• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car speakers … audio … advice pls
  • Aus
    Free Member

Picked up a nice little Golf Mk 3 Gti – standard stereos but with a Sony headunit. The sound is OK and it's a relatively noisy car, but wondered if upgrading the speakers (to fit in existing mounts) would be worthwhile.

Not looking for top notch sound (or expense), and the boot needs to stay free so no fitting big bad boy speakers in there. If worthwhile, any speaker recos (at a reasonable price) to look at?

Ta

CountZero

Standard speakers in cars are always pretty low-rent jobbies, so it always helps to upgrade wherever possible. JBL, Panasonic, Pioneer, would all be good replacements for the OEM speakers.

stumpy01

I replaced the door speakers in my last car with some standard fit Pioneers & they were tons better. Pretty sure Kenwood & Pioneer had a speaker selector where u put your car make/model in and it would tell u what speakers will fit directly.

TheFlyingOx

As above. Find out what size the OEM speakers are, then head off to Google.

mboy
    Free Member

Standard speakers are SH*TE in a mk3 Golf (I know, I had one until recently)…

Get some decent replacement speakers (you'll need 6.5" speakers for the doors) and you should notice a vast improvement, as long as you've got a decent enough head unit to power them that is…

Just get some decent 2 or 3 way speakers, wouldn't bother with component speakers unless you're planning on going for a decent install. Have a look around, but I picked up some good quality 3 way Ininity Speakers in the sale in Halfords, reduced from about 100 quid to 50… You shouldn't need to spend any more than 50 quid to get something half decent anyway, shop about… See what's recommended…

CountZero

I'd forgotten Infinity speakers. I had Kappas in my Puma, 5" front, 6×9" rear, and they were amazingly good, driven by a Genesis amp from a Sony head with Minidisc multiplayer. Really worth looking for a bargain.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Buy some 6.5" adapters and buy a set of Rainbow or Helix.Spend some money on sound deadening the doors. Will be a massive improvement.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don't muck about. Do it properly…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Spending a bit of time on installation of the upgraded speakers will also give much better results.

A sheet of two of sound damping on the outer door skin will not only improve the speakers but could cut down road noise. The door will 'thunk' shut nicely too.

For 6 quid, one of these sheets behind each speaker is a good idea
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-mat-sample.html

Or a bit more
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-door-kit.html

Also have a look at mounting the speakers on ply baffles, makes them nice and stiff and secure when you turn the sound up.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all … soundproofing and speakers underway

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car speakers … audio … advice pls’ is closed to new replies.