Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car selling/buying question
  • stany
    Free Member

Our first wee one is on his/her way and we’re obviously having to make some adjustments to prepare for landing.
    One of these will be what car and how to afford it?
    She drives a Peugeot 207, 08 plate. I drive a Mondeo, 05 plate. I simply don’t need a car, think I’ve done 20 miles in the last 3 weeks. She needs hers for work.
    In an ideal world, we’d squash the 2 together and take what comes out but the world is rarely ideal.
    We’re thinking Kia Sportage/Honda CRV size. It’s the boot space that seems to be required but she hates driving my grey whale (as she calls it)
    So what’s the best way to get a new car? Is it sell ours privately and merge the cash? Take them both to a dealer and trade in for the family bus? Other?
    Any ideas gratefully received.

johndoh
    Free Member

Either of your existing cars will be fine.

We managed 2 years with a Mazda 3 with our twins.

garage-dweller

Ditch the pug. Keep the mondeo. You will be glad of the boot space for all the kids crap. Trouser the cash from the pug for unexpected financial pain of first born and keeping the remaining czar in good order.

That era mondeo is a doddle to drive and once you grasp how to get a big old tank into a small parking space nothing to really grumble about imo. I am biased though we have two of them.

Oh and good luck and enjoy the new arrival.

jam-bo

Use the mondeo.

garage-dweller

Oh and if she doesn’t like the mondeo getting a big wobbly soft roader is a pants idea and it will be far more expensive to run and unlikely any easier to drive.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A 207 is absolutely fine for a single child, check boot fit for your pram before you buy that instead of changing car to fit a pram in.

Babies are around 27 inches long so don’t take up much room in the boot, not like a bike or golf clubs.

Good luck!

Also as this is STW get a Skoda estate or a roomster!

stany
    Free Member

Thanks for the input.
    GD – I’m with you on this. I’d be happy to keep the Mondeo. Nicely rounded corners and a tight turning circle make it easy to park.
    Just gotta convince her of that 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sportage and crv have tiny boots would be foolih to chop either car for one of em.

ross980
    Free Member

Keep the Mondeo.

If you keep the Pug don’t buy a big buggy, it’ll leave you with no boot space whatsoever

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its that lets panic were having a baby and need everything new!

Keep the Mondeo, loads of space, reliable. Because its getting old you don’t have to care about scratching it lifting prams in and out, getting baby puke and poo out of the seats etc etc.

I never found it big or difficult to park either.

As long as it takes isofix your sorted. My 54 plate Mondeo didn’t have it.

Just to add some balance though, Mrs FD hated the Mondeo too, now its gone though she does secretly miss it… I think

stany
    Free Member

I should add that there’s a dog in the equation too, so that’s a chunk of boot space taken up.
    Also the reason why I don’t drive so much, I walk her everywhere.

benji
    Free Member

Don’t keep dirty nappies in the glove box, it isn’t a nice find when you take the car for service and we are playing hunt the locking wheel nut key.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Kids trash cars so better leaving it a few years till you’re past the nappy and puking stage. But then you’ll be into the feet on the back of the front seats, grubby hands all over the interior, spilt food and sweets all over the upholstery. You can’t be precious about your car with young kids.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sound like you want a mondeo estate

You defiantly do not want a crv.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car selling/buying question’ is closed to new replies.