Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car tyres with a track pump
  • UpQuickDownSlow

I used to have a foot pump, but it broke. It seems you can’t buy a decent quality one these days. Ever since I’ve used my (27 year old) SKS Rennkompressor track pump. It works OK, but does require a lot of strokes, and I suffer from arm fade!

I was wondering if a high-volume track pump would work well. Anyone tried?

scotroutes

MTFU. I do my van with a track pump (up to 60psi) and I’m 58.

Check them more regularly if you’re so weak you can’t get a decent bit of air in a car tyre.

Cougar

You’re both nuts.

Use a petrol station or buy a 12V compressor.

Otherwise, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-25996-Double-Cylinder-Foot-Pump/dp/B0001K9RFI

CheesybeanZ

MTFU +1 I use mine on my van at mere 53 .

scotroutes

50p for air from a filling station. You bloody southerners! I suppose you get your chauffeur to do it for you.

Northwind

I’ve done it, with my old airtower. It was very unpleasant, but also, the pump barrel ended up so hot you couldn’t touch it. That’s probably not good for the gubbins, these things aren’t designed for extended use.

Rattly compressors are cheap and easy. One with a digital read and a cutout so you don’t have to watch it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooh what an opportunity to have a hilarious go at druid for being tight 😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

put 22 psi in a car tyre once with a SKS

Agreed not good for it or for me

Happy to watch Scots do one without stopping

johnnystorm

I use mine all the time for the van/car. How long have you been driving about with flat tyres that you can overheat a track pump topping them up?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I was wondering if a high-volume track pump would work well. Anyone tried?

Yup, I use an MTB specific one (forget the name, wider bore, higher volume) and it works out at about 10 strokes per psi on a 215/55/17 tyre. nae bother.

oldnpastit

I’ve done it, with a steel-bodied Giant track pump. It’s fine, if a bit hard work.

Foot pumps are useless these days, and the electric ones from Halfords are useless and noisy.

chiefgrooveguru

Works fine, better than an annoying foot pump. Been doing it for years, since my 12V compressor broke.

chiefgrooveguru

It may be harder work if your car has fashionably large wheels and tyres – mine are only 215/45R17.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

My old Landy had one behind the seats!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car tyres with a track pump’ is closed to new replies.