Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Car Winter Tyres (again/already) – when to fit them?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’d usually leave it till mid/late November to fit them, but the forecast is that it’ll be going very cold this weekend, and I’m off to the Lakes next week.

Worth fitting them sooner rather than later, or is it likely to go mild again.

What does the mindset of STW think?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Over in der Vaterland I usually wait until the first heavy frosts and then change to the winter tyres. Usually around the end of October. But seeing as this last weekend we were basking in summer style sunshine (25 degrees!! 8) ) I’ll be waiting a while longer this year.

footflaps

The earlier you fit them the better the availability and chance of haggling for a discount. Once snow falls everyone wants them and pays full whack….

EDIT: I left mine on all last year and didn’t notice any difference in handling. They went with the car when I scrapped it last month.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

Fit them before you know you’ll need them. Unless you do starship milage each week there’s no real wear penalty. I leave them on all year.

Most years the ave uk temp only drops to winter tyre recommended temps for two or three weeks. But being the uk guessing when those weeks are is a bit…… Um……. Guessy.

oddjob
    Free Member

I always put mine on the weekend after I should have done it and take them off before we go anywhere at Easter.

Getting a new car on wednesday this week and they will be fitted from day 1.

(BTW we are in Scandinavia)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

better the availability and chance of haggling for a discount

I already own them, sitting on a set of steel wheels in the loft.

Hmm, no big trips planned until Christmas when I’ll definitely be wanting them, so maybe they’ll be going on on saturday.

maccruiskeen

Ps. If you are buying them rather than fitting and existing set you can’t buy them too soon. Winter tyres are manufactured in the summer, by the time you need them they are mostly sold out and you’ll pay a premium for what is available.

Markie
    Free Member

After a mix up with the garage I’ve already had mine fitted… they were on for four days last month :/

They improve performance at 7 degrees and below, so I’ll be waiting until mid November I think.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

..going off at a slight tangent..

Has anyone had any experience of “all season” tyres?

The reason I ask is that at approaching £200 each for winter tyres for my car (run flats :-/ ), an all-year option seems a more attractive proposition!

pennine
    Free Member

Ordered replacement winter tyres in August for car 1 and are stored at the tyre fitters. Tyres for car 2 are stored in my cellar from last winter. Probably fit both sets in next couple of weeks

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Has anyone had any experience of “all season” tyres?

I’d imagine they’re jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.

Do you have to fit Run-Flat winter tyres too?
    Can you not use “normal” winter tyres on a second set of rims?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ir_bandito

Unfortunately if I fit non run-flat tyres to my car it will no longer be covered by it’s warranty! I’ve been quoted wibble about how the suspension is designed only to work with the firmer sidewalls of run-flat tyres etc.

Autoexpress I think it was, did a test where they fitted standard tyres to a car that should use run-flats and it apparently increased the stopping distance by 4 metres or something or other… *shrugs*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you get winter tyres in a 130/70-12….. For my Vespa? 😉

Id consider it, if there was such a thing, being as I’m going to be on it all year round from now…

piemonster

Ahh, winter tyres time. Looking forward to ice in Pitmedden. What can possibly go wrong.

maccruiskeen

for Poddy

made by IRO

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Living in Sheffield (at about 700 feet up) and owning a RWD car, I’m particularly looking forward to the snow 😯

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Car Winter Tyres (again/already) – when to fit them?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts