Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Car stereo ignition switched on/off wiring question
  • creamegg
    Free Member

Bought a new car stereo for the wife on her birthday and having fitted a couple many years ago I thought I’d give this one a go. It was a bit more faff than expected due to the DAB radio antenna (removing trim etc) but got it all in and it works fine apart from the radio not powered on/off by the ignition- personally I’d prefer this in my car but I can see her leaving it on and having a flat battery. No problem I thought, I just need to swap the wires over (which is what I did years ago) however whichever combination of red and yellow I try the power is always continious- and goes against what the diagram shows. I don’t have a mulitmeter and thought I’d ask STW before getting one.

Car is a Golf VI and OEM stereo worked as we’d like.

Anyone had a similar experience?

mc
    Free Member

Most modern cars rely on the CAN bus to turn the radio on/off, and don’t have an ignition feed to the radio.

For an aftermarket radio, you’ll need to run your own ignition feed, with the easiest option being to typically use a piggy back fuse holder from something ignition controlled in a fuse box.

creamegg
    Free Member

Ah yeah I had started reading something about CANBUS. Cheers

spooky_b329

The radio might have an auto off function (i.e. 60 minutes) assuming it can actually read the canbus/switched live.

parkesie
    Free Member

When ive fitted stereos to cars with canbus once it is wired in it will turn off when you turn the ignition off. You can still power it up and listen with the keys out but only until the canbus goes in to sleep or power saving mode.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Car stereo ignition switched on/off wiring question’ is closed to new replies.