• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mos.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Caravans and joinery [Most exciting thread ever]
  • SaxonRider

As the proud owner of a new (to me) static caravan on the Continent, I am wondering about what is possible in terms of carpentry.

I want to add two bunks (one in each of the smaller bedrooms), and will need to drill some brackets into both internal and external walls.

Is this possible? Are walls strong enough to hold the screws to begin with? And will they be able to hold the weight of a bunk (assuming it is well constructed and installed) with a person on it once it is in place?

fasthaggis

Go for it

nickjb
    Free Member

I doubt the walls are very strong. I’d look to put in verticals that take the weight then just a few screws and brackets to the walls to steady it.

WEJ

I’m no expert, but I dismantled a couple a few years ago. The structure is usually really lightweight, so I doubt the joists would be up to the job, especially the internal wall. If the joists were strong enough, I’m not sure how you’d find them?

Would removing the existing singles and replacing with freestanding bunks be an option?

Pigface
    Free Member

fasthaggis
    perchypanther
    Free Member

As the owner of a Willerby static van, very similar to yours I would advise this:

Under no circumstances should you fix anything heavier than a picture to the external walls.

THe manufacturer has strengthened the structure where it needs to take loadings as designed for the original layout ( e.g for kitchen units / wardrobes etc ) but is not setup to allow subsequent “freestyling”

If you want to build a bunk – make it freestanding.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not an expert in statics, only in crapped out old tourers. Are they made the same?

If so, you may be able to find some vertical supports as PP says. Otherwise you’re better off putting four vertical legs and tethering them lightly to the wall. Even then maybe some cross members on the legs to make them rigid, as the fixing to the walls may not even be strong enough to resist the tossing and turning of a kid in a lateral direction.

mos

Have a google at ‘George Clark Static Caravan’, he did some fannying about with an old one with lots of birch plywood.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Caravans and joinery [Most exciting thread ever]’ is closed to new replies.