Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car tyres (and a question about tracking / uneven wear)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Need new fronts, The current prestivo’s have done a smidge over 20,000miles and the inside 25% on the front has worn down to almost the indicator while the outside is still about 3-4mm (so it’s wearing about 50% quicker than it should). Is this likely to be the tracking or just because I’ve done 80% of those miles on the motorway (i.e. would the outside be worn if I’d ever actualy gone round a corner?). The rears which were on the front untill the current fronts went on this time last year are also slightly more worn on the inside, so either both axles are setup to wear them on the inside (unlikley to be deliberate so we’ll assume that proves the motorways wear them odly theory) or they just too on that wear whilst on the front.

I’d ask for oppinions of what tyres, but everyone will just recomend whatever they’ve paid for, and refer to pirellis as ditch hunters so i’ll stick with what’s on there unless the garrage has anything on special offer.

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s likely that the ‘uneven’ wear is due to camber. In your case, it would be negative camber. Most cars nowadays do not allow for any adjustments to camber angle, so it will be something you’ll have to live with, unless of course there is an eccentric bolt (typically) on the lower part of the front suspension strut.

You’ll notice this wear particularly if you do many motorway miles as the negative camber gives the wheel/tyre a top-in stance when looked at from in front or behind (check the open wheel F1 cars for more aggressive angles). Effectively, the negative camber enables a fuller contact patch with the road surface when cornering and therefore, better grip.

It would also be worth having the tracking checked btw just incase.

Hope that helps

jam-bo

get the 3D laser tracking done. sorted out uneven tyre wear on my A3.

hasnt sorted out the wear rate but that might be driver influenced.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s likely that the ‘uneven’ wear is due to camber. In your case, it would be negative camber…………….You’ll notice this wear particularly if you do many motorway miles as the negative camber gives the wheel/tyre a top-in stance when looked at from in front or behind

That’s pretty much what I was thinking and the lack of cornering/bodyroll wasn’t wearing the outer edges at the same rate. Might check and see if the next set are symetrical and then swap them L/R after about 10,000miles and get the current backs swapped anyway even if they’re not wearing asymetricaly to see if they end up even, the suspensions indementant so they could have put camber into the rear as well.

Taff
    Free Member

In my experience, albeit limited in comparison with others, camber issues have been a result in either wear or an accident. Get the tracking checked using lazers and if worried get the camber looked at.

Don’t let the work on the car but 50% discount at National – National Tyres

hasnt sorted out the wear rate but that might be driver influenced.

Everyone I know with an A3 goes through tyres at a rate of knots!

tinsy
    Free Member

I wouldnt think its camber, it just needs tracking, and if the rears are worn on the inside its from when you had them on the front!

Just get it tracked and report back in 20k miles…

jam-bo

Everyone I know with an A3 goes through tyres at a rate of knots!

4000 miles and only 3mm left on my rears!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car tyres (and a question about tracking / uneven wear)’ is closed to new replies.