Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car valuation question
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Righto, I have a '55 reg Focus C-Max 1.6TDCi with 55,000 miles on the clock. Parkers price guide puts it about £5k for part-ex.
    If it had a brand new engine (long story) how much value would it add?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

From a buyers point of view – virtually nothing.

A modern motor engine is barely run in at 55k.

To need a new one is suggestive to a buyer of a major fault on the old unit. The unspoken conclusion is possible faulty servicing, lack of maintanace or bad driving, all of which have ramifications for other components.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

hmmm.
    ok, I'll elaborate the story.
    We missed a single service at 20,000 ish miles. subsequently, the turbo blew up. It was replaced. Now, it turns out that more permanent damage has been done to the top-end due to swarf/carbon-build up. It has been serviced since and we've had no actual problems with it.
    If buy the new engine and turbo, would it be worth it? Or take the £1350 from webuyanycar.com (carcraft) for a non-runner.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CHB

fix it. £1500?
    Sell for £4000 plus. Has to be a no brainer?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Fix it for £1500? That'd be nice. Quote from Ford garage is £4600 all in, of which £3k is the engine.
    I've sourced a 900-old mile one in a scrapyard for £750, so say £1750 all in to fix it on the cheap.

You see the dilema?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I'd consider going to one of those outfits that do "exchange" engines, rather than "scrapyard finds". They'll fit them for you same day, and might take the old engine in exchange.

Look in Exchange and Mart or Autotrader, loads of places do them. Probably cheaper, and tbh, the charnces are you'll even get a limited warranty.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers jujuu, but the engine is pretty much written off – damage to camshaft, top and and probably bottom end. That's why it needs replacing…
    Engine exchange places will only swap for servicable engines.

MikeG

serviceable normally only means not dismantled and with no big holes in the side, certainly when I used to sell vege engines that was their only criteria for refunding the surcharge.

Aidy
    Free Member

If anything, I'd've thought that a car with a replaced engine would be worth less than a similar car with it's original engine…

CHB
    hora
    Free Member

OP. Bit more info. You missed a service, was the turbo replaced by Ford FOC? Im wondering if you could approach Ford for a further contribution due to the damage missed by the mechanics TBH. Have you exhausted this route? I'd also post your dilemma on http://www.pistonheads.com/forum before you shell out of your own pocket.

An engine shouldnt go terminal after missing one service unless the oil (or other fluid) ran dry. Then it is your fault I guess.

Could you elaborate on this?

MikeG

It has been serviced since and we've had no actual problems with it.

Does it still run without major powerloss/noise/smoke?

Or take the £1350 from webuyanycar.com (carcraft) for a non-runner.

Just not sure why if you've had no problems you'd need to take a non runner price.

Assuming it still drives and you've got enough money to buy something from a dealer, thats what I'd do – they will give you a part ex price based on book value, they may walk round it to check for body damage but I doubt they would drive it.

If it's not running then get the cheapest backstreet exchange engine you can then visit a dealer and part ex it.

takisawa2

We had a simmilar story with a 4yr old Corolla some years ago. Oil light started flickering / tappety sounds, typical low oil pressure symptoms. Turned out an oil change was missed & engine was sludged up. Toyota wanted £5k to fit a new engine, what annoyed me was that they just expected me to give them the nod, "Shall we drop a new one in then ?" was literally what the Toyota oink said on the phone.

Day in the garage, sump-off, rocker cover-off, Forte engine flush run through for an hour & was as good as new, oil pressure right up to spec.
    Car ran without fault for another 30k till we part-exed it.

Take it to a real garage, ie: not a Ford dealer.
    If its compressions are ok, oil pressure ok, no knocking etc, then a good flush through might just save it. The technical guy at Forte was a mine of info, the stuff is trade only so you'll need to buy it through a garage.

hora
    Free Member

Worse comes to the worse, I'd source a secondhand engine, shop around for the best fit-price and then sell on privately. Either that or keep it (as its cost you alot of money to sort) and run it into the ground.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car valuation question’ is closed to new replies.