Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car tax online system madness
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Got my renewal through, “renew online for entry into prize draw” bla bla….

My insurance and tax run out simultaneously – having bought a car and insurance for it at the same time, as millions of people must do.

Online system tells me I dont have insurance to cover the start of the tax period. Fair point, I’ll ring up and do my insurance…..insurance done, all active and sorted sir – will send out your certificate today. A few days later, no certificate but surely no problem – tries online tax again – no luck, stil no insurance. Call insurance…yes sir, can confirm its all ready to go on that date. Calls DVLA – apparently the records on the MID are only updated at the date of changeover (when my tax becomes invalid and they send out a fine), plus up to 7 days. So there is physically no way that I can do my tax online as I will always have the tax/insurance clash.

What a stupid system. I posed this to the man on the DVLA helpline. He agreed and said a remarkable number of people have the same problem, the only solution is to do it the old way (go into a PO) or spend the extra for a 6 month tax disc to stagger the dates.

What sort of a farcical system do they run at the DVLA/MID?! So now not only do i have to take time off work to tax my car at a PO, I also dont get to enter their prize draw for a car.

Idiots.

winstonsmith

do you want me to write to my mp for you?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

Think I might do it myself winston! I just find it slightly odd that a large government organisation can’t create a system that covers a very common occur…. ah there’s my mistake.

AlasdairMc

I know it’s not much help, but I’d just like to say thanks for your post as it reminded me I’ve still got to do mine.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You’re very welcome 🙂

vinnyeh

I know it’s not much consolation, but you’ve now (I think) got 7 days from the taxt expiry date to order a new disc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car tax online system madness’ is closed to new replies.