Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Car V5/tax situation
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Realised today I’d not taxed my car (yellow sticker, now in private car park to avoid the clamp). Don’t they send/email reminders?

Can’t find my V5, only the old one, no idea how I taxed it last year (right after I bought it).

Seems I need to apply for a new V5 at the Post Office and hope they will let me tax it there?

scotroutes

You should have a V11 reminder. That has a ref no on it.

https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-without-v11-reminder

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

if you didnt get a v11 are you sure you actually got the v5 that you now can’t find?

I was in the same situation a few years back- v5 never got sent – it’s difficult to notice something not arriving- and come time to renew no v11 either. I was stuck with my van off the road for a month waiting for them to send one

no idea how I taxed it last year (right after I bought it).

You can use the new keepers suppliment ( the tear off bit of the previous owners v5) to tax it – but only for a few weeks after the transfer of ownership.

Alphabet

This year was the first year I didn’t get a reminder in the post and had to use my V5. I only noticed by chance that it was due.

tmb467
    Free Member

In order to prevent this kind of thing occurring I use the monthly direct debit so I only need to remember to keep it MOTd

If you’ve not got the V11 or V5 then you’ll need to apply via post office. What’s the yellow sticker about?

Kahurangi

I created an event in my calendar called “Car VED Due” and set it to recur annually, not that that helps you right now…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yellow sticker is from the DVLA warnign you are about to get clamped.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You say you have the old v5.

Sounds like you didn’t send the v5 away to have the owner changed.

This is why I always send the signed v5 away my self when j sell acar

sbob
    Free Member

Can’t find my V5, only the old one

trail rat has it.
    You never registered the car in your name and must have taxed it on the old V5.

milky1980
    Free Member

This is why I always send the signed v5 away myself when I sell a car.

It’s the seller’s legal responsibility now, says so on the V5! If you haven’t registered the car in your name and address then the previous owner is legally responsible for the VED until they inform the DVLA of a change of registered keeper.

Sounds like you used the green section to tax it last time, as others have said above. Here’s the info box from my V5:

[/url]20170531_125151 by Da_Milky_Bar_Kid, on Flickr[/img]

You should have received the V5 a month after buying your car provided the seller registered a change of ownership. You should have chased this up with the DVLA when it did not arrive. I’ve had to sort out a similar situation after my mum bought a new car last year, sadly she found out when her car was clamped for no VED and once we had sorted out the registration docs she got a 2 parking fines and a speeding ticket!

Yellow sticker is from the DVLA warnign you are about to get clamped.

At the end of every month the DVLA wagon goes round my estate putting these on, he’s round the next day with clamps. Usually gets 4-5 cars each time! Currently got a Mini, a BMW, an MR2 and a Transit with clamps on. Last month he took an Accord, a T5 camper and a Rover 25. Only the T5 has returned. They are a lot hotter on no VED since the tax disc was abolished.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well equally I also push to send it my self or send it while I’m with the seller when I’m buying as well. Trust no one never be disappointed
    😉

Lotta scumbags try this to stop the car getting registered in their name-calling ergo no fine. Cars where abouts disappears off the register.

cynic-al
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

You say you have the old v5.

Sounds like you didn’t send the v5 away to have the owner changed.

This is why I always send the signed v5 away my self when j sell acar

I thought it was the seller’s job (and as a bit of teh V5 was torn off, presumed he’d done it.)

Anyway the PO were able to tax the car on th old V5, and send it off for me, and told me reminders ARE sent our for teh expiry of VED.

Happy days! 🙂

jam-bo

I got fined for not sending off V5. sold a car to a mate of a mate pretty cheap. foolishly trusted him when he said he’d sort it out.

when I got sent a tax demand 6 months later I called up to tell them I had sold it on they were happy to cancel the demand but fined me £50 I think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you had a v5 with the bit torn out …..

the eejits sent off the new keepers suppliment that hes supposed to give you.

which is about 1/8th of an a4 bit of paper and is greem.

if you had the rest of the v5 thats the bit thats supposed to be sent off with your details written on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The top right 1/4 was missing.

Will this come back to bite my arse?

I’m hoping to rely on “well Post Office Counters did it”

tmb467
    Free Member

Once it’s taxed then everything else will just be fine

Have a look on DVLA site to check it

Dvla

And if V5 doesn’t turn up in a few weeks then ring em

maccruiskeen

The top right 1/4 was missing.

The top right corner was the bit you should have been given. The bit you’ve got is the bit that should have been sent to the dvla a year ago by the seller. The reason you’ve not got a new v5 is precisely because you’ve got the old one-the dvla doesn’t know the car has changed hands the seller is still the registered keeper and probably is wondering why he just got a reminder for VED.

The v5 has words on it- maybe you should read them 🙂

The po will have sold you VED on the basis of the v5 – to the person named on that v5, not to the new keeper. Something interesting is going to happen when you update the v5 to your name / address- the VED you’ve just paid for will be refunded to the previous owner (nice surprise for them) and you’ll have an untaxed car again. You’ve also been sold insurance on the basis that you’re the registered keeper- which you’re currently not.

maccruiskeen

Acrtually the very top right is the bit you’d use if selling to a trader- are both sections missing? 9 and 10?

scotroutes

Nah. You complete the V5 where it says “new keeper” and they tax it in the name of the new keeper.

I’ve just done this today.

Pay the money. Hand over the form. They send the whole thing away. A few weeks later you get the V5 back in your name.

cynic-al
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    …the VED you’ve just paid for will be refunded to the previous owner (nice surprise for them) and you’ll have an untaxed car again. You’ve also been sold insurance on the basis that you’re the registered keeper- which you’re currently not.

They send out a checque do they? And my insurance is valid?

Car showing as taxed OK

scotroutes

Taxed in your name?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It doesn’t show a name.

maccruiskeen

This has the potential to get tedious 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

andyl
    Free Member

what he means is the previous owner could now cancel the tax and get a check for 11 months back from the DVLA.

You need to get a V5 asap. Without it you have no proof of ownership.

Fill out one of these: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/471730/V62_030815.pdf

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does the fact that the PO took bits of the V5 and sent them off not cover that?

trail_rat
    Free Member

You need to get a V5 asap. Without it you have no proof of ownership.

and with it you also have no proof of owner ship……

the signed sales reciept you (did??) get when you bought it is your proof of ownership and transaction date.. assuming it was theirs to sell…

Previous owner probably been getting all your speeding fines and parking tickets too AL 😉

scotroutes

cynic-al – Member
    Does the fact that the PO took bits of the V5 and sent them off not cover that?

Yep, that should pretty much cover it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

New V5 arrived yesterday 8)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Car V5/tax situation’ is closed to new replies.