Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car trailer advice – camping, bikes, tip runs – what to look at?
  • djflexure

Holidays would be easier with a trailer – lots of choice from home made on eBay upwards. Many seem quite old but I guess they tend not to get used so much.

Ideally it would be weather proof and might take a rack for top box/ bike racks.

Anybody out there with knowledge/ experience? I would have to get something quite soon.

chorlton
    Free Member

We have quite a big one for camping we bought off a friend who built it himself. Takes 5 bikes on a rack on the lid. If you are not used to towing with a trailer then get practising before you go. You don’t want to have to try reversing on small country lane when you meet a car coming the other way. Can be very embarrassing. Best to get a decent sized one as I find the tiny trailers a right pain to reverse. Also, doesn’t matter how large a trailer is you’re bound to fill it full. 🙂

redstripe
    Free Member

‘Anssems’ are great in my opinion having had several trailers over the years. They do ones with covers. Not the cheapest but are well made and have decent running gear and wheel sizes. Hold their price well on ebay though, try local gumtree serach too if buying 2nd hand. Cheers

djflexure

Thanks, bit of experience with trailer so not too worried. Anssems look good, had never heard of them.
    Will poke about a bit on eBay etc

geoffj

Brenderup 1150 with a cover if you can find one.
    Excellent trailers.

spooky_b329

Definitely get one that’s nearly as wide as the car. If it’s too narrow it’ll be already be off course before you see it, and if your expecting it in one mirror and it goes the other way you’ll need to take a shunt forward to avoid jack knifing it.

If it’s a tiny bit narrow you can add those rubbolight bendy marker reflectors they put on LGVs so you can it in both mirrors.

I’d avoid anything home made.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I don’t know about the UK but over here in Germany the DIY stores all sell pretty reasonably priced aluminium trailers with a high framed roof. We’ve got one and it’s had a few years trouble free use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car trailer advice – camping, bikes, tip runs – what to look at?’ is closed to new replies.