Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car shock absorbers – when to change?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Own a Primera estate with 80,000miles. I cant get it to handle right. Feels like it wont return back to centre when turning (ie usually if you let go of the steering wheel you car will straighten up by itself). Been to 3 garages and had the steering / suspension / tracking checked but problem wont go away. None of them think there is anything wrong with the shocks but at 80000miles are they worth changing anyway? The don’t bounce around like the classic test indicates.

molgrips
    Free Member

Definitely a tracking or alignment problem. Could be the rear, which isnt’ always adjustable, and can drift out due to suspension bushings.

There are other things besides the normal ‘tracking’ test (which tests toe-in). Such as camber and castor angles etc which may be adjustable. My car was all over the shop after I changed the front springs. I had to take it to a garage that had a full-on four-wheel alignment system – most garages don’t have it, but I know one in Reading that does 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member
    Earl
    Free Member

Thanks – the prob is there is very little to adjust on the P11 Primera – just toe-in on the front – as you mentioned. Nothing at all on the rear. Dont want to go down the ‘camber tops’ rout as I should not really have to. I know that in sedan form P11’s handle very well.

Can you give us the name of the one in Reading – I visit there every now and again.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’ll be more than just toe-in to adjust I’m sure. The struts are probably held on with big bolts that, if they are not right, will affect the camber.

I don’t recall the name of the place in Reading but it was on the main road through Purley on Thames.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id also look at the steering rack and column. Had a fiesta van which wasnt self centering, turned out to be the steering column bushes had worn, causing it to bind.

jam-bo

Problem:

I cant get it to handle right

Answer:

Own a Primera estate

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Problem:

I cant get it to handle right

Answer:

Own a Primera estate

Never driven a p11 then?

chiefgrooveguru

The later Primeras were noted for fantastic handling which belied their dull reputation. How are the suspension bushes?

Everywhen
    Free Member

As its an estate can it be presumed that its carried a few heavy loads?
    If so then 80k would be about right for some new shockers. The rubber bushes should be replaced at the same time.

Earl
    Free Member

Suspension bushes? are they the same thing as the roll bar bushes? or something on the strut itself?

parisroubaix

Bushes, suspension or roll bar, are rubber bits that cushion the joints in a car’s suspension and steering. Signs of wear include metal on metal banging over bumps, sloppy handling, uneven tyre wear etc. Imagine the bushes/bearings on the rear suspension of you mtb all being shot and the unwanted movement you would get, add 1300 kg + and you get the idea. the garages would have noted worn bushings on the suspension unless they were really crap- like most main dealers!

molgrips
    Free Member

You just reminded me, I need to order bearings for my 5.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I replaced them when i found twin identical pools of fluid beneath my back wheels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car shock absorbers – when to change?’ is closed to new replies.