Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Car woes
  • sparkyrhino

Have a second hand car i bought on hp under 3 months ago, just spent a fortune on a new fuel pump, luckily half was paid for with the 3 months warranty, all been ok for 2 days and now wont start again, same symptoms as before.Will be going back to garage asap,just hedging my bets, but what matter of course if its been wrongly diagnosed in the first instance also, can the car still be rejected to the hp company? After this amount of time and only 1500miles driven in it?
    Ps its a volvo v50 2.0 d.shouldv’e stuck to my 1k banger

CheesybeanZ

When you say HP , do you mean a loan against the car or a personal loan ?

sparkyrhino

Loan against the car,reading above link doesn’t look too promising.

br
    Free Member

A failing fuel pump can screw other things, like injectors…

This was our experience with my wifes’ last car.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Why did You spend a fortune on a new pump if it’s still under warranty?
    How old is it?

sparkyrhino

The warranty only covered costs up too £300..its on a 58 plate

timber

Air bubble/leak in the line, not a self priming engine from memory, injectors? Send it back to repairing company, they’ve missed something.

I ditched a slightly older version because of a load of highly awkward things to work on, oil filter seemed to be buried behind a lot of stuff for a regular service item.

hora
    Free Member

Evening OP

‘The warranty only covered costs upto £300’.

If I’m reading this right the trader(?) is avoiding his obligation by using a third party warranty that incidently has a claim limit?

Go and get some legal advice (or at least local trading standards office).

I wouldn’t be happy if a trader was avoiding personally responsibility. Was the car book price and on what sort of mileage? I’d its a 100,000miler and was a bargain/under book by law you have less rights. I’d you paid good money and its <average miles and was described as top etc condition then you’ve got more comeback. A 08 diesel would be on at least 70-80k miles min. by now though.

sparkyrhino

Its 101k when i bought it,has a fsh last stamp 96k put approx 1.5k on it ,know nothing much about engines, but the air in the line could be a possiblity. Hope its nothing else the cost of the fuel pump wiped me out just about

maccruiskeen

A failing fuel pump can screw other things, like injectors…

Not knowing that engine, but what can appear to be a failed fuel pump can in fact be a failed EDU (or ECU) controlling the pump, just a tiny solder failing inside the circuit board, if thats the case the pump might have been replaced in error.

I’ve not had a fuel pump fail but I have had and EDU go and it is just a case of just completely not working/starting because no instruction is going to the pump, rather than running or starting badly which you might expect if a mechanical component was failing.

Its also not out of the question that the pump that was fitted was a dud and that component will still carry its own warrantee. The garage should really warrantee both their diagnosis and the part fitted if they’ve taken money to do the work

sparkyrhino

When the RAC bloke put it on diagnostic, showed no fault/alerts but the fuel pump was way under pressure, genuine replacement part was fitted.hoping its just a air lock in it, as mentioned by timber, been told it doesnt self prime, and no manual pump to prime, got that sinking feeling i’ve got a lemon

nealglover
    Free Member

The warranty only covered costs up too £300..

The trader has responsibilities beyond the warranty.

sparkyrhino

Even after nearly 3 months?

nealglover
    Free Member

As its not yet three months old, and you said it’s already been repaired once and now failed again, I presumed the first problem occurred a while ago. Well inside three months.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Even after nearly 3 months?

Yes!
    3 months dealer warranty is the minimum I would expect on a car that age. He’s just ducking the issue with the aftermarket warranty.
    Go and see trading standards or whatever they’re called these days.

robdob
    Free Member

You could hardly afford half the fuel pump cost but you bought a modern turbo diesel? Things are not going to end well for you….

I wouldn’t touch a modern TD if I was spending my own money and I didn’t have lots to spare.

Crag
    Free Member

Proper pisser Sparky, hope you get it sorted mate.

robdob
    Free Member

Are you sure they actually changed the pump at all?

Unfortunately these short term warranties are easy to wriggle out of with less than perfectly honest traders, I’m surprised they stumped some up at all.

A friend of mine bought a Saab turbo from a well respected garage locally, turbo went within a few weeks and they wriggled out of paying for anything.

sparkyrhino

Sorry mods;-).was done at a trusted garage( know the manager)

chipster

What Crag said. ^ 😕

sparkyrhino

Cheers Crag & Chip, and for all tips and links.will get it sorted one way or another

robdob
    Free Member

Good luck with it anyway, hopefully if they’ve tried To sort it before they will again.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

The possibilities are…

Incorrectly diagnosed the first time, easy to do if the fault was not permanent!
    Its not the same fault, just the same symptom, and is unfortunate coincidence (unlikely but it does happen)
    The high pressure pump was breaking up (or something caused it to malfunction), and deposited swarf in the fuel system. The replacement pump sorted things for a bit, but the accelerated wear means it now wont start.
    The only way with this is flush out the system and replace pump, replace or recon injectors and fuel rail.

Really, anyone working on a fuel system like this should know to check the fuel filter contents before fitting any new part!

duncancallum

What codes has it generated

sparkyrhino

No codes at all,not even a warning light.will ask the garage to check what James had suggested

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sparky, my car dealership-owning buddy says you should go to citizens advice as you may well be able to chuck it back at them.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not sure what new legislation says but under the old Sales of Goods Act you would have been covered under inherent defects and would have had the option of repairing (at dealers cost) or refund so long as it was reasonably close to the time of sale. Go to Citizens Advice, it definitely sounds like you have a case and if I was you I’d be rejecting the car and getting all your money back should you have the option.

As for problems with modern TD’s, only as many problems as bad users.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Car woes’ is closed to new replies.