Carbon 456's

Home Forum Bike Forum Carbon 456's

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Carbon 456's
  • shanta

Thinking of getting a carbon 456 and just wondered what the durability and a ability to take knocks is like. Never had a carbon bike before and i suppose i still think of them as plastic, waiting to shatter at the first sign of a tumble.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Durability wise, mine has been absolutely fine, I treat it like a metal bike. There’s a lot of material in them so it’s not like some skinny XC bike. Cosmetically it’s ****ed though, finish is I think the worst I’ve ever had on a bike, if that matters to you. Frankly if cosmetics are important it’s probably not the right bike anyway 😉

shanta

Whats up with cosmetics?

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

I’ve ridden a carbon whippet all year in the peak, so skinnier than the 456, and it’s been flawless.
    It was sort of an experiment that I didn’t think it would survive, (I’m a stout rider), but it’s been right as rain.

Would have no worries whatsoever on the C456 durability. I think if you’re happy with can tolerate the looks then it’s a great versatile bike.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Well, it looks like it was carved out of soap then left in the bath 😆 Not a pretty bike.

But the finish on mine’s simply very bad- chips and scrapes very easily, it had as many stone chips on the seattube after the first ride as my Cotic had after 2 years. But I guess the cheap has to go somewhere.

But have to stress that’s purely cosmetic.

plyphon

It’s an all mountain carbon frame.

IE: Bombproof.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

The finish on mine is absolutely fine after 18 months of hard riding and neglect. It’s a gloss clearcoat one.

oxnop

See here….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/femur-carbon-456-frame

He bought another 456 c straight away so he must not have any issues with its duribility!

lap41314

I have had my C456 for a year and it has been flawless. Raced it at Ten under the Ben and was delighted with it, passing full sussers on the downs too. F’ing great fun. And I don’t agree that it’s not a good looking bike. I think mine is beautiful . Eye of the beholder and all that.

argoose

Looks fine to me, had one for just over a year, been told I’m a lot faster up and down than on my FS bike. Mine just calls me a wuss when trail gets gnarly, it will make you throw it down more stuff faster than before. Enjoy

shanta

Loving the response so far – well actually i lie! The bike is actually for my missus so im a tad jealous, just got a steel one myself 2 weeks ago…aaaarse.

PeterPoddy

I can’t break mine. It’s built like a tank. 🙂

But, be warned, they are scarily light when you first pick the bare frame up!

shanta

Im/she is getting a full bike (used).

B.A.Nana

They look worse in photos than in the flesh IMO. Great lightweight frames tho. I bought a raw frame with the intention of not being too proud of it’s cosmetic looks long term. Great for lightweight xc mincing, throwing around and tougher terrain/stuff. I really wanted a yellow one when they were cheap, but thought better of it, purely for cosmetic reasons.

Liftman

I snapped the seat stays on my first one, but it was a pretty major off which I reckon would have bent/bust a steel frame.

Went straight out and bought another one to replace it.

matth75

Great bike, frame’s responsive & F.U.N, finish can get scratched but throwing stuff down mountains does tend to damage any finish even on a steel bike. You could leave yours in the shed if you’re that bothered. Mine’s the black & red one & it still looks pretty good after over a year, in fact a die hard full suss aficionado reckons it’s the only frame that would turn him to the dark side 😀

daveh

Mines a raw frame so no finish to ruin. Having said that I don’t think I’d have a problem with any of the other finishes as mine is permanently covered in mud. It’s that type of bike, use and abuse.

mrphil

Wouldn’t worry about the frame being plastic.

I’m 15st and mine takes a battering, been fallen off, no flex from the rear.

Chain suck is a problem (old innertube around the chain stay sorts this)

Long top tube is good if you like a low bike, least you can use a 16inch frame as opposed to an 18 inch.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Carbon is good enough to protect an F1 driver in the cockpit from 200mph crashes, it’s good enough for throwing around on a bike.

There are always ways to break it though, but don’t worry about the plastic feel (it’s not plastic anyway) or horror stories about scratching it and it’ll fall apart, or it not being strong in certain directions. The only things that will break it are the same things that will break a steel or ali frame. In fact more likely to break those frames than carbon.

And yeah, the top tube length is long, hence I went with 16″ frame and mine is still longer than my medium (18″) full sus.

Only issue I see people having is with the paint finishes which seem to crack. Mine’s undecaled raw and fine if has an odd finish look to it, but out in the wild it’s a nice stealthy black look.

marvincooper

Only thing I don’t like about mine is the width of the chain stays – keep bashing my heels on them which I’ve never done on any other bike. Love it in yellow though.

stumpyjumper

Get one, put a 50mm stem on it and match it with a pair of 150 thru bolt forks of your choice and start grinning.
    I hated mine when I first built it up. It took several stem/bar/fork changes to make it come alive. That top tube is long.
    Love it to bits now. Bonus is as its carbon and swoopy its a doddle to clean.

spectabilis

^^^yep what stumpy said^^

Whats that? yes, as it happens I do have one up for sale at the mo … 😉

shanta

As i said its for the missus as an alternative to her Orange 5 . Anyways ive pulled the trigger now and she should be her on Tues…but dont tell the missus…shhhhhh

daveh

I hated mine when I first built it up. It took several stem/bar/fork changes to make it come alive.

Yep, still in progress myself. 150mm fork (140mm no good!), 3 sets of bars and 2 stems. Think I’m going to settle on 65mm stem and 780mm bars.

maxtorque

I’ve just built up a c456 as a winter beater to help keep my French Surrender Monkey from falling apart / needing fixing quite so often.

Only problem, so far, i’ve just not got hooked in to riding it yet, so i keep picking up my Zesty for a ride, when i know i should just spend more time on the c456…………

mingerocket

Broke mine last Sunday,crushed the chainstay against a rock and bust a hole in it.on one have given me 20% off a new frame and will definitely be getting another

daveh

B.A.Nana- Have you got a slackset on there? If I’m correct: is it 1 or 2 degs? How different does it ride?

hora

Im with daveh (not a civil union).

Any grey decal ones?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

@daveh- I put a 2 degree one in mine, worked really well… Plays to its strengths I reckon and doesn’t really make it any less good at its weaknesses. Though, tbh it doesn’t feel as sorted as a Ragley.

B.A.Nana – Member
    They look worse in photos than in the flesh IMO

Second that, was very unpressed when my mate arrived to the trail on one, they do look good.

B.A.Nana

Yes, 2 degree On One/Works Component, the top photo is with On One poo headset which didn’t last very long. Felt strange at first (even tho I’d previously had a Summer Season), but was great in The Dolomites a few months ago. The 2 Degree will give you Summer Season like geometry.

hora

The SS was awful IMO. The regular 456 is/was spot on

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

you did run your SS with 180mm triple crowns though despite veryone telling you it was designed for 100mm forks 😉

hora

No I didnt. The only long forks Ive owned were Lyrik 170s

daveh

I guess the best way would be go see if they’ve got an evo hung up in the showroom, see if I like the slacker feel. Was the original headset a pig to remove? I remember thinking when I fitted mine that it’d take some getting out!

shanta

Where is the best place for decal sets for these i.e quality wise?

PeterPoddy

Decals? Any local graphics/sign shop.
    I had some made by a mate because the OE ones are gash

IMG_0859 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

shanta

Yeah, just like the finish these carbons. Im sure somene posted a link to a guy who does them on here but i can find it…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456's’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top