Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car stereo upgrades
  • DickBarton

Evening, recently got a Peugeot Partner Tepee and the radio isn’t that great and I’d like to change it. I’ve been spoiled by the hands-free experience of a Ford Fiesta as that worked very well with a great interface – reading texts aloud a great benefit!

Anyway, new system is poor and isn’t hands or eyes-free and I’d like to change it.

Current 1 din system with space for a 2 din. Ideally not a retracting screen as that will block my clock on the central console.

I’d like Bluetooth, USB – if I got 2 din then I’ll lose my USB port – radio, cd and perhaps option to add a reversing camera on it.

It would also need to connect to my steering wheel controls. I think the Partner’s steering wheel controls change the clock, so that needs to remain.

Would be nice to see text messages (would prefer they were read), but this seems to be a proprietary setting so ideally a scrollable and easy to use address book and means of accessing a number to call – voice activated would be even better.

Needs to be cheap – not free but it would need to be under 200 quid including fitting of it all…android head unit look good but are pricey so what else could do this in my price? I can do the work but unlikely to work properly so hopefully it would be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Reverse camera nice to have but not essential…if it had it then I’d want it fitted but not desperate for that.

Central Scotland in case that affects prices and options.

Thanks.

DickBarton

Bump for the day crew…

stevied
    Free Member

Whatever you go for you’ll need to budget for a loom to adapt the new stereo to the existing loom & probably an adapter to fit in the double-din hole.
    This place seems to have lots of offers on DD stereos at the moment. Bought some speakers form them in the past and good to deal with.
    https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category.asp?m=&c=2720&brandfilter=&features=&sort_by_price=ASC&pageItem=12

TheFlyingOx

Most wiring is a piece of piss now, DickBarton, even with the AliExpress specials. I managed to get a modern Bluetooth thingy into a 24 year old caravan the other week with minimal swearing, and that had no wiring loom adapter to make things easy.

Loads of suitable stuff on eBay. I’d probably go with something like the following and get someone you know to help wire it in.

Sony

Edit: they’re cheaper on stevied’s link.

Milkie
    Free Member

Easily dooable under £200, as above you will need a loom adapter and probably another one for the steering wheel controls.

Autoleads are the people who make the looms, you can find out which ones you need here.

You are probably best popping to Halfords and checking out the stereos, its a personal choice. I would probably stick to single DIN and stay away from anything Chinese, loads of features, not much usability.

It is all plug and pray, you can easily do it yourself.

DickBarton

Ta…single din unit just now but that wouldn’t be enough to navigate the hands-free. Current solution punts the radio detail to the central console display so a double din would probably save that and give more space to make things easily read.
    Chinese worries me as my skills are there just not polished so I’d end up messing something up!
    Will take a look at those links though, thanks.

leffeboy

Are you sure it can be replaced? My old peugeot 307 used a proprietary comms system so you needed more than just a loom adapter 🙁 (well it was an adapter but an expensive one)

ulysse
    Free Member

Are you sure it can be replaced? My old peugeot 307 used a proprietary comms system so you needed more than just a loom adapter (well it was an adapter but an expensive one)

Got a double din android Pioneer all singing all dancing doofer, working off the steering wheel controls, in her indoors 307, fitted myself… easy!

Just make sure you properly put the BSI to sleep in any PSA group car before you disconnect the battery and remove the old stereo, and do a full BSI reset on wakeup after fitting the new un, or you’ll get all kinds of weirdness

DickBarton

And with that last response I’m at a loss…so I’ll be doing some more research and checking stuff!

leffeboy

nice work ulysse. When I looked at it a few years ago the loom adapter was going to cost 100EUR so just wasn’t worth it 🙁

CountZero

My experience of the ‘entertainment systems’ in lower order PSA cars has been one of deep disappointment, to put it mildly; poor radio, and the interface for a music player, or at least my iPhone, is woefully inadequate, the bloody things will automatically start playing in alphabetical order, and if you put the device into shuffle mode, it’ll play for a while, then arbitrarily skip tracks part way through, start playing then skip forward, or just jump back to the beginning and start playing from ‘A’ again!
    Drove a C4 Grand today which had full CarPlay and DAB, so at least some PSA cars have decent systems, but even a DS3 had a shitty low-rent unit installed.
    It would put me off buying a Citroen, for sure, I don’t like Peugeot cars.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car stereo upgrades’ is closed to new replies.