• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Car woes – vibration/rumble from nearside front wheel on braking
  • IHN

The car (a little Mazda 2) has sat for the drive for a couple of weeks. When I took it out the other day to nip to the shop, I noticed a fairly loud vibration/rumble from (it sounded like) the front nearside wheel. It sounds like it’s something on the disc and only seems to happen when the brakes are nearing full on, i.e. when slowing to a stop but there’s no vibration at the brake pedal. Light braking seems to be fine/noiseless.

Anyway, I’m going to get the front wheel off and have a look at the disc and pads later. If there’s nothing obvious there, is there anything else I should be looking at? Bear in mind that if it’s anything remotely tricky, it’ll be going into the garage to fix/investigate.

simmy
    Free Member

If it’s been stood it could be a build up of surface rust on the disc.

Rust will be obvious when you take the wheel off also have a look how much pad is left.

madhouse

Could be as simple as a corroded disc or worn pad, sounds like it has the potential to be wheel bearing related though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alanf
    Free Member

Dodgy ABS sensor? Any feedback through the pedal?

Cougar

Any feedback through the pedal?

there’s no vibration at the brake pedal.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

warped disc? had it on an old saab, knocking got worse with distance. few years back so can’t be sure but i think there was feedback through the pedal

makkag
    Free Member

warped disk would be my bet – sounds similar to something i experienced years back on a mk 4 golf

dooosuk
    Free Member

I presume when you have it jacked up you’ll check for wheel bearing play and a sticky piston before removing the wheel.

IHN

I presume when you have it jacked up you’ll check for wheel bearing play and a sticky piston before removing the wheel.

Oh, yeah, definitely. Er, how do I check for a sticky piston?

If it’s been stood it could be a build up of surface rust on the disc.

Rust will be obvious when you take the wheel off

Could be as simple as a corroded disc or worn pad,

This is my hope

alanf
    Free Member

there’s no vibration at the brake pedal.

😳 My bad – must have missed that when I read the OP 😳
    As you were

dooosuk
    Free Member

If it had been rust, I would have thought that would have cleared during your journey. After all, it would only be surface rust on the disc after 2 weeks.

And a disc shouldn’t warp on its own whilst just stood.

Oh, yeah, definitely. Er, how do I check for a sticky piston?

See if you can spin the wheel. If you feel resistance the pads are dragging the disc most likely as the piston hasn’t retracted fully.

Although I’m not sure why that would cause vibration.

IHN

If it had been rust, I would have thought that would have cleared during your journey.

It was literally a three minute nip to the takeaway, and I probably never got above 20mph and braked possibly three times…

chickenman

I’d say it’s the pins the callipers slide on; the rubber boots come loose and they have rusted, stopping the piston sliding on them. Had this on my Mazda 6.

joat

Find a quiet bit of road and either brake as hard as you can, or carefully left foot brake whilst still on the throttle. If this doesn’t cure it, see above.

muzz
    Free Member

Warped disc.

Stuck guides and general rustedupness usually we results in sticky brakes and binding

IHN

Well, it was….

a rusty disc. Tool the wheel off, all looked fine apart from the discs had a fair bit of surface rust on them from being sat for a while.

Wheel back on, went for a drive, couple of safe but hard braking attempts later all was well.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Car woes – vibration/rumble from nearside front wheel on braking’ is closed to new replies.