Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Car with no MOT (apparently) parked outside our house.
  • hora
    Free Member

Evening. OP really, just the gardening ….oh and the washing the car of course. 🙄

It annoyed you soo much that you had to write a lengthy original post too.. 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

It was both a mild rant and an information gathering exercise.

You helped with neither, yet you also chose to comment when clearly you had nothing useful to say.

Doors over there >>>>>> Use it.

taxi25
    Free Member

I find it hard to believe anyone with a car to park wouldn’t find it a bit irritating to have a car parked outside their house for 2 weeks.
    First world problem an all but definitely an annoyance.

hora
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed.

nealglover
    Free Member

I find it hard to believe anyone with a car to park wouldn’t find it a bit irritating to have a car parked outside their house for 2 weeks.

This will blow your mind then… We have two cars to park, and there is a van that’s almost always parked outside our house, apart from late at night (night worker maybe?)

It has honestly never occurred to me that I should be bothered about it. And if I was in the slightest bit itritated by it, I could always move one of ours into the space at night while it’s not there. But I never have.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How many times have you moaned on here about parking in your street when match days are on and the like
    why you trolling the OP?

It[ no MOT] may reduce your cover to Third Party only, but you’re not driving without insurance.

If that were the case, it would be illegal to drive a non MOT’d car to a pre booked MOT appointment as you would be driving without insurance. Source please my understanding is you can only drive an non MOTed car to the test or garage and you dont have insurance to do this

taxi25
    Free Member

It has honestly never occurred to me that I should be bothered about it. And if I was in the slightest bit itritated by it, I could always move one of ours into the space at night while it’s not there. But I never have.

Not the same. the van comes and goes, I’d assume he’s just parking as close as he can to his house when he comes home, perfectly acceptable.

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard we have resident only parking on match days. All of the borough is like this.

trail_rat
    Free Member

From .gov.

“Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

It is absolutely illigal to drive an uninsured car to an mot/on any public road.

Rich_s

Source please my understanding is you can only drive an non MOTed car to the test or garage and you dont have insurance to do this

That would be the Road Traffic Act – fill yer boots!

dogmatix

i like the bank robbery suggestion best! If you do it can you gopro it (but not in the toothbrush way)?

OR…. knock up some little wheels trollies, jack it up and move it a bit further down? ? ???

bigyinn
    Free Member

If I jack the car up it probably wouldn’t stop rolling for a bit, as we’re on a hill.
    Hora I’m trying to be restrained, if you’ve got nothing useful to add, won’t you please just sod off out of this thread? Thanks.

bigyinn
    Free Member

For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t care if other people park outside my house. They have as much right to park there as I do. But when a car doesn’t move for 16 days and counting, that seems a little odd to me. We’re right on the edge of town, about a mile away,so it’s unlikely someone has parked there to go on holiday.

Harry_the_Spider

Phone the police. I did this when somebody dumped one outside my house and the local scrotes started pulling it apart.

As if by magic it vanished the day after.

Cougar

Irritating or no, if it’s legally parked then you’ve no redress against people parking on a public road.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not the same. the van comes and goes, I’d assume he’s just parking as close as he can to his house when he comes home, perfectly acceptable.

Nope. I know all my neighbours.
    The owner of the van isn’t any of them.

No idea where he lives, but it’s impossible that outside my house is the closest he can park to where he lives
    (Unless he’s living in my house, and I’ve just not spotted him)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was rather hoping neal would answer as I think he is wrong – if you have anything definitive I am happy to read it-Do you or neal?

nealglover
    Free Member

Source please my understanding is you can only drive an non MOTed car to the test or garage and you dont have insurance to do this

under FSA rules an insurer cannot refuse to pay out because of an expired MOT unless they can prove that: a fault exists that an MOT would have picked up AND that fault contributed to the circumstances that led to the claim.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

See trail rats post, you have to have insurance to drive it to the MOT, not having an MOT (or an IVA test certificate, ‘tax’, or even a numberplate) doesn’t invalidate the insurance.

Source – having to do the insurance->MOT->tax dance every year with the MG.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Evening. OP really, just the gardening ….oh and the washing the car of course.

It annoyed you soo much that you had to write a lengthy original post too..

