• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car service history
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

My latest car was sold to me with a full Ford main dealer service history. The last service was at 38,000 and I bought it at 41,000.

Ford say that the gearbox fluid and filter should be changed at 37k miles and I’ve just confirmed with the main dealer that this wasn’t done. Ford actually list it in their service schedule as “Renew fluid and filter – a separate order is required (LTS 17 115 5) ” in other words its charged as extra on top of the standard service which is why I imagine it wasn’t done.

So, is it worth me perusing this with the dealer I bought the car from? Its a £280 job by the way so not an insignificant amount (to me at least).

dooosuk
    Free Member

If you didn’t buy it from a Ford dealer, then no I wouldn’t persue it.

You had chance to do due diligence and inspect the service history at the time of purchase.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I did indeed and the book is fully stamped.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dooosuk
    Free Member

But does the book include the gearbox fluid checkbox/icon however they’re depicting service items these days?

I bet it doesn’t feature in the book as it’s outside of the general service order.

If the dealer wasn’t a Ford main dealer, he was probably non the wiser like you.

the-muffin-man

Is this extra to a normal service? If so it won’t get a stamp in the book (or has it been ticked as done in the history?).

The previous owner probably decided that as he was selling it he wouldn’t bother spending the extra £280.00

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Out of interest, which ford? I’ve never done mine, I’ve a vague recollection it’s on the list of lifetime parts along with the fuel filter but I’m worried now!

And have you asked an independent garage to quote? £280 sounds like a lot to drain the oil and refill it.

M6TTF
    Free Member

£280 quid sounds extortionate. A DSG box service on a VAG car is only about £170, and thats with their overpriced liquid gold oil

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its an extra but required if that makes sense! I assumed it would have been done but I’ve just found the official Ford service schedule on the net which says its a chargeable extra (but required at 37k) so i asked Ford and they confirmed it hadn’t been done which makes me question the value of a “full main dealer service history”!!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

There is more to it than just changing the oil, its take the sump off, change the filter, new gasket then refilling to three different levels then re calibration on the diagnostic system etc.

Its a six speed powershift gearbox on a 2.0 TDCI engine.

£280 ties in with other prices I’ve seen on the internet.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Service intervals are recommendations and they are not the responsibiltiy of the manufacturer – they are the responsibility of the owner. Based upon my experineces with car dealerships and Ford in particular, I find it hard to believe that they forgot about it, and i’m sure they would have given the previous owner the hard sell to have the work carried out as per their recommended service intervals. Therefore the PO obvioulsy decided not to have the work done for some reason – maybe they knew they were going to sell the car soon so scrimped on the service cost and pass the risk onto the next owner. So Ford will politely decline your offer for them to do this work for free i’m afraid and will accept no responsibility for it not having been done.

If it is the case that the PO asked for the work to be done and paid for it and Ford ‘forgot’ to carry out the work (not unheard of with big dealerships) then that is a different story and if you can prove that then you might get somewhere.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Is this extra to a normal service? If so it won’t get a stamp in the book (or has it been ticked as done in the history?).

The previous owner probably decided that as he was selling it he wouldn’t bother spending the extra £280.00

+1. Pretty much the same as body work inspections, brake fluid, coolant and air conditioning. Many people who only the car whilst it is under warranty skimp on these including fleet managers knowing it will be someone else’s problem once they’ve sold it on.

which makes me question the value of a “full main dealer service history”!!

The dealer can’t insist on the extra’s being done at service, that is down to the owner. Knowing the vehicle you want and what service items needed doing at specific time and/or mileage then you can ask if the work has been done and then negotiate on missing service items.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There is value in full dealer service history.

You don’t have full dealer service history though.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The plot thickens – the service book is correctly stamped at 37,500 miles which is the right service interval and at the 37,500 mile service Ford say the fluid should be changed (not an optional item – its required).
    It turns out that Ford actually performed a 50,000 mile service which doesn’t require a fluid change.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Correct Mr Trail Rat – there is no way of telling that from the service book though.

falkirk-mark

Well I would argue that it has not got a FULL ford main dealer service as the 37,500 service was skipped (and the 50,000 service done instead) People are right that it is not down to dealer what level service was performed however dealer sold to you saying it had full ford service which to my mind it doesn’t.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My mind’s still boggling at a car that needs a 37000 mile gearbox oil change costing 250quid……

An yet people bemoan changing the timing belt on cars.

matt_outandabout

£280 every 35k, on top of regular service, on top of belts, of which of course you should do water pumps, etc…

Is it, or do car companies now make more on service than purchase?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Cam belt on the diesel Focus is ten years or 125,000 miles! I’m comfortable with the need to change the gearbox fluid (and the cost), its a DSG box and lovely to drive. Just slightly miffed that if I’d not investigated then I’d be doubling the change interval which is not a good thing as the gearbox is stupidly expensive to repair.

I’ll be speaking to Ford about it next week.

hora
    Free Member

Get it done at an indie.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car service history’ is closed to new replies.