Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car Servicing: Genuine Vs Aftermarket Parts
  • Jase
    Free Member

Car needs servicing and its now 7 years old I’m starting to think about shopping around when the service is due.

I usually got to the main dealer and they have quoted me £163 for an interim but have said they could do it cheaper if we went for non-genuine parts.

Bearing in mind we are talking about a Oil, Air and Pollen (whatever that is) filter, will having non-genuine really make that mush difference? I do about 4k miles a year and its a petrol.

Asked for a price at a local garage and they quoted £155 which is not much cheaper than the main dealer.

Ta.

wombat

Depends on the car but if given that the price difference is only £8 I’d go to the main dealer.

Having said that, I’d wager that you could DIY for well under £75.

What car is it?

Jase
    Free Member

Yeah prob gonna go to the dealer but wondered if it was worth going for the non-genuine parts option from them which they have said will be cheaper than £163 but not sure how much cheaper!

Its a 2L Mondeo

tthew

I’ve always used non-genuine parts, no problems. Using them doesn’t even invalidate a warrantee these days.

Edit, don’t think you’ll save a lot mind, as most of the cost will be in the labour.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

If you have a bit of mechanical competence the service kit for a 2.0 zetec engine is £61.50 from Europarts. What you save could buy you something shiny for your bike

wombat

Well I think you’ll need about 4.5 to 5l of oil £15, an oil filter £8, a pollen filter £15 and even with 4 spark plugs too £20 (if you want) and £15 for a sump plug spanner and an oil filter spanner all from you LMF (local motor factor) or Halfrauds and you’ll have about £75 change 😉

Jase
    Free Member

A few years back I did it myself but the oil change part was a PITA!

mboy
    Free Member

Difference between Genuine and pattern parts for Ford, Vauxhall et al is usually just the packaging. They’re often made in the same factory!

With BMW and Audi/VW you are often paying for a higher quality product buying genuine, but again it can also be a lottery.

Where are you based? If in or anywhere near Worcester, I guarantee I could get your service done for under £100 using quality parts, and get you a stamp in your book. All genuine and above board too, I just know a couple of mechanics who set up on their own and don’t rip people off…

Jase
    Free Member

mboy – am in Milton Keynes!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

7 year old car and you want to take to a main dealer?

Why?

john_drummer
    Free Member

well if the independants are only £8 cheaper, why not?

Shop around, you should be able to get it done for a lot less

br
    Free Member

For the price difference I’d stay main dealer and genuine parts, especially if you only do 4k pa – its not like you’ll really make much of a saving.

petrieboy

I’ve always used non-genuine parts, no problems. Using them doesn’t even invalidate a warrantee these days.

I think it does (not that it matters in this case) as i understand it, manufacturers cannot insist you use a franchise dealer but can insist you use genuine parts.

spooky_b329

Petri is correct, you can get the car serviced anywhere, as long as you get a stamp in the book and genuine parts are used, your 6 month old car will still be under warranty…it never has to see the main dealer. Non-genuine parts is what voids the warranty.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’m surprised a main dealer offers a service using non genuine parts. As above, if it’s in warranty then genuine parts, once it gets older I’d consider non genuine for simple components but for major things like pulleys, belts and tensioners I’d stick with genuine

totalshell

buy the stuff trade and do it yourself.. oil piece of cake filters yawn wont take 90 mins tops. frankly cars today run and run. service history on your car is going to make zip difference at selling time..

JAG

For the items you’re talking about (oil, air and pollen filters) I wouldn’t worry about genuine parts. However it would depend on the saving you can make.

Generally speaking I believe that Genuine parts make a big difference – I work in the industry and I know how much work we put into developing the genuine bits.

donsimon
    Free Member

Bearing in mind we are talking about a Oil, Air and Pollen (whatever that is) filter, will having non-genuine really make that mush difference?

No, I used to deliver lots of aftermarket parts to main dealers. Just saying like. 😉

Jase
    Free Member

OK, thanks.

Think I’ll first call the dealer and see how much cheaper the service is with non-genuine parts and make a desicion based on this.

jam-bo

I work in the industry and I know how much work we put into developing the genuine bits.

So they can be copied by someone who doesn’t have all those costs to recover…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

😉
    +1 jag

I remember fitting an aftermarket “cheap” oil filter to a car a few years back and noted the oil pressure warning light on the dash took a few seconds longer to go out.Fitting a genuine one at the next service and the light went out straight away,just a thought,but I do think genuine parts are better made.

I tend to go with the philosophy that no one knows more about the engine than the guy that designed and built it, so thats the bloke I trust, if i expect long term reliability and intend keeping the vehicle a long time, its worth it for peace of mind.

I do buy none genuine parts though,but it depends what the item is,I was quoted £230 quid for a bottom arm for a merc vito recently (from a main dealer) with the parts man insisting the bushes were bonded into the arm and not replacable.
    A quick call to the local cheapo parts supplier and I managed to source the bushes at £8 quid each,mahoosive saving and fitted them myself using a bottle jack and a few bits of scrap metal.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car Servicing: Genuine Vs Aftermarket Parts’ is closed to new replies.