Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • caravans… Clarkson can **** off!!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Re the cost, bear in mind that AA is a teacher, so he can take 5 week summer holidays if he likes. At £15 for a caravan site and £60 for a B&B he’d save around £1500 on the accommodation cost alone for one trip. And he’s only spent £500 on the van. Then he can go away for a few more weeks the rest of the year too. Sound decision on those terms alone.

Different kettle of fish to T5 and some caravans probably cost as much.

Caravans are FAR cheaper than campervans, generally.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you will be complaining there is no wine cellar or servants quarters next Flashy

The one year running costs of a campervan would be more than he just paid for that van

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Caravans are ace. End of.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

A chemical toilet, no bath or proper shower, pitiful cooking facilities and a damp, cramped bed is far from being “decent facilities”.

I always had down as a man of adventure who good forgo home comforts in his search for exciting new horizons

I obviously got that wrong.

konabunny
    Free Member

For five hundred quid I’d give it a shot.

An upmarket chav dogging vehicle with a tiny sink to rinse your nob in and easy clean upholstery.

Yeah, caravanners only have a tiny sink, but the campers have to use fetid penis beakers.

aracer
    Free Member
    stoffel
    Free Member

you’re going to end up on a caravan site with the sort of people who frequent such establishments.

How many caravan sites have you been to? I don’t get the anti-aravan thing; they’re a great idea! Far cheaper than a campervan/motorhome, And you can unhitch it and drive somewhere for diner etc. And they help reduce motorway speeds, which is better for road safety nd helps savelives.

samuri
    Free Member

As long as they
    1 have a yearly MOT
    2 Pay road tax
    3 Pay rates because they are another form of accommodation
    4 keep off the roads between 08.00 – 20.00

On point number 2, only vehicles that emit more than a certain amount get charged ‘road tax’, caravans, don’t emit anything so they don’t need to. just like your bike.

Dickyboy

a caravan won’t fit in my panniers

I can’t tow a caravan with my bicycle or my motorbike

for the price of this cheap £500 caravan I can stay 50 nights on a campsite

I can drive at 80mph & get 50mpg from my car without risk of being turned around & laid on my side by a big white box behind me

I can carry my house in a rucksac to the remotest parts of the world

QED caravans are shite

zippykona

My brother has a caravan and to be accepted you have to wear crocs and a leather cowboy hat.
    Sell it while you can.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Ignore the haters and enjoy your ‘van!

But why are they all white or beige? Why not colours that blend into the landscape?

konabunny
    Free Member

And why are the graphics and internal textiles always so minging?

mattbee

£500? I nearly bought one of those a few months ago for 2.5k…
    If you decide you don’t want it I’ll take it off your hands.

hammyuk
    Free Member

mattbee – Member
    I nearly bought one of those a few months ago .

You’re sacked….
    Now get back to work

anagallis_arvensis

£500? I nearly bought one of those a few months ago for 2.5k…

Yeah we are buying off a good friend who is not worried about the cash, very lucky. Would prefer a campervan but cannot afford one. Its a bit on an experiment but worth a shot for that money.

Coyote
    Free Member

Bloody shed dragger.

Basil

Why is my wife obsessed with getting a caravan?

anagallis_arvensis

She wants to join in with the swingers?

Basil

At my age she has access to all the swingers I have

matt_outandabout

*spits morning coffee*

rebel12
    Free Member

Personally I’d prefer a well kitted out T5 or some sort of motor home but £500, that’s a bargain! Can’t go wrong with that. Just make sure you pull over every now and again to let the frustrated traffic behind past 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Where do you live. Basil?? 😆

cheers_drive

Wow not even the fatties get this much abuse! I’m going to join in before it is socially unacceptable to abuse them too…
    I camp in tents quite a bit, sometimes in campsites that have caravans in them too, and other than a slightly quicker setup and more space in the car I can’t see any advantage in a caravan over a tent. You would expect that caravan users would be a grade above tent goers in the echelons of holiday accommodation but far from it; tent goers are just so much nicer human beings.
    BTW I say this from the position of having spent 2 weeks a year the first 14 years of life holidaying in a static caravan in Torbay, a position possibly lower in the echelons.

bencooper
    Free Member

I can drive at 80mph…

Not in the UK, presumably.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can carry my house in a rucksac to the remotest parts of the world

So can I. I have a lightweight bikepacking setup, and I have a lightweight family camping setup too. My next camping trip will be with the family in the tent, cos we have to take it all on a plane.

But for a weekend away in the car, which we also do, the caravan does the same job as the tent but is much more comfortable. That’s really al there is to it.

You don’t have to be one of those insane old people who sit in their caravans watching telly and treat caravanning as an activity in itself. It’s just camping, but comfier.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Another caravan owner here 🙂

Done a fair bit of camping over the years and its great when the weather is good but when its not its not fun

We do a lot of bike races across the UK including the MTB XC Series, 3 day tour of Wales etc and apart from a motor home the caravan is by far the best option

They are warm, dry, comfortable and you can cook a good meal easily.
    Given you want to be in decent shape for a race no contest really

molgrips
    Free Member

They are better than campervans in some respects – you get far more space, and you don’t have to pack it up to go out for the day.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Wish I could afford one so my kids could experience what I experienced with my grandparents when I was young. But fear they are getting a bit old?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bloody awful things.

However you dress it up – its still a plastic shed on wheels.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got four kids and going on holidays in hotels is firstly prohibitively expensive and secondly is nothing but stress getting everyone organised for the meal times etc. For us having a caravan makes us pretty flexible (we never book anything and just turn up) the kids get to make new friends and are busy the whole day which makes the whole experience more relaxing for us the parents. I’ve always hated camping in tents… was never able to sleep very well in them.

andyl
    Free Member

If we had better roads, better trained drivers (lets make towing tests/lesson cheaper and compulsory) and caravans were better designed I think it would make caravanning a lot better.

Oh and if we ditched the horrible fibreglass and wood boxes and went back to these then they would be a lot prettier:

richmars

Caravans are ace just for the names. Great way to pass miles of motorway.

Explorer
    Great Adventure
    Apollo
    Wilderness Explorer III

etc

scaredypants

anybody know a good source for “Don’t come a knockin’…” stickers ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

its still a plastic shed on wheels.

A car is a metal box with wheels on each corner

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Caravans? Meh. Now, this on the other hand…

Plus it more than pays for itself with the methamphetamine production! 😀

richmars

Spotted in a pub car park.
    This is all you need:

molgrips
    Free Member

its still a plastic shed on wheels.

So? Better than a bag with sticks, or a builders van, or an old person’s house etc. I can make anything sound bad by using disparaging language, it proves nothing.

It’s a little tiny portable house. Brilliant 🙂

Re Airstreams – they look cool but are very expensive and very very heavy. You need a truck to tow, and I think.some of them may not be towable on a normal license.

KonaTC

Caravans are ok, it the inconsiderate drivers that really hack me off

dawdling along at 35-40mph then when you can safely overtake they miraculously speed up to 50-55mph Grrrrrr

molgrips
    Free Member

it the inconsiderate drivers that really hack me off

Yeah me too. Caravanning is not short of idiotic old people. I take great care to minimise annoyance to others when I tow, but many don’t. But then, that goes for pretty much all motorists regardless of vehicle.

onehundredthidiot

Couple of weeks ago at Kippford so we could ride Dalbeattie. Only issue was the guy who tried to overtake the “f*****g caravan” when all of the traffic was travelling at 60 behind the traffic police car.
    Only other issue we have is people on dual carriageways passing slowly to take photos.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘caravans… Clarkson can **** off!!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts