Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car tyre repair?
  • bruk

We are away for a few days up in Dundee for a break when I notice the near side rear looks a little soft. Pump it up with the pump then close inspection shows a nail in the middle part of the tread, ie one of the deep grooves, seems to be holding so must be a slowish puncture.

Non run flats, anyone know if that can be repaired and if so where in Dundee is good and trustworthy?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Franks fast fit in dundee

If your in the arbroath side then arbroat mconecheys pretty good. Run by an old mate.

butcher

Should be OK to be repaired I think. Usually they won;t do it if it’s in or near the sidewall.

properbikeco
    Free Member

easy fix if in middle of tyre – just check you have enough tread left to make the repair worthwhile – under 3mm i’d just get a new tyre

Frankenstein
    Free Member

As long there as isn’t damage to the wall or cracks – tyre places will soon tell you how bad it is.

bruk

Cheers for that. Winter wheels due to come off when we get home but still a decent amount of tread, certainly another season as a full winter left in them. Staying out Broughty Ferry way so will check out those ones thanks TR.

bruneep

Had this week, nail in tyre less than 10k miles near but not at sidewall. Lots of teeth sucking he declared that I needed a new tyre.

I questioned this and did mucho googling until I found the nail was was well within the area T that repairs can be done. They were clearly after a new tyre off me.

bruk

Yeah, that’s kind of why I want to find somewhere kind of trustworthy so don’t get ripped off.

benji
    Free Member

Centre of the tread is a repairable area, the problem comes when a tyre is run too much whilst under the correct tyre pressure, as it damages the structure of the sidewalls, which then renders it dangerous to carry on using.

bruk

Cheers Bruneep, will take a copy with me.

oldnick

I’ve used tubeless repair anchovies in motorbike tyres and car tyres to good effect, although obviously I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do so as certain death awaits.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The last time I enquired about a puncture repair they said the rules were if it is within the central 3/4 of the tyre width and the tyre hasn’t been completely flat then you’re ok. If its gone completely flat then the rim crimping/pinching the sidewall could have caused structural damage to the tyre sidewall (though I don’t know how they can be sure the tyre hasn’t been allowed to fully deflate – they only have your word to go off). Anything near or in the sidewall is a no no apparently.

benji
    Free Member

though I don’t know how they can be sure the tyre hasn’t been allowed to fully deflate – they only have your word to go off

You can see wear in the inside of the tyre, and there is usually a load of rubber dust if it’s been seriously under inflated and run.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car tyre repair?’ is closed to new replies.