Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)
  • Car Seized by Police for use of red diesel ….. ### idiot content ####
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I hope the vehicle is confiscated and crushed- he’s probably saved at least his £500 in fuel duty.

mmm best not ride that high horse over the speed limit beefheart, you might have to go on a speed awareness course

konabunny
    Free Member

lol pwned

footflaps

The irony being that they’ll chase an individual for a few £100 avoided in tax yet Google, Amazon, Apple etc can legally avoid paying billions in tax, but there’s no intention to close any loop holes which allow this.

Not that I condone any tax avoidance in any way.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

It is likely that your Son will have to pay a civil penalty (fine) and maybe a restoration fee. A storage fee (for the pound where the car is stored) may also be payable.

The Police have power to stop and seize vehicles running on Red diesel but ultimatly this is a HMRC (formerly Customs & Excise) offence as normal petrol forecourt fuel obviously has duty on it; Red does not so it is technically fruadulent evaison of excise duty. The police may well have referred the case to the local Road Fuel Testing Unit (HMRC) and they will deal with it on a civil case. HMRC have the power to seize vehicles running on red. If the civil penalty is not paid then ultimately the car could be crushed and your Son persued for costs. I’d personally try to get it dealt with ASAP; the longer it is in the pound, the more it will cost.

euain

I think one is evasion so against the law and the other is avoidance which is not. Hence the difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The red staining thing is a bit of an urban myth, a few weeks running around with ‘white’ diesel in your tank and you’ll have washed any traces of red away.”

having changed more than one fuel filter that has been run on red and subsequently with white – that is not true.

hora
    Free Member

The irony being that they’ll chase an individual for a few £100 avoided in tax yet Google, Amazon, Apple etc can legally avoid paying billions in tax, but there’s no intention to close any loop holes which allow this.

Not that I condone any tax avoidance in any way.

Lets also not forget anyone who is self-employed and has the capacity to be paid in cash as well; indie shops, taxi drivers, plumbers etc etc etc. Everytime I’ve been told ‘plus VAT’ and asked for ‘cash preferred’ it rankles me.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The irony of running red in a £5k car has made me chuckle. 😉

Sorry to read that OP – I hope he gets a slap to teach him a lesson, but one that’s bearable and doesn’t see you in the poop or out of pocket.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Now there’s that complicated argument again…

footflaps

I think one is evasion so against the law and the other is avoidance which is not. Hence the difference.

I think the real difference is that one is committed by relatively poor people and the other by multi-billionaires who are our politician’s best friends…..

freeagent
    Free Member

“The red staining thing is a bit of an urban myth, a few weeks running around with ‘white’ diesel in your tank and you’ll have washed any traces of red away.”

having changed more than one fuel filter that has been run on red and subsequently with white – that is not true.

I had assumed that anybody trying to rid a vehicle of any traces of Red diesel would have done at least 1 filter swap anyway..

sv

The red is a solvent dye there for marking purposes. A solvent yellow dye is added to home heating oil – it turns red in the presence of strong acids, another roadside test HMRC will carry out.

iolo
    Free Member

He’s 22 so is old enough to know right from wrong.
    It’s a harsh reality that if he loses the car it will be his own fault. We all pay duty. Why the hell shouldn’t he.
    He will then probably lose his job as he has no way of getting to work.
    This will mean he becomes a leech to the benefits system which he will never come off.
    He’ll get into hard drugs just to numb the passing of each day.
    And you will never see the money he owes you just because of some red diesel.
    I hope you have reported the money grabbing farmer to customs too.

D0NK

A £5000 car at 22!

I know a few lads who had rather nice motors in their early twenties, not via minted parents either, they are just happy to take on large bank loans (while they are still living with parents)

Can’t see me ever getting a loan for a car (or bike for that matter).

ransos
    Free Member

I think the real difference is that one is committed by relatively poor people and the other by multi-billionaires who are our politician’s best friends…..

Precisely. What is classed as avoidance or evasion is a political construction, not cast in tablets of stone on Mount Sinai.

