Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Car warranty advice
  • Pembo
    Free Member

Is it illegal to drive a car in the dark with your headlights on but none of the dashboard lights (speedo) illuminated. I’m pretty sure it is illegal but what are the legal technical details? Reason I ask this is the mrs car has this problem when the temperature goes below 4 degrees but the dashboard will light up when the car gets warm, which did take up to 15 minutes when the weather was really cold. Car has been into the dealers twice now but the weather has been mild so the problem doesn’t occur. Dealer is trying to wash their hands of the problem so what should I do?

jam-bo

do you even need a speedo?

coffeeking
    Free Member

You don’t need a speedo to pass MOT, but it is in the constructions and use legislation I think. Ultimately no, it’s not illegal I’m fairly sure, but that’s unimportant – there’s a fault with the car, if it is covered by warranty they should fix it – it requires no more legal implication than that.

Remember it’s not even illegal to drive without headlights if you’re in a street lit area, I don’t think dash lights factor at all.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The only ones the MOT is interested in are the tell tale for the indicators and the rear fog lights.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Car warranty advice’ is closed to new replies.