Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Car tyre replacement, front only – all season or regular ?
  • iainc

Wife’s Kia Soul needs new front tyres, they are daft low profile things. Currently on original (dunno what brand) tyres and back ones are good for another approx 10k miles (car has done 24k). So should I splash a little extra for ‘4 season/all season’ type ones on the driving wheels ? Car does about 6k miles pa and I don’t want to replace the rears yet. WOuld probably go to blackcircles for supply and fit.

Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

apparently you will priouette into oblivion in a flaming ball of death ….

but ive never had an issue with this.

how ever if your wife drives digitally then it would be wise to swap all 4

iainc

LOL 😆

I though the ‘swop all 4’ advice was more for ‘winter’ rather than ‘all seasons’ ones ? I’m definately not binning the perfectly good rear ones so if that was the case I’d just get ‘normal’ front ones and accept the status quo that has always prevailed.

I also do not plan to swop from ‘all season’ to ‘summer’ ones, whatever I buy will be staying on yr round. We dont live in a remote highland glen, although it can be a wee bit snowy in the heights of South Lanarkshire 🙂

footflaps

I just put winter tyres on the front and never had any problem in snow and ice…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would have no season throwing a set of all seasons at my car.

but have been flamed on here in the past for suggesting that i do this…. and have done for 4 or so years now.

iainc

decisions 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Winter tyres, all season tyres etc etc are only as good as the ones on the car in front of you. I’ve said that for years.

iainc

Will see how the prices compare, thanks for ideas.

slowoldman

I just put black round things on. 2 at a time generally.

daveh
    Free Member

Just looked at this for other halfs car (185/65/15), +25% seemed to be the premium. Decided against it.

butcher

I though the ‘swop all 4’ advice was more for ‘winter’ rather than ‘all seasons’ ones ?

Standard advice is to fit the newest tyres to the rear. For pretty much the same reasons it is advised against fitting winters to the front, but most notably when aquaplaning – as I understand it.

One thing I will say, is that the winters and the ‘all season’ tyres I’ve used, have been in no way even similar. The winters have been leagues ahead in normal winter conditions. Don’t expect them to be a happy medium. I think I’d maybe go for a high performance winter tyre for year round driving next.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I think I’d maybe go for a high performance winter tyre for year round driving next.

Then you’ll be changing your tyres a lot then. One of the main reasons they are much better in winter is because the compound is much softer.

butcher

Then you’ll be changing your tyres a lot then. On of he main reasons they are much better in winter is because the compound is much softer.

I’m no tyre expert, but I’ve done a fair bit of research, and the general consensus is that modern winters wear only marginally faster than any other tyres. In fact there’s some claims that they last longer! I can’t remember which it was, but either the AA or RAC recommended winter tyres for year round driving if you only buy one set.

I’m happy to be corrected on any of this, and always interested in real world experiences.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m happy to be corrected on any of this, and always interested in real world experiences.

I have been using winter and summer tyres for the last 14 years here in Germany and in my experience the winter tyres wear out a lot quicker than summer tyres.

spooky_b329

All Seasons are miles better than running Summers all year round.

Fit them to the back (as the fitter should recommend anyway) and put the old rears on the front and it will still handle safely (i.e. understeer if pushed)

Stick them on the front and it could get a little over-steery especially in a panic brake/swerve.

My wife had all seasons and ran them for 36,000 over 24 months before they needing replacing.

timba
    Free Member

Standard advice is to fit the newest tyres to the rear. For pretty much the same reasons it is advised against fitting winters to the front, but most notably when aquaplaning – as I understand it.

I always thought that aquaplaning is more likely at the front tyres than the rear, or am I at cross-purposes here? Ride Drive
    Have a look at FAQ 10 here too Dunlop

flossie
    Free Member

Been running full winter tyres on the front of Vicky Pea’s car for two years solid with absolutely no issues! In the past I’ve run a full set of winter tyres on my work van 12months of the year again with absolutely no issues. In the winter though, they are superbe! I drive past 4wd’s stuck in the snow!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Car tyre replacement, front only – all season or regular ?’ is closed to new replies.