any risks. Bars get crashed. Everyone crashes. If you are lucky you get a few quid off. If you are unlucky then you’re getting new teeth. Are you feeling lucky?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a feeling 660mm bars are going to be hard to shift 🙂 better put them on my xc race bike…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bars’ is closed to new replies.