Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Car turbo question.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

After the recent problems with the car, an new turbo was fitted, my wallet cleared out and the car returned. 😕

The replacement turbo now clearly kicks in at about 3.000rpm, but from 2.000-3.000rpm there is nothing, leading to lots of gear changing to keep the revs at about 3k. The original unit was not noticable, to the point that I wasn’t aware the car had a turbo!!

Clearly the car is going back to the garage to be sorted, but I’d like to know how to get it back to reasonable performance. Is it an electronic (ecu/mapping) problem? Or mechanical, screw adjustment?

Is it the garage’s responsibility? Or am I going to be hit with another bill?
    More info the better before I kick ass… 😈

hora
    Free Member

Well IMO they should not hit you with a ‘diagnostic bill’ as clearly their handiwork is related to the turbo being fitted. So its part of the original problem IMO.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends on the car, the turbo they fitted etc etc.

If they have changed the size/type of turbo it could be that. If they’ve changed from a VNT type turbo to a normal type it could be that. Essentially unless it’s a different turbo you should only see the boost kicking in earlier (less wear etc) and smoother accel.

But there’s a few points. The old one could have been fairly poor peak output and the new one now actually kicks – it’s pretty rare not to notice a turbo in a turbo’d car, which makes me suspect that previously your turbo was shafted and gave you little/no benefit. In which case there’s nothing they can do – the car is now working properly.

Too many variables to answer that question I’m afraid.

sobriety
    Free Member

it could be a Peugeot thing, I’ve got a 407 Hdi, and it’s got bugger all below 2000rpm when the turbo spools up.

donsimon
    Free Member

it’s pretty rare not to notice a turbo in a turbo’d car, which makes me suspect that previously your turbo was shafted and gave you little/no benefit. In which case there’s nothing they can do – the car is now working properly.

It’s a Pug 206, my previous experience with Pugs was a 405 1.9tdi which had a clear kick when the turbo came in. The 206 was bought practically from new and never had any noticable kick when the turbo came in and would pull from low revs without problems.
    The new turbo has me working down the gearbox just to reduce the rate that speed is being lost. 😯
    Hills that I could cruise up in 5th gear are now a struggle, revving it’s t1ts off in 2nd.

Fair comment about type and size though, but at the moment there is nothing. 😥

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could you try running through a couple of tankfulls of one of those engine cleaning products, redex etc? I’m thinking (with no experience to back this up)

-turbo blown
    -lots of oil running through the engine
    -glazed cylinder bores

glenh
    Free Member

Try disconnecting the battery for a bit to reset the ecu.
    If it hasn’t been reset since the problems, it may need it, since most ecus are ‘learning’ type ones these days, or so I’m lead to believe.

It does sound like something mechanical still isn’t right though (like they fitted the wrong turbo).

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s a VNT turbo, the vacuum hose might be off or not properly connected up…

Cougar

Generalising wildly, I think there’s a difference between turbo diesels and turbo petrols (or perhaps, old and new turbos).

I remember the Renault 5 GT Turbo would happily kick you square in the kidneys and, if it spun up at the wrong moment, throw you into a hedge for your troubles. The recent TDs I’ve driven by comparison, I only ever noticed the turbo when it failed and then the car ran like a lemon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cougar, quite right. Most turbos now are variable geometry or VNT – there are these little vanes that direct more or less exhaust gas onto the turbine blades at various angles. So when there’s not much flow you can put it all onto the turbine, getting it spun up faster, then when there’s lots you only need siphon off a little bit to get the boost you want, being sure not to create too much.

Modern turbo petrols have amazingly flat torque curves for this reason I think.

With regards the OP, if the vanes were stuck at a certain point and/or some forgetful mechanic had forgotten to connect the actuator up, you’d only get useful boost at certain speeds.

donsimon
    Free Member

/or some forgetful mechanic had forgotten to connect the actuator up, you’d only get useful boost at certain speeds.

I’ve just been for a quick look and everything appears to be connected, but, of course, I don’t really know what I’m looking at/for!

Anyone know of an on-line bookstore that accepts Paypal where I could buy the manual?

LHS
    Free Member

Check all hoses for splits as well. Had a long running battle with problems with my turbo and it turned out to be 3 separate problems – 2splits in Vac Hoses and one big split in the intercooler – turbo hose. Now running like a dream.

donsimon
    Free Member

NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUTVUCKING TUBES ANDFUCKING HOSES AS IT HAS JUSTFUCKINGBLOWN UP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off for a walk now with the dog, here’s a picture of the dog, enjoy.

jumping4 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

She looks like she’s laughing at me, doesn’t she???

molgrips
    Free Member

What blew up? The new turbo?

I’d be having words…

donsimon
    Free Member

Yep, the turbo….
    And it’ll be the legals from my insurance company who’ll be having words.

Does STW have the power to satisfy the desire for a collective wee into a selected shoe, across international borders?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Yes, we surely do. Poor you!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well at least it’s fixed the power delivery problem, you should be getting a new turbo from a garage that knows what it’s doing!

donsimon
    Free Member

Let’s wait and see what they offer. I assume they have insurance for this kind of thing. Fortunately this time I won’t be transportless as a kind soul has offered me the use of his motorbike, also it’s made me look at changing locations to somewhere nearer the city. Clouds, silver linings and things like that. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Car turbo question.’ is closed to new replies.