Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Carb cleaner… Is amazing stuff!
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Has anyone ever used carb cleaner on their bike?

My commute bike has been used and abused in all weather, never really washed and only rarely oiled. Its drivetrain is covered in a horrible, previously-impenetrable road grime that was resistant to all previous attempts to clean. I’d tried the usual Muc Off / Fenwicks / Citrus degreaser and scrubbed with no effect. In a fit of despair over the state of it, I searched the garage for something stronger, and I found a can of carb cleaner and sprayed that on. Lo and behold, silver sprockets emerged almost immediately from underneath the brown rusty grime.

I got some on my skin and it left me with a burning sensation for several hours. So you know it’s good stuff. Anyway, I just thought I’d share my discovery. Unless someone can tell me why it’s a terrible idea to use this stuff, I shall be using it more to clean the un-cleanable. 8)

ell_tell
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Just use white spirit. Vastly cheaper and just as effective. You don’t need anything quite so aggressive.

mccett
    Free Member

It’s also very good for fitting and removing ESI grips.

househusband

Assuming that’s the same kind of stuff as brake and clutch cleaner… amazing stuff! Buy it from the local motor factor – about a tenner for five litres.

RustyMac

It worked remarkably well on our cars throttle body just the other day – got rid of the stop and stall trait it had developed as the throttle body was all gummed up.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Always find the Muc Off , Fenwicks stuff to be pretty poor, over hyped, expensive stuff. I find Comma Hyperclean degreaser works well on bikes and smells of lemons and is a lot cheaper too.

Rio

I used some carb cleaner to un-gunge the carb from the leaf blower recently. I stood the carb in a plastic bowl to catch the run-off. It dissolved the plastic bowl. Wouldn’t let it anywhere near my bike.

Xylene
    Free Member

Aldi caravan degreaser is the business

trail_rat
    Free Member

just do not expose the remains to heat/flame or weld.

google phosgene gas.

Superficial
    Free Member

I stood the carb in a plastic bowl to catch the run-off. It dissolved the plastic bowl.

What more proof do you need? Awesome.

Just use white spirit. Vastly cheaper and just as effective. You don’t need anything quite so aggressive.

I had tried many less aggressive options, none of which worked. More aggressive = less scrubbing. Ideal.

Besides, the carb cleaner comes in a high pressure squirty bottle and really blasts the grime off.

duncancallum

I use brake cleaner alot too.

I find alot of car stuff cheaper and superior to bike only stuff

njee20
    Free Member

I had tried many less aggressive options, none of which worked. More aggressive = less scrubbing. Ideal.
    Besides, the carb cleaner comes in a high pressure squirty bottle and really blasts the grime off.

Really **** your seals up too, awesome! You listed a load of crap marketing hyped products which work as general detergents, but are shit at actually cleaning or degreasing.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Don’t spray it in your eye it hurts!

TheSanityAssassin

White Spirit FTW!

alpineharry
    Free Member

On matte frames, furniture polish works really well

andyl
    Free Member

Assuming that’s the same kind of stuff as brake and clutch cleaner… amazing stuff! Buy it from the local motor factor – about a tenner for five litres.

apparently Ecover spray bottles are made of suitable materials to spray it and not dissolve. I’ve seen older ones used but have not tried the newer style yet (have one ready when I get round to it)

househusband

Must admit I’ve only ever used brake and clutch cleaner to clean chains, cassettes, chainrings and components when off the bike – I’d never let it get anywhere near the paint or my carbon bikes!

slowoldman

Gunk.

duckeee
    Free Member

Baby wipes.
    Surprisingly effective and smell pleasant.
    I just use the dirt cheap tesco own brand ones, cleans chain lube/road gunk off a treat.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Current muc off is not as good as the original but people don’t complain about it damaging things

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Carb cleaner… Is amazing stuff!’ is closed to new replies.