D0NK

amen ransos

wwaswas

I hope you have reported the money grabbing farmer to customs too.

this although at £10/barrel it may well have been stolen?

iolo
    Free Member

All this talk about billionaires still doesn’t help the OP, seeing a five grand car crushed and losing two and a half grand cash.
    Poor Bugger.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Im not surprised if anybody uses red diesel these days what with the 80+ pence per ltr in “duty” (hate that word) what do we really expect? Its Extortion plain and simple.
    We have become a nation of people who are being bullied and having our lunch money taken from us daily and are compliant in its action! I wouldn’t mind as much of the country was in a better state from all this Theft from its inhabitants (but its most certainly Not!)
    And confiscation pf yer lads car is just their nice way of saying we are stealing this car because yer not doing as yer told (by paying Us ours)

*stands back and awaits the judges jury and Executioners*

iolo
    Free Member

Look at the rest of Europe. It’s the same or maybe a few cents less most in the other counties.
    It’s not just the UK.

wwaswas

Lawmanmx – duty on vehicle fuel is optional though?

If you don’t want to pay it don’t drive your car?

zilog6128

We have become a nation of people who are being bullied and having our lunch money taken from us daily and are compliant in its action!

100% agree although I largely avoid the duty by riding my bike to work rather than using red diesel 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Its Extortion plain and simple.

No it’s tax. If you can’t tell the difference you’re an idiot.

*stands back and awaits the judges jury and Executioners*

Allow me..

Pigface
    Free Member

We all pay duty. Why the hell shouldn’t he

from the man who is a health care tourist 😉

iolo
    Free Member

😀 It’s lovely in Vienna today. Just going for a walk in the woods

I pay duty for the fuel in my Audi A1 when in the uk

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Some people on here cant see the woods for the trees, Tax is something they take from you wether you like it or not! Thats Theft by any other name.
    And i dont pay any of their fraudulent auto thefts any more as i sold the car and use my bike too 🙂
    Its all a con.
    There are Inherent rights and wrongs in this life and “tax” (theft) is one of them! We have been wronged for so long now we cant see the difference between them.

iolo
    Free Member

I totally agree. Lets all stop paying tax on everything.
    That’ll teach em.

wwaswas

I’ve never seen anyone who’s ‘anti-tax’ suggest another, reasonable way to fund any public service even as basic as road infrastructure and street lighting that doesn’t involve some sort of collective input into a pot of money which is then used for the public good.

So, Lawmanmx – these roads that you now cycle down – how should they be funded?

zokes
    Free Member

Some people on here cant see the woods for the trees,

You, for one.

How do you think the country runs? Fairy dust?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

From what i can see the infrastructure has been there a very long time And paid for many times over, just do a little reserch on how much of you car tax is spent on the roads (infrastructure) and ask yourself where the rest is going?
    Im not for zero taxation at all, i just thing this country and its owners take the piss out of its inhabitants, Blatantly too.
    80+ pence per ltr … Really??? C’mon Really?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

“You, for one.
    How do you think the country runs? Fairy dust?”

Obviously yes.
    I would like for people to start thinking for themselves instead of what the “Daily mail” tells them to think.

footflaps

All this talk about billionaires still doesn’t help the OP, seeing a five grand car crushed and losing two and a half grand cash.
    Poor Bugger.

You mean stupid bugger. If you can’t do the time etc…..

lemonysam
    Free Member

how much of you car tax is spent on the roads (infrastructure) and ask yourself where the rest is going?

Into general taxation perhaps?

iolo
    Free Member

I meant the op (father)

bails

From what i can see the infrastructure has been there a very long time And paid for many times over, just do a little reserch on how much of you car tax is spent on the roads (infrastructure) and ask yourself where the rest is going?

You don’t pay tax…

konabunny
    Free Member

“From what i can see the infrastructure has been there a very long time “

You think, perhaps, the Romans did a good enough job of building the A1 it doesn’t need maintenance?

wwaswas

Im not for zero taxation at all

so how much taxation are you for?

iolo
    Free Member

Lets face it, we have to pay tax.
    Who else will pay for the paysrises I see the MPs are getting.
    They do such an amazing job and deserve every penny.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s mostly funded from council tax. Seeing as I cycle rather than drive most of the time, could you send me a refund please? I take cheques or Paypal.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would like for people to start thinking for themselves instead of what the “Daily mail” tells them to think.

IRONY ALERT!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Car Seized by Police for use of red diesel ….. ### idiot content ####’ is closed to new replies.