Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)
  • Carbon 456 – anyone got theirs yet?
  • Kato

I think you need more spacers under that stem!

allthepies
    Free Member

lol, holy elevated stem batman!

69er
    Free Member

Time will tell, but paulrockliffe is truly amusing me with his endless justification for buying the ugliest bike of the moment 😆 😆 😆

You're going to regret it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bagstard
    Free Member

Well it is definitely a personal thing, I'm loving those curves.

osian
    Free Member

Any fully built weights around?

br
    Free Member

Any fully built weights around?

Since the frame is lighter than my Ti frame, under 24lbs should be achievable – with a more normal build at 26lb with a +140mm air fork and decent width tyres.

robhughes
    Free Member

haha.it,s not mine..i pulled it of MB northwales

eddyesi
    Free Member

Pics of the XT build up on OO sitte now, looks pretty good, price is up to £500 now, damn my delaying tactics, might see whata cash deal gets at mayhem?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I weighed my build in a 28lbs, but I don't know how accurate my bathroom scales are. I thought it was a little heavy as all my bits are pretty light, syncros carbon bits and Thor's on the front etc. But the wheels, brakes and rotors are pretty heavy and I have deore cassette on, so it might be right. Need to get some scales to weigh bits I think.

warpcow
    Free Member

Glad to see they've followed the STW style-guide. That front hose looks a tad on the long side though.

osian
    Free Member

Think mines going back as it's not quite what I want at the moment.

Email me if your interested before I send it back.

tk46hal
    Free Member

My TI456 weighs in at 23.8lb and is deff stronger than those horrible plastic/brittle things!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4418525654_e06b662e18_b.jpg

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Hope reducer headsets from Si at 18bikes cheaper than On-One! Ordered, delivered and fitted in record time.

Dancake
    Free Member

Well I love the look of it..more and more with every post.

but how does it ride

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Cranks chain gears and brakes still to be fitted. Feels very very light at the moment.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

My TI456 weighs in at 23.8lb

Your scales need calibrating.

vdubber67
    Free Member

paulrockliffe – Member

I weighed my build in a 28lbs

28lbs for a carbon bike?! Jeez, I'd be quite disappointed at that.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My TI456 weighs in at 23.8lb and is deff stronger than those horrible plastic/brittle things!

My Ti Zion with 80mm Fox Floats, Hope XC/X717 wheels, Speed King 2.1's, Hayes Stroker Carbon/Ti brakes and an XT/XTR and Ritchey build kit is 25lbs on my scales, so 23.8lb for the bike pictured seems a little on the unlikely side.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

that ti one above is no waaay 23 lbs….sorry
    thats 25lbs at least

chainslapp
    Free Member

Here you go TK

reggiegasket
    Free Member

removing the right fork leg is cheating

69er
    Free Member

28lb? For a race bike that's pointless.

higgo
    Free Member

28lbs for a carbon bike?! Jeez, I'd be quite disappointed at that.

What an odd thing to say. I'd be "disappointed" with, say, a 28lb road bike or a 28lb XC race bike but what's that got to do with what it's made from?

The frame's 3 (and a bit) lb so it's got (just under) 25lb of 'stuff' on it. I don't know the details but I'd say it was either build sturdy or economically (or a bit of both). Either way, if the owner wants it lighter there's plenty to go at. Actually (having just read up the page) I suspect it's just down to the bathroom scales.

higgo
    Free Member

Well having come from a steel 456 and having borrowed a Ti one at the weekend, I'd say it rides just like a 456 but lighter and with a hint of impish naughtiness.

higgo
    Free Member

Here's mine (steerer, spacers and a few other bits are WIP)…

Dancake
    Free Member

I like it. I guess carbon bikes are supposed to be whippet-like and graceful. The 456 carbon looks 'ard as funk .

Needs some teeth painted on

ashfanman
    Free Member

That's the nicest one I've seen yet. How does it ride?

RustyNissanPrairie

yeah i like them-I'd give them awhile for any possible strength/durability issue's to surface but would consider one.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

this has probably been asked before but why run a tapered headtube?

1.125 I understand.
    1.5 I understand.

but why mix the two when you can't buy forks with tapered steerers (AFAIK). In other words, you can't run the frame as designed because the forks don't exist – unless they do and I just haven't seen any of course.

I understand the concept and it's fine on roadies as the forks exist.

Are they waiting for the fork manufacturers to catch up?

billybob
    Free Member

sorry that frame looks like it comes from Tesco….

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

CRC are selling some Fox forks with tapered steerer

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Needs some teeth painted on

+1

higgo
    Free Member

That's the nicest one I've seen yet. How does it ride?

I've only been out on it locally (canal path, steps in the park, bumping up/down kerbs etc) but it feels just like my old steel one but better – obviously lighter but also a it naughtier.

It's going for a spin round Hayfield tomorrow so I'll be able to give a more considered opinion then.

clubber
    Free Member

tk46hal – Member

I'm always impressed at riders who have gone to the effort to either do a full stress analysis or done a destructive test on a frame so that they can make this kind of definitive statement 🙄

jamesfifield

Second the teeth: something like a Kittyhawk paintjob would look ace on the toptube/downtube intersection.

69er
    Free Member

Higgo, I'm sorry mate….

Those frames are an aesthetic nightmare, and they look unfinished!

ojom
    Free Member

yeah i like them-I'd give them awhile for any possible strength/durability issue's to surface but would consider one.

It will more than likely be stronger than most frames on the market seeing as it's CEN rated. You will have a hard time breaking one.

MrOvershoot

I'm not sure On-One have ever gone for the beauty card, just honest hard working bikes.

I do have 2 456's an original "that blue" one & a Ti one (the very one Hig's borrowed the other weekend) neither is a pretty bike but hell neither am I 😉
    So far I agree with some others that its the best one I've seen so far but I would say that as I sold Hig's the Forks & Brakes 😛

Oh and just for the record the steel one weighs 30.4lbs with Air Pikes, DT 5.1 rims & a mongrel mix of Hone & X7 and Hope.
    The Ti one is 26.3lbs also with air Pikes but mostly XTR carbon kit & Dt 4.2 rims

hora
    Free Member

How are the carbon ones fairing? No probs so far? 'Kinda' interested but how close in weight is it to a steel 456 (I have a 16")

nickc

but why mix the two when you can't buy forks with tapered steerers (AFAIK)

You can buy forks with tapered steerers, and it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. 1.5 at the bottom where it's needed and 1.125 at the top where you don't, less weight than 1.5 more or less same strength. Actually a new 'standard' that works.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – anyone got theirs yet?’ is closed to new replies.