Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car spare wheelset, where and how do you buy?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Bought a car recently but have a “can of foam” as a spare wheel which i just found out really 😐 ,asked some mates who also purchased cars just recent and they said supposed to be a norm nowadays….. Thinking of getting the OEM donut space saver spare wheel but I reckoned getting the proper wheel as spare makes more sense.. As boot space doesn’t really matter to me. Now where do I get this, and what to look out for? ( wheelnuts spacing, no. of holes etc etc) doesn’t need to be the exact model as long as it is proper fit as the rest of the other wheelset already fitted.. Tyre is 205/55/16 if that helps. Many thanks

nealglover
    Free Member

What’s the make and model of the car ?

scaredypants

you need to know the offset of the wheel as well as bolt spacings

after that, somewhere like mytyres would flog you a new one (or set) or else a scrappy if you can find the same car in there

I bought a set of winter tyres from mytyres and getting them with a set of wheels was about an extra 80 quid all in, or something daft

johnhighfield
    Free Member

If you want one the same you could buy a new one from the Spares desk at car dealers or search out on the ‘bay a spare one for your make / model of car – although take care to ensure its not buckled / cracked allow etc…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Car are Ford C-Max 2011 (205/55 r16 tyre) and Yaris Trend 2014 (195/50 r16 tyre)

Will have to check dealers if it’s not daylight robbery kind of price… That mytyres seems promising.. Just offset and bolts spacing to check right

nealglover
    Free Member

Yaris is 4×100 PCD, 39 offset, 54.1 centre bore.

C Max is 5×108 PCD, 52.5 offset, 63.4 centre bore.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Nealglover … You are a Star! Many thanks 😮

breadcrumb

I’d go to the local car breakers.

steveh

look on ebay, some one will be selling a tyre and wheel for a car like those.

Hohum
    Free Member

Try on Gumtree as well.

cp

usual suspects – ebay, gumtree, freecycle, local scrappies, tyre places quite often have spare wheels around – the small indepents rather than the quick fit type places.

timba
    Free Member

I paid extra for a proper spare. It took two years to get a flat, but the 2″ slash in the side wall convinced me that I’d made the right choice
    Two things IME:
    1) don’t forget a jack, wheelbrace, etc (make sure that both fit your car)
    2) shop around, you can beat main dealer prices

andyl
    Free Member

if buying second hand it’s often safer to buy an allow wheel that matches what you have as steelies need careful checking. Unless the seller can confirm it’s off the right car.

milky1980
    Free Member

I specced mine when I bought the car, £50 for a steel wheel, tyre, jack and wheel brace. The tyre’s worth £90 on it’s own!!

Just make sure the wheel well can take a full-size wheel, a mate just bought a Kia C’eed and had a flat, the original wheel won’t fit so the boot floor had to go on the back seat. Not convenient when you have a full car 🙄

squirrelking
    Free Member

if buying second hand it’s often safer to buy an allow wheel that matches what you have as steelies need careful checking. Unless the seller can confirm it’s off the right car.

Why would the fitment of an alloy be different to that of a steelie? Steelies are more likely to have the offset stamped on the wheel whilst alloys are a bit of a mixed bag.

RustyMac

Have a look http://www.tyreleader.co.uk they sell steel wheels, alloy wheels and tyres.

I got a good price for 4x alloys and winter tyres for the other halfs polo.

Leigh
    Free Member

Try your local garage. They got me a new steel wheel to fit my van and it was as cheap as I could get anywhere and not that much more than a scrap yard wanted, and was the correct one for the van

petrieboy

Will your wheel well accommodate a full size spare?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Local scrappies have not proved too fruitful for me of late…. 25 quid and it was the sorriest wheel you ever saw with a manky tire on that i wouldnt even use for a spare.

A new pattern rim was only 25 quid – no scrapy tire to have removed

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car spare wheelset, where and how do you buy?’ is closed to new replies.