Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carbon 456 triple chain device – mrp xcg ?
  • frazered
    Free Member

Had a good ride over lunch at llandegla yesterday

New build of my c456 with a new deore groupset courtesy of merlin cycles.

Unfortunately the chain popped off twice on the inside when dropping to the granny. The first time the chain jammed hard between granny and frame with a good scuff resulting.

Hence looking for a chain device whilst retaining the new 3×10 set up

MRP XCG Triple Chain Device
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/20172/MRP_XCG_Triple_Chain_Device

Has Anyone fitted one of the above ?

Am assuming I wOuld need the bb version as no iscg mounts on the carbon 456?

jambon
    Free Member

I run an SLX 2×9 with a Blackspire Stinger on my c456.

Works for me.

tomhoward

I’ve got the MRP (bb mount), its more of a bash guard than a proper chain device. That said, I haven’t dropped a chain since using it!

composite
    Free Member

jambon – Member

I run an SLX 2×9 with a Blackspire Stinger on my c456.

Works for me.

Not dropped a single chain since using the Stinger and I don’t miss the big ring at all.

rhid

I’m not entirely sure if that XCG is a chain retention device or just a chain ring protector. It may not do much in stopping your chain coming off.

I did the same as Jambon on my 456 evo. Works a treat since I never really used the big ring.

xiphon
    Free Member

XCG is a ring protector (oo..er!), not a chain device.

jambon
    Free Member

Oh – tried using a RF Deus triple with a ‘lite god’ bash guard instead of the big ring with the stinger and it didn’t work at all – no room for the stinger with the wide BB shell.

The 2×9 SLX shifts the chain-line so that it works with a Stinger, or similar, just fine.

The 2×9 SLX is one of the best things I’ve ever bought – years old no and no sign of wear. The 36 ‘middle’ is all you really need on an MTB TBH.

frazered
    Free Member

Would like to retain the 3 x 10 set up as only just bought it tbf.

The mrp xcg does say it catches chain on the inside, aware it is not a tensioner.

Not seen anything else that will accommodate the 3×10 setup – are there others out there ?

turtleheading
    Free Member

Hmm, id be interested if there is a 3×10 chain device Bionicon do these, but they seem a bit expensive for what they are…

Anyone know of any others?

tomhoward

E13 Heim triple? http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/32763/E13_HEIM3RS_Triple_Ring_Chain_Device_BB_Mount?gclid=CMvj6Jqao7ICFUNTfAodBwsAgw

(there is a tab on the backplate of the MRP that is designed to stop the chain from falling, dont know how effective it is, but as I say, I’ve never dropped a chain)

br
    Free Member

Have you too few/many BB spacers and/or misaligned front mech?

turtleheading
    Free Member

£56 is lots….

frazered
    Free Member

sooooo

I now have both the bionicon chain guide v2 and the mrp xcg triple

would it be overkill to fit both

which one should i keep / return.

tempeted to just run with the bionicon as it smaller, lighter and will stop chain suck, I have also tweaked my front mech so hopefully now more chain flipping off inbetween the granny and the frame.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 triple chain device – mrp xcg ?’ is closed to new replies.