Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • car warranty question
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Not sure since reading the warranty documents which came with my car only 7weeks ago if I’m covered. I suspect the clutch master or slave cylinder has started to fail, at 26k it looks early.
    Obviously the clutch, like brake shoes and tyres aren’t covered under the warranty, but would you think the master cylinder or hydraulic system be covered?
    Bloody hope so.

br
    Free Member

Find out first what is actually wrong, then go from there.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Cylinders should be covered by the warranty as they’re not a wear and tear part.
    When I used to work for Mercedes, we’d cover the cylinders and any consequential damage. For instance, if the slave cylinder started leaking and wrecked the clutch disc, the disc would also be covered by the warranty.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

inconsistant clutch pedal. 80% it works fine then the bite pint goes towards the floor , never on the floor just off it, and the gear select become very difficult and requires a strong pull. then it goes away again.
    can’t predict it when it’s going to happen. left us at a roundabout dead stuck yesterday.

blurty

If you pump the pedal, does it work better?

are you sure it’s hydraulic?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

It is Hydro, pumping does seam to improve it a bit but not enough.
    Slightly worried my 7 weeks of Skoda Ownership are about to start really badly.

weeksy

I’ve had similar recently and yes it was and indeed still is covered.

I’m swapping mine for a new/different car tomorrow.

It had a new clutch master cylinder last week under warranty (3 weeks into ownership)

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

that should be a relief to everyone. thanks

weeksy

p.s Yes it was a second hand/used car, 2008 Honda CR-V.

wafty
    Free Member

depends on the warranty.. we use warranty wise and there are bronze, silver, gold and platinum all cover different things

weeksy

wafty – Member
    depends on the warranty.. we use warranty wise and there are bronze, silver, gold and platinum all cover different things

Shouldn’t really be a factor on a car after just 7 weeks though as it’s within dealer selling regulations rather than the 3rd party warranty?

wafty
    Free Member

DOH!! I missed that bit .. yep take it back

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Just had thd car looked at – cant find the same fault but they’ve said the clutch is slipping.
    Am I screwed even though I’ve owned it 7 weeks?

steveh

No, it’s not a warranty issue. The vehicle is not fit for purpose given a failure in such a short time. The seller may choose to limit his risk by providing a warranty but that means diddly squat in terms of your rights.

porter_jamie

clutch system engineer here, for major oem. something is clearly wrong with the clutch and or actuation system. bite point on the floor implies air in the system and or a leak. clutch slipping means either something wrong with the clutch, or you have abuse it lots (possible in 7 weeks, oh yes) or something wierd going on with the actuation which is holding the clutch partially disengaged – unlikely.

pumping the pedal when there is air in the system makes the pedal feel better temporarily because the air gets turned into an emulsion and the fluid acts as if there is loads less air in there, until the air comes out as bigger bubbles again.

get it back to skoda. i can’t believe they wont want to sort it out completely.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Thanks that makes sense. I’ve called skoda uk and they are looking into it.
    Also spoken to trading standards too.

weeksy

Why are you dealing with anyone other than where you bought it?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Because they weren’t interested.

weeksy

They have no choice mate,it’s the law

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

second opnion time i think.

mrmo
    Free Member

26k, how old? less than 3yrs ? is it still under manufacturers warranty?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Its under their 12 month used car warranty. If it was new it would all be sorted. Going to ask an independent garage to have a look and confirm. This will allow Skoda UK to get in touch with the dealership and see whats going on.

Then I have the option to write to both the dealership and my credit card and make them jointly liable for the damage to be put right.

This is according to Trading standards.

Don’t want a fight but its coming to this.

landcruiser
    Free Member

You need to read your warranty documentation that should establish whether or not the item is covered. Firstly confirm what has failed/failing. I doubt that the policy covers diagnosis. You may need to pay for this.If the item is covered “happy days!” Though if you have any problems , explain this to the people you bought the car from and…. Give them the opportunity to get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Then … Well repost I guess !

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Suggesting the clutch is failing as it’s ‘slipping slightly’ This doesn’t sound like what happened to the clutch pedal feel and lack of clutch travel, then magically it went away.
    I thought a clutch failed either totally or very very slowly got closer to the ground. A clutch that fixes itself could be worth loads.

weeksy

landcruiser – Member
    You need to read your warranty documentation that should establish whether or not the item is covered. Firstly confirm what has failed/failing. I doubt that the policy covers diagnosis

No he doesn’t…. the Warranty has nothing to do with it in large print, small print or even teensy tiny print.

It’s only 7 weeks into ownership, the car is covered under sales of goods act and being fit for purpose.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘car warranty question’ is closed to new replies.