Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Car Servicing Costs…..
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Plate-less EGR has, incidentally, been nothing but an utter b*stard since, turbo vanes getting clogged up nicely…

I would guess that’s a symptom of an underlying problem.

Since we are talking about main dealers, Sinclair VW of Cardiff have been great, so far 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

my gear boxes – you undo the fill/level plug and then drain it from the sump plug

Yeah same-ish only my sump drain is just about one bolt hole lower than the fill plug hence the necessity of a syringe if you want to change any meaningful amount of oil.

I would guess that’s a symptom of an underlying problem.

Yup, it’s a design defect in that Honda/Isuzu sepecced it for reasons best known to themselves despite it being suited to 1.9/2.0 engines rather than my 1.7. Well known fault on these cars hence why a new turbo is the same price as a refurb!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Whatnobeer , ifour willing to travel to arbroath i can recomend a great guy with good pricing.I travel from aberdeen to use him when i need work done as aberdeen garages aint interested in cars as old as mine.

Drop me an email

trail_rat
    Free Member

Underlying problem is the egr.

Its widely known that they are a bodge for emissions ….. Not good for your engines longevity.

molgrips
    Free Member

But some people’s egr are ok..

hora
    Free Member

EGRs a bodge? Eh

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah crap, I forgot to add the word ‘turbo’.

Yeah, the EGR is the root cause but it’s exacerbated by the higher spec turbo which grannies along most of the time sucking half combusted diesel.

EGR’s may work but how many folk have trouble with their necessary cousin the DPF. If you didn’t have an EGR you wouldn’t need a DPF (unless you have an older spec car without one like mine) which in turn wouldn’t need trips to the stealers to regenerate the buggers after not being bothered driving an extra 40 miles on your commute to do it yourself.

Quite how anyone thought diluting air with exhaust gas would be a good idea is beyond me, I understand the whole argument for NOx generation but there are easier and cleaner ways to reduce combustion temperatures than that (methanol/water injection for one). As trail_rat said it’s a quick and easy bodge that increases likelihood of dealer intervention if/when it goes wrong rather than just cooling the damn cylinder.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you have cleaned out an egr havnt you molgrips…..

All that lovely black gunk , the thick sticky stuff and the gritty powder.

Thats what your sticking into your bores with the egr……

I understand why we have em , but at sk points out , there are better ways to achieve lower combustion temps to keep nox formation down, but they cost more and require effort.

Egrs on petrol is a different story as they dont produce nearly as much soot to pump back into your engine.

Egr delete on my engine and it now returns 10 more mpg ( deleted in the form of a bolt into the activation vac hose and a plate over the hole in the inlet manifold. , actuator no longer moves and the gunge doesnt get into my bores.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Cheers trail_rat, will drop you a message 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

you have cleaned out an egr havnt you molgrips

Yes, there was nothing in mine, just a grimy film on the parts. Since the ECU fix and consequent egr function restoration I’ve lost maybe 1-2 mpg.

And you would still produce particulates without egr.

The alternative is catalytic NOx reduction which took VW a decade or so to introduce to the US market so I doubt it’s very simple.

chewkw
    Free Member

Anyone in the GeordieLand that knows a trusted reliable garage that I can go to?
    Not too far from the Toon please.

😀

dudeofdoom

I feel a Top Gear top tip coming on….

Buy a Porsche its cheaper to service than a Kia !!!

squirrelking
    Free Member

You would produce particles, yes, but not nearly as much as with one. They cause far more issues than they solve, you would actually be cleaner doing away with them altogether.

molgrips
    Free Member

Except for NOx. Which is not nice stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

double edged sword – that one – FWIW both cause similar effects on your body.

its all very well saying fir EGRs and DPFs …

your producing more particulates – but your capturing them – great.

then you go out onto the motorway and burn them off – distributing them about the motorway – YAY …. unfortunantly the air on the motorway still becomes air you or I breath one day. – Hence BODGE

Marko

@ Chewkw.

Here:

Western Way Garage

Hth

Marko

hora
    Free Member

bensales I was only trolling. A very old and tired joke 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

then you go out onto the motorway and burn them off – distributing them about the motorway

Well no, they don’t just get emptied out, the soot gets burned ie converted into CO2.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Which is another pollutant.

The only way you can get round this whole expensive mess is by just cooling your combustion in the first place with water injection. Ships do it for this exact reason (along with common rail and all the other toys that are old news out there) in order to comply with MARPOL regs. Cooler combustion, lower NOX emissions, low sulphur fuel so no corrosion, bish bash bosh, job done.

Want better results, speak to Koenigsegg and get their camshaftless engine for on the fly timing correction.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Car Servicing Costs…..’ is closed to new replies.