Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon 29er hardtail in the Sierra Nevada – will I die?
  • mrmoosehead
    Free Member

So should have a scale 910 shortly. (When LBS rings me back)

Got a choice of taking my old spark 35 (triggers broom) or the 29er hardtail to the sierra nevada at the end of june.

We have a couple of local guides. We’ve asked for more XC oriented rides (as that’s what we mostly do)

I’d like to take the 29er. Will I die?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dunno, can you ride it?

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

😀 No. I am clearly an idiot. :p

I’m not the bravest of riders. I climb pretty well, fairly strong on most stuff, but a bit of a wuss when it comes to large dropoffs and intricate rocky stuff.

So the answer is probably no, cos I’ll be walking.. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As with most things if you ride trials that make you happy all is good. A good guide will know that just be up front and honest with them.

I also know of people who would rip up technical trails on a bike like that too…

Or too sum up what would you ride on the other bike that you wouldn’t on the new one.

wors

I’ve had my Canyon Grand Canyon for a few weeks now (very similar geometry to the scale) and I am surprised at how capable it is, so the bike won’t let you down.

skellnonch
    Free Member

You will most likely ride it, it may be more enjoyable on a bouncer however, put some big heavy duty tyres on & run them a little softer – may help

danti

Been to both Switchbacks and Ciclo Montana on my 29er hardtail and I’m still alive.
    Hopefully will take it out to Ciclo again.
    Oh yeah, definitely some heavy duty tyres, something like Chunky Monkey front and Smorgasboard rear.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Okies, thanks for all your comments.

Thinking is that the standard tyres might not take the beating out there?

Comes with Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO / 2.1 127EPI Kevlar Bead

njee20
    Free Member

If you ride Rons for a week in Spain and don’t rip a sidewall I’d be stunned.

Much as I love them, they’re a fragile race tyre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for the biggest toughest tyres you can fit.

It sounds like a daft idea, but why not pick up some old 26″ bike off ebay? I took my 456 and it was a hoot, s/h they’re practically given away now, might even save you Pringleing an expensive lightweight wheel.

honourablegeorge

I’d ask the guides what tyres they run and act accordingly

egb81
    Free Member

As mentioned, a good guide will plot you a suitable route. When I went with their with Pure Mountains (highly recommended) we got taken out on loads of steep, rocky techy stuff. Three of the group, including me, were on 29er hardtails. Definitely put burly, tubeless tyres on though. My brand new Specialized Ground Control lasted about 30min. The rocks are pretty savage.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 29er hardtail in the Sierra Nevada – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.