Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Car sound deadening, worth the bother?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

My little Mazda 3 suffers a bit from road noise, especially at the rear, so I was thinking of getting some Silent Coat and laying it in the boot floor, under the rear seat and over the rear wheel arches. About £80 worth should cover it all. Has anyone tried doing this sort of thing?

crikey
    Free Member

I’d turn the radio up to be honest.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Fair enough crikey, but the mrs doesn’t like Pantera that much.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thekingisdead
    Free Member

Get a new Mrs then

plop_pants
    Free Member

How much for the old one?

nealglover
    Free Member

I did the floor of my VW Multivan while the carpets were all out. Made a massive difference.

Would have thought the boot floor would make a decent difference.
    Better if you could do it all though.

Flashing tape from wickes does the same job far cheaper though.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks Neal, I’ve heard that bitumen based stuff can get pretty smelly in hot weather. Is that what you used?

molgrips
    Free Member

Supposedly. Although as I understand it, the best place to put it is on the big panels, like doors and roof. Most of the noise is caused by the large thin panels resonating, so you need to damp those down.

I heard of Dynamat being used – thick sticky backed rubber.

somafunk

Try self adhesive silver foil backed flashing, cut it to size and shape it round awkward areas, a large 10m roll will be less than £30 and works just as good if you double layer it. When i stripped my Mk2 Golf back to a bare shell i removed all the bitumen sound deadening and replaced it with this type.

Check ebay for it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Thanks Neal, I’ve heard that bitumen based stuff can get pretty smelly in hot weather. Is that what you used?

That’s what I used yes.
    No problem with any smells over the last three summers since it was done.

As mentioned above, I also did the doors and the side panels under the windows.
    All four wheel arches and cab floor area.

It’s like a limo now. You can barely tell it’s running 😀

passtherizla
    Free Member

Me and the old man did his 110 made a big difference… Was thick black sticky backed stuff.

Really heavy though.

sbob
    Free Member

I had to take my boot carpet out and it was loud as hell.

Didn’t put it back. 😈

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Flashing tape is ok, but you tend to need to use a few layers for the equivalent effect of Dynamat/Silent Coat, etc.
    You could get a couple of the starter packs, that’s what I did (but never ended up using them).

molgrips
    Free Member

There is some stuff online that’s cheaper and beter than dynamat, apparently, if you look hard enough.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Wheel arches make a big difference, well worth doing in my experience

johnellison
    Free Member

My MR2 is Dynamatted throughout, but that’s mainly to stop sound escaping from the mahoosive install… 😈

slimjim78
    Free Member

Its a great project with a noticable result at the end – give it a go!

I used the bitumen stuff, if I did it again I would dig deep and go for Dynamat (or the cheaper alternative stuff if you can find it).

globalti
    Free Member

Just use carpet underlay, it’s cheaper.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s on my list. I found enough to do 2 cars almost, for £70 on a big roll. I love quietness in cars.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why is the car noisy? Dodgy exhaust? Worn bushes? Cheap tyres? Knackered door seals? Not quite the sort of car to be noisy is it?

plop_pants
    Free Member

I think it might be the cheap Toyos on the rear. The car is only 4 years old and everything is tight, no rattles etc. It’s not exactly a major issue or owt, but as its easy to do and relatively cheap I thought I’d give it a go.

What did you get Molgrips?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Have a look at the Car Audio direct web site they have a good range.

Did the doors in my Transporter prior to a new speakers , good stuff.

I used flashband on other areas, Used silver foil tape around the perimeter as the Adhesive can loose the bond when the car has been in hot weather.

rp16v
    Free Member

iv used a layer of flashing tape toped with a layer of brownbread/dynamatt to stop the audio rattles/vibrations

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Car sound deadening, worth the bother?’ is closed to new replies.