Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Carbon 456 – someone stop me
  • hora
    Free Member

Tempted, liked PeterPoddingtons in the flesh. It is ugly on photos isnt it?

Should I?????????????????

How rough have people been with them (storage/dropping/falling off) and any broken ones yet?

Please put me off.

jcromton
    Free Member

I think I read in the news today that Carbon on-ones give you cancer. Or was that Weetabix?

You’d be throwing your life away.

flyingmonkeycorps

One of my riding buddies had one and hated it. It seemed to handle been thrown (literally) down hills pretty well though. He now has a BFe which he much prefers.

rob2
    Free Member

Hora – I have one which I’m thinking of selling to reduce my fleet. Pretty much mint and no abuse whatsoever as I live in Oxfordshire! It’s a small (16″) in Matt black

Let me know if of interest or not!

hora
    Free Member

YGM

wwaswas

I’ve helicopter taped the down tube but the laquer has chipped off the BB area bit after I ran into a log. Other than that it seems fine.

out and about, somewhat in silhouette;

and safely on the patio;

thepodge
    Free Member

er… didn’t you get rid of the chameleon because it was too firm?

I can’t see this being notably different

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just don’t run tapered RS forks in it.

wwaswas

thepodge – they’re quite forgiving – far more than the steel 456 it replaced, anyway.

hora
    Free Member

Jesus, the Chameleon is STIFF – box-section rear chain stays!

thepodge
    Free Member

not as forgiving as his 4x

hora
    Free Member

The 4x 8)

Seeing as I’m definitely not having a roadbike I have room another bike in my heart 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

why no road bike? I’m still toying with the idea. I think soon as better weather kicks in I’ll pick one up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nobody knows if they’re going to break or not to be honest, but they have a two year warranty and they’ll probably be fine anyway.

They are stiff but still very comfy. More so than my steel handjob at least.

I didn’t like the looks at all in photos but have got used to it very quickly and of course when you’re riding it all you can see is a wide black TT.

One of my riding buddies had one and hated it. It seemed to handle been thrown (literally) down hills pretty well though. He now has a BFe which he much prefers.

Funny, I built a Bfe and C456 up at the same time – and have since sold the Bfe. The 456 was a much better bike for my requirements.

hora
    Free Member

Podge the old track bike fits all my road requirements. Smooth, comfy (yet stiff). Perfick.

I’d be interested to know why the chap preferred the Bfe- what he hated about the c456???

Chaka’ what are your riding requirements etc?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s my XC bike and I suffer from back pain so: Light, comfortable, fast, long-ish top tube – but with a relaxed head angle for composure on technical bits.

I only really bought the Bfe because I was in love with the colour and one came up on the classifieds and I had a “spare” 36 to put on it at the time.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Mark – if you want to have a go on mine and see how ugly it really is let me know – it’s an 18″ though

hora
    Free Member

back pain. Thats what I used to get even after short rides on hardtails.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

is this a good time to tell you they have a few ‘paint seconds’ going for £299??? 😯

hora
    Free Member

WHERE?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Here you go, to quote from ‘Why buy a Carbon 456?’ on the on-one website:

A hugely oversized monocoque front triangle modeled on armored personal carriers deflects rocks and increases strength. 30/40 Ton high modulus carbon is hand laid with the best resins available to produce a stiff, strong frame with just the right amount of compliance in the rear end.

You’ve got bags of marketing twaffle there, combined with a lazy illiterate use of bad English. That should be enough to put you off.

Personally, the fact that it has ‘On-One’ written on the down tube and looks like an accident is more than enough to put me off.. 😉

wwaswas

the fact that it has ‘On-One’ written on the down tube

if you buy a black one the stickers arrive separatly so mine has a blank downtube.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d be interested to know why the chap preferred the Bfe- what he hated about the c456???

I shall ask him next time I see him, never did really find out. I think possibly because his maiden ride on it was awful (route not bike!) and he’s a serial bike changer…

surazal
    Free Member

The paint seconds for £299 (inc p&p!) are being advertised on Facebook. Really tempted myself hut just can’t justify one… I hope I don’t regret not getting one in 6 months.

Popocatapetl

Hora,a total lack of any rear suspension combined with your large mass would lead to an epic fail 😆 and thats before you decide which forks to buy for it! 😀

partyboy
    Free Member

Please put me off.

The paintwork is poop

Rockshox tapered forks are a no no

Cable routing is shocking

Thats it really, for £299 its a steal.

P20

is this a good time to tell you they have a few ‘paint seconds’ going for £299???

One less 18″ available. Cheers for the heads up 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just don’t run tapered RS forks in it.

Rockshox tapered forks are a no no

On One are on the case and there’s a fix in the pipeline, see my thread 🙂

Mine is still THE BEST looking C456 around though…

IMG_0864 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

jon_on-one
    Free Member

Just buy one! I know I’m a bit biased and yes, guilty as charged for marketing waffle and bad English… but I do actually ride one of these and can honestly say that the Carbon 456 is my favourite ever hardtail. Pretty stiff rear end to be sure, but for me that’s the fun, it skips through the rough so well it’s like riding a lightweight carbon xc hardtail with the stability of a 456. Absolutely love it!!! 🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

There is a really tasteful white one on ebay for £2500 I have heard

hora
    Free Member

Hey, would love to buy one. I rang at lunchtime and spoke to someone in planetx/different dept who tried his best to describe the faulty finish as ‘orange peel’ effect on the frame. So I emailed and asked if they could send me a couple of shots of the imperfections if possible. No ones comeback to me yet.

Its a leap of faith to spend £300 on something that has a described-visual fault. I’m not into revisiting a Post office if I disagree on the finish. After all its £300. Alot of anyones money.

Oh well.

paperbackwriter
    Free Member

What’s the problem with RS tapered forks, I hadn’t noticed any comments about that on the forums?

I’ve got a tapered Rev Team with appropriate crown race for the Smoothie mixer waiting to go on a C456 frame and I’m concerned now!

wwaswas

then pay full price and get one with a paint finish you know you won’t want to return?

It’s going to be difficult to photograph a poor paint finish anyway, I’d think?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

It travelled two hours from Wigan to On One’s place in Rotherham two months ago ‘to buy one’ and after spending an hour and a half being passed from pillar to post I was hurriedly asked to describe a spec, the lad (Ben) was nice, asssured me he had done 8ft jumps on one and was fine, the down tube has a kevlar band built into it to deflect stones/protect the frame.

I specced a beauty of a bike, best part of £1300 for a single speeder, he said he would send me an invoice to confirm build spec and exact pricing and I could order. Three times I chased them up and got two return calls about a week after the chase, still no invoice, still no order, they snoozed the loozed (lost!)

I bought a Niner Air 9 from Chevins instead, love it to bits, goes like stink and I didn’t have to beg them to buy from them.

wwaswas

paperbackwriter;

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/interesting-headset-problem-tapered-steerer-carbon-456

only an issue on 16″ frames from what I’ve read on that thread.

flange
    Free Member

Its paint…on a bike frame.

Seriously, its not going to give you the AIDS or anything. And lets be honest, you’re not the hardest rider in the world are you – I’ve seen the pics.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stop fannying around and just buy one before they are gone.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve seen the pics

Cracked Summer season refunded.
    Previously a 18″ noodley Ti456 and…me on my previous 16″ 456

Still makes me a cash £ customer sweetie. 😆

wwaswas

loving the ‘this is a tricky bit’ tongue 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

shame they dont do it in the ‘whippet’ colours, that looks really sweet, and majorly expensive!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – someone stop me’ is closed to new replies.