Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Carbon 456, scandal 29er or Lurcher?
  • justinbieber

I fancy a new bike to run alongside my Five. I’ve not got a fortune to spend and I’d like a relatively fast and light hardtail, so I’ve narrowed it down to a 456 carbon, scandal 29er or lurcher.

I’ve ridden a steel 456 before and liked it, so I’m confident I’ll get on with the 456 carbon, but a couple of mates have suggested a 29er would be better. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

I’m fully aware I’m opening the 26 vs 29 debate yet again (sorry), but I’m torn. I know how the 26 will ride, and parts (tyres) will be swappable between the bikes, but would the scandal or lurcher really be that much better? I live near the lakes, and rough, technical riding is what I like riding, but I don’t want a hardtail replica of the Five. Arghhhh…

scaled
    Free Member

I’m sort of in the same boat,I’ve got a NP Mega for the heavy duty stuff and just picked up an ancient rusty and brilliant 456 for buttons in the classifieds.

Keep thinking I should build it up as a 69er or something to keep my options open if I want to go 29er in the future but bollocks to it, build yourself a cheap 26 inch hardtail Out if the parts bin 😀

justinbieber

Exactly. Cheap parts bin special just isn’t possible when you need new wheels, forks, tyres etc etc

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a steel 456 before and liked it

Surely that’s your answer? I ride a steel 456 and love it. If i were to jump on the 29er bandwagon, i’d probably get an Inbred – but as you’ve already said, keeping with a 26er would afford you more flexibility with switching components from your Orange.

Don’t bother with a “light” bike. They’re not worth the hype. A decent build on a 456 will be 27/28lbs, which is just fine.

nuke

Last hardtail was a C456 and now have a Scandal 29er. Can’t say I really got on with the C456…found the back just a bit harsh for my liking but there are many happy users (16″ frame coming to a Classified’s section near you!).

I do like the Scandal 29er although probably should have got an 18″. Great price for a 4lb frame, love the raw finish and it rides great…very fast. Doubt I’ll want to go back to a 26″ hardtail now.

Personally don’t see the point of paying extra for the Lurcher…don’t see what the extra spend gives you. Similar weight as the Scandal. Dirty Harry at least gives you a decent weight saving

justinbieber

Good point Nuke – can’t see any advantage of the lurcher other than the weight. So scandal or 456 carbon. Hmm… Decisions decisions…

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a Dirty Harry and it seems pretty nice (can’t ride it in anger yet as the forks on it need to be reduced)

I went for it over the Lurcher as it was lighter, cheaper and uses a normal bb rather than all this press fit nonsense.

Built up 2×10 it comes in at 25lbs on the nose (inc pedals) which is around 5lbs lighter than my other HT bikes. My 21″ frame weighed 2.75lbs. I paid £399.99 but I think they bumped up £50 the next week.

jambon
    Free Member

Are they not ‘different’ bikes, if you know what I mean.

The c456 is light, true, but it’s meant for fairly Gnar stuff whereas the others are more mile munchers.

The 456 is pretty much a hardtail version of the 5 (similar angles??).

I may, as often happens, be wrong though.

feisty
    Free Member

Scandal scandal scandal 🙂

I need no excuse to post pics 😉

29er is awesome

26er is good too but I prefer my 29er infinitely more

nuke

The c456 is light, true, but it’s meant for fairly Gnar stuff whereas the others are more mile munchers.
    The 456 is pretty much a hardtail version of the 5 (similar angles??).

Sways it more to Scandal 29er imo…justinb did say he wanted a light and fast hardtail and not a hardtail replica of his 5. Plus, if preferred, you can build up the Scandal for a bit more trail/gnar riding…mine has a dropper, ubiquitous short stem/wide bars, slackset and Smorgasbord tyres.

vondally
    Free Member

I have a scandal 29er really good bike, very stable and good trail bike, handles most stuff brilliantly, rock gardens and steep descents it struggled slightly but could be the rider more the bike 🙂

Northwind

I’d say the C456 is just like a steel one, except better. I wasn’t happy with the terrible finish and ratting out of the warranty on mine, so can’t recommend it, but if you like the steel one then you’ll probably like the carbon one.

Of those 3 I’d have the Scandal I reckon, more difference between it and your five. Haven’t ridden a lurcher but Scandals are ace.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve a C456 and a Scandal 29er (one of the originals ones).

I’ve been riding the Scandal over since the end of last summer. It’s a fantastic bike, just goes over and down anything (running Rebas on it and some 2.25 tyres on wide rims). But I am itching to get back onto the C456 again (as soon as I shorten the reverb hose and it dried out again).

justinbieber

Thank for all the replies guys. Sounding like the scandal is the way to go. Damn sight cheaper too, which is nice 🙂

lee-bee
    Free Member

Go scandal it’s a brilliant bike!!!

slowboydickie

I concur. I just tried mine with a 110 fork today and it was superb!! So much better than with a rigid.

vondally
    Free Member

I would agree the scandal is better with rigid………..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456, scandal 29er or Lurcher?’ is closed to new replies.