Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon 456 + On One smoothie taper headset
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It’s not going to come out is it!

Anyone got any ideas? The headset is so deep that the frame aluminium insert obstructs getting a drift on it. there’s a tiny lip left on the inside and a tiny lip on the outside.

Is it supposed to come out? Will be pretty annoyed if it’s fitted forever.

My wider issue; new frame and headset has arrived, but the crown race is for 1.5″ taper forks rather than the straight 1.1/8th it was supposed to be. Figured I would just swap lower races over as well as the fork. Now I can’t work out how I’m going to ride the new one this weekend.

Devastating!

andyl
    Free Member

why are you changing it? and what is the new headset?

to check the crown races are compatible look at the angle numbers written on the bearings.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Same bearings, but different lips on the bottom of the races, so the on one headset race fouls the mythic headset and jams so can’t turn.

Changing it as I want to pop it into the mythic as that was supplied with the wrong lower race for the forks (non-tapered). Waiting for the right one means rebuilding the donor 456 and no riding new frame.

Mybcurrent best (only) solution is to leave the on one crown race on, then drop the mythic one over the top. Have done this and it seems to be ok, but what happens when I ride it? Can this possibly work?

mmb
    Free Member

have you looked for a drift that might fit?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12337

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, i took it to a shop. The problem is that a tool like that will be sat up against the aluminium insert inside the head tube, so won’t expand far enough to sit on the edge of the headset. Might email on one for advice as it’s their frame, and their headset designed specifically for the frame.

In the meantime the correct race will be with me for 11am tomorrow, so having to re jig my 10 am ride a bit. Might end up doing the Borrowdale Bash instead.

jon_on-one
    Free Member

Best way I’ve found to remove a smoothie mixer is to grip the lower race in a vice and twist it out like that…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

How are you clamping it up? Metal on metal?

jon_on-one
    Free Member

Would suggest padding out the jaws with wood. Comes out fairy easily though.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll bear that in mind if I ever need to get it out. I wanted to borrow it for a new bike frame that was sent with the wrong lower crown race at the weekend, but I’ve got the right one now, so it can stay where it is for now, just glad there’s a way of getting it out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 + On One smoothie taper headset’ is closed to new replies.