Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Caravan towing hassles?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Buy a van and stick a perma-bed in it. Job done

Or you could just have bought a caravan in the first place that was more suited to your requirements 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

You can get caravans with perma beds too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

must admit not having to tow a caravan would be/was a bigger draw than changing it because the bed is a pain to make up.

jam-bo

It was late and there were no police about <cough> possibly home in a little over two hours <cough>

ah, you’re one of them…

molgrips
    Free Member

must admit not having to tow a caravan would be/was a bigger draw than changing it because the bed is a pain to make up.

Yes, even I agree – towing the thing is by far the worst part, making the beds is nothing.

molgrips
    Free Member

@OP

Saw one of these on the motorway the other day. Had to do a bit of searching to find out what it was. They look flippin brilliant. Tiny thing but watch the review to see how much you get in it. I reckon you could stealth camp pretty easily in something this small.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ojMgbyCDNo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Also a slightly larger one from Swift:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiq16Ut6mZM[/video]

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks! I came across the Go-Pods when researching wee caravans. I like the shape, but they seem really expensive for what they are. The other thing which puts me off is that there’s no toilet, and the sink is tiny and squashed into the end corner. There was a secondhand one with some extras for sale not too far from me, but it looks like it sold. They were asking £11,500 for it, and I think they said it was around £13,500 or £14,000 when new.

I’m still undecided, and dithering between all options. One minute it’s the roof tent, the other it’s a bed in the back of the Landy, then there’s a tear-drop camper, or a wee van/camper. I’ve even been contemplating a pitching a small mountain tent on a roof platform!

I was able to have a look in a roof tent on a Mini. I was surprised at how many rungs of the ladder I had to climb to get in! The Landy will obviously require more climbing! The doors on the AutoHome (Maggiolina) roof tent looked like they might flap around in wind, and I’m still not convinced about their ability to weather a storm. They’re also pretty heavy – about 120lbs to 180lbs depending on make/model/size, plus roof bars. Some people say you can feel the weight when driving.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a toilet in that Cockpit one. Ok so you’d have to kick your other half out…

I’ve even been contemplating a pitching a small mountain tent on a roof platform!

Isn’t that a bit pointless when you can pitch one on the ground? 🙂

‘Course, the big advantage of a normal caravan is that there are tons available second hand at any price point. Maybe keep an eye out for small ones? eBay has tons of caravans generally.

molgrips
    Free Member
    tjagain

I see zero point in a roof tent in the UK. Surely easier to pitch a tent next to the car? Caravans and stealth camping don’t really go. Camper van it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

TBH I’d like there to be a stealth caravan option as the other advantages would still hold. Especially if you fit an on-board water tank.

If I were minted and had no kids I’d seriously consider one that you can stow bikes in.

However I’m not and I do 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

A stealth caravan – is that like a box trailer ?

Small is not stealth a caravan is still a caravan if it looks like a caravan ….

timber

Small stock trailer behind a 90, no one will look twice.
    Works for most young farmers at agri’ shows.

molgrips
    Free Member

Painted black. Or maybe with a hedge, field, sky, cows etc painted on it so you can park in a layby unseen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have seen that before timber have seen them decked out inside too.

My only worry would be the landy and or the trailer being stolen 😉 that would put a damper on your night being stolen in your trailer

molgrips
    Free Member

I had wondered about converting a box trailer actually. Insulation, wooden panelling and a sofa bolted to the floor, job done.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Caravan towing hassles?’ is closed to new replies.