Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car Tax – A dealer actually trying to be nice shocker
  • Killer
    Free Member

So i’ve just bought a second hand car off a trader.
    He’d put 6 months tax onto it via going into the post office.

He suggested that I could delay sending off the V5 for a bit as it’d be a waste of the tax (as in he wouldn’t get it back and neither would I).

I can see that I’d have to declare on the insurance that I’m not the registered keeper for a bit, but how long would you want to do this for? FOr info the tax is paid for until end October, but I think I’d move it well before then.

For the record, I can’t see any scam aspects of this, all the log book details check out etc. All seemed legit.

but I’m struggling to see any unforeseen consequences? what else am I missing?

Am I being dumb?

bensales
    Free Member

Who is the registered keeper? The dealer?

It would have been far simpler for him to just knock the cost of 6 months tax off the price of the car.

maccruiskeen

A trader shouldn’t need to tax a car – so why have they taxed it?

Theres only one partial month’s tax in play to be gained / lost – seems like a pretty trivial amount of money to go to any bother over compared to the overall cost of the transaction and other costs like instance (or even a tank of fuel) – you’d likely get charged more than that for updating your insurance details when you do reregister.

Its a nice gesture by the dealer but it doesn’t really seem worth your while to take it up.

sbob
    Free Member

For the record, I can’t see any scam aspects of this, all the log book details check out etc.

You mean his logbook checks out.
    Did you get a receipt… 😯

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Surely, it’s in your best interests to get the car in your name – the dealer should have done this, not left it to you.

Does your insurance state an assumption along the lines of ‘killer is the owner and registered keeper of the car.’

He will get a tax refund for any full months remaining.

simon_g

Motor trade these days can do the paperwork with transferring vehicles online rather than sending in the slip. They also (as said) don’t need to tax vehicles if they’re being kept on private premises as they can use trade plates for test drives, trips to the MOT station, etc.

Sounds dodgy as hell. Is this a proper bricks and mortar trader, or a “buy and sell a few cars a month from home” trader? My best guess is something is amiss about the V5 or the car, and they plan to be long gone by the time you transfer it over.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Have you actually got the entire V5 (and a confirmation the car is taxed)?

Killer
    Free Member

Confirm the car is taxed. I have the complete V5 too. More of a private seller, but clearly business registered. Been there, seen the premises etc.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Get it insured in your name. Make sure the V5 is signed on the day you collect it and tax it online before driving it away. Don’t do anything other than this!

paul_m

We bought a car recently on the dealer put 6 months tax on the car but in our name, so could all be good

BigJohn

The tax is refunded (for any whole unused months) on the sale of a car. If he says HE won’t get it back then it implies the car is not his to sell. Unless he’s quibbling about the 18 days left for this month.

bails

More of a private seller, but clearly business registered.

It’s one or the other isn’t it?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Grumble grumble. New tax system is a rip off. Dealer loses half a months tax and you pay again for that half month

OP amounts are relatively minor I’d just get it in your name – as above their could (would) be an insurance issue if you had an accident between now and July. On your insurance form you had said you are the owner/registered keeper I imagine

maccruiskeen

Grumble grumble. New tax system is a rip off. Dealer loses half a months tax and you pay again for that half month

A ‘dealer’ wouldn’t lose anything

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car Tax – A dealer actually trying to be nice shocker’ is closed to new replies.