Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Caravan/Campervan???
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

For sure molgrip

More than a couple adults in there and it starts to feel squashed….

The coach built we hired previously had 9 folk living out of it at the puffer and was grand with dedicated split sleeping and living arrangements….Bed over Cab etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Found the biggest camper van dealer I have ever seen in Germany. Even the huge 90k ones were cramped compared to a 15k caravan.

We get two separate living areas with tables if required. The front one is a comfy lounge about space, I can lie down; the other is the kids one where they play games and whatnot on the table whilst we chill. I’d hate to be sat in the driver’s chair. A lot of camper van kids beds seem to be inaccessible during the day, or they stay as beds.

Of course you can be outside if the weather’s nice, but this is the UK.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hmmmm – I think the show next weekend is going to be interesting. Not planning on anything new (I don’t think), but it seems the best place to get a good look at all the options!

Other than a DIY Van conversion 😉

Tracey

We bought a campervan on impulse at the Birmingham show in October 2014 for delivery in the following summer. There were some great deals going which made the decision easier. We had some criteria that were a must. We needed a secure garage that would take four 29ers without stripping them down as well as some other stuff in it like tables and chairs. We wanted a double bed that didn’t need making every night. Needed to be under three metres high for the French tolls and a few other things. Also needs to sleep four.

It was a babtism of fire as we took delivery and set of for a month touring the Alps.

15000 miles later we wouldn’t be without it. Gets used most weekends and for our holidays. Never missed not having a car when it’s parked up. We either walk or use the bikes.

A caravan wouldn’t have worked for us.

We weren’t planning on buying or buying new but with the deals on offer it was a no brainier. Dealers were selling three year old versions of what we bought for more than we paid new at the show.

Chausson Welcome 718 EB

squirrelking
    Free Member

Agree you get a lot more for your money with a caravan but with certain downsides.

This:

is about as long as you can go without another axle and as heavy as you can go to tow with a family car with a decent sized engine (2.0 Mondeo minimum). It’s not that bad to reverse if you take it somewhere quiet to practice first and easily driven so long as you remember to overshoot corners somewhat. It’s also legal on any licence which is a big plus. Oh and the electric mover is good for parking up if you’re shattered and can’t be bothered any more.

As I said there are downsides; tight roads can be a nightmare (worse than single track truth be told), there’s no cycle storage, resilience is an issue (there is a huge on board tank at the front but I dread to think what that would do to the nose weight and MAM), “wild” camping is probably out and it needs 6-7 spaces widthways to park at a supermarket (if they don’t move you on). All other problems are fairly universal between caravans and similar sized motorhomes (speed, maneuvering, storage etc.)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Tracy – I think I have admired your camper on other threads! It would need to be a stunning deal, with a stunning payment plan, to get me to order anything at the show! I am somewhat financially embarrassed at the moment 😉

I must admit though, that’s how I want to use it – weekends popping out, holidays… even just running to the central Lakes from here for an early start on the hills would be great (only a half hour drive up into Langdale!) – just have it packed up and ready to go at any time!

We want to take the kids on more adventures – both the two that live with us and my daughter when she comes down to stay.

Space for keeping something is less of an issue. My bottom drive will take 3 vehicles reasonably easily, and once I re-make the gate it would probably take 4. The top drive will take a couple – or would be about ideal for a campervan/motorhome (probably not a caravan though, manoeuvring it in would be… interesting… the bottom drive would probably be more straight forward for that!).

Hmmm… we shall see…

I could always pop the Moto Guzzi on a trailer for getting two of us about once parked up 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t need to service, tax on indie caravans either.

ton

lf you choose a camper van, for the love of god and for the sake of the children, please please choose a petrol or electric one…… 😀

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A bit of consideration from caravan drivers and the fact they don’t have to congest the roads, I could be talked into one of these.

jezzep

Camper van without a doubt. We brought ours a year ago wouldn’t be without it now! Ditched my car purchased a small run around. One saving you can make is avoiding the stereotypical camper vans. Theres a huge choice such as bongos, fords transits, Vauxhall Peugeot’s. I chose a Renault trafic having read the forums and talking to windsurfing buddies…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where did you take it to a year ago ? 😉

jezzep

Same places it takes me now;) Wales, Scotland last year. This year France and Scotland again….

jezzep

alpin
    Free Member

the T5 thing is not really about motor homing, it’s more like tenting on wheels

Have a LWB T5 with a pop top and would agree with this.
    We have a bench downstairs that contains the kitchen plus lots of storage which can quickly be converted to a double bed as well as the upstairs for sleeping.

It’s great for a fair weathered weekend away for four… Maybe a week at a push, but it is a little cramped, especially with all the associated luggage (more so when we have a bike each).

The GF and I spent 3,5 weeks touring Italy over new year. Removed the 2nd row bench and had lots of space. But still, space is tight and you are always having to move something in order to get to something else. Being organised is key. I turn into some “everything in its place” Nazi.

However, we could have the bikes inside the van and still sleep downstairs if we wanted (in the middle of town,no roof up) so as not to attract attention, which we often do.

Our van is great for the two of us and still good for four. We tend to go away with just the two of us and as such it is great for 90% of our trips, be that 3 weeks away or a weekend jaunt down to the alps biking or hiking.

With a VW sized van you are much less conspicuous and can get away with parking in most places. And you can get to places you otherwise wouldn’t with either a caravan or larger van/motorhome.

If you are using it often then fuel consumption might be a consideration.

Whichever you choose it’ll be a compromise. Nothing is 100% perfect.

pjm7
    Free Member

Bear in mind if your towing a caravan with a van, some campsites won’t accept you, fearing your a pikey.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pjm7

That happened to my mate in his van….Without a caravan.

His is decked out on the inside looks like a boggo builders van outside. No windows or stickers .

Campsite not interested.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to go that far, even the wrong model will get you refused entry (continental brands such as Hobby with the door on the “wrong” side, usual excuse is if it needs to be towed out in an emergency ignoring the point of minimum fire gaps)

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Caravan/Campervan???’ is closed to new replies.