Are you starting all your posts with ‘evening’ for a bet?. 8)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well a week later and it’s STILL there. So thats 3 weeks now.
    Had a bit of a nose around it yesterday and there is what appears to be a plastic seat cover in the boot (like mechanics use to cover seats when they’re working on it). I wonder if it has had some work done on it and further problems have been discovered?
    Im seriously considering reporting it to the police and see what they say.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Owner is perfectly entitied to leave it there as long as it’s taxed and not a hazard. 3 weeks isn’t that long

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

report it, they will check and make a decision. If its legit they wont take any action no problems.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Owner is perfectly entitied to leave it there as long as it’s taxed and not a hazard. 3 weeks isn’t that long

Yes, but the OP isn’t that bothered about it as he keeps telling us.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I was rather hoping neal would answer as I think he is wrong – if you have anything definitive I am happy to read it-Do you or neal?”

what strange logic…..selectively ignoring the facts with sources before asking someone else to justify the same position….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll revise that, Im starting to get bothered…..I’ve been gardening (i.e. chopping back large overgrown shrubs)…

CheesybeanZ

3 weeks and you still haven’t reported it !

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Write ‘dibbs’ on a piece of paper and leave under the wipers for 24hrs. If nobody comes forward it’s now legally yours.

Harry_the_Spider

Torch it.

tazzymtb

Just fill all the air vents with soil and sow some cress or other rapid gowing plant and then admire your new extra garden feature.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im loving the cress suggestion!

CheesybeanZ – Member

3 weeks and you still haven’t reported it !
    Like I say its more of an irritation at present, Im prepared to give someone some leeway, i.e. gone away on holiday, but its starting to be an annoyance. Mainly because we have to park in front of someone else’s house, which then has a cascade effect on everyone else in the street.

me1tdown
    Free Member

I find fix my street very useful for things like this.

You can report a range of problems by location directly to the correct department in the local council. There is a section for abandoned vehicles.

nuke

Can’t see it being mentioned previously so what make/model and age of car is it? Does it look looked after? Normally, if it has value, its not likely to be abandoned unless it nicked.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its a Ford Focus C Max from 2003 I think. Its not ratty in my eyes, theres a few scuffs and marks. Think workhorse rather than thoroughbred!

Stevet1
    Free Member

OP I think you have a perfectly valid gripe and admire your patience.
    On the other hand a friend of a friend has a house with a driveway to park their car in but still goes mental when people park in front of their house. So much so that they often park their car in front of the house and borrow a relatives car to go to work in.

bigyinn
    Free Member

At least someone understands where im coming from. I thought I was being over-sensitive at times, but I can blame that on the idiot neighbour from a past residence who insisted on parking his Volvo (that was used for a couple of hours perhaps twice a month) in front of our house for over a year. He would even wait until we’d gone out before swapping it with one of his other cars whilst he used the volvo and then swapping back.
    It was a deliberate and spitful act. How do I know this? Because he had a hardstanding space in front of his house, yet still he chose to park the volvo in front of our house.
    Thats why im starting to get a little twitchy about this.

Dolcered

I think you have a valid reason for being annoyed.

Not so sure about the neighbour up here, who was roaring at another neighbour for daring to park on “his” bit of road. Doesn’t own a car, even if he did own a car he has a driveway.

passes his day i suppose.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You dont need the parking space the car is taking up, so what’s the problem? Otherwise:

1. There’s nothing illegal about parking on the road unless the vehicles abandoned

2. If its not legal then the police will take action

Nothing will happen unless you

a. talk to the driver, what I would do
    b. report it

I really cant see your problem, talk to the guy or report it.

Dickyboy

OP – years ago I left my car to be serviced at the local garage & asked them to pop it back on my drive & drop the key through the letter box when they’d finished, meanwhile I buggered off to Oz for 3 weeks & yep you’ve guessed the mechanic left it on the road outside my neighbours house, all over xmas & new year too so there might just be a logical explanation

doris5000

Nothing will happen unless you

a. talk to the driver, what I would do

😆

yeah bigyinn, talk to the driver! Come on man, shape up for goodness sake. There’s a war on, you know

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Car with no MOT (apparently) parked outside our house.’ is closed to new replies.