Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Car-scrap companies – has anyone used one?
  • cinnamon_girl

Some will apparently take your car away for free. Is this true?

In keeping with tradition, there's bound to be at least one STW'er who can answer!

Thank you so much 🙂

Apologies of course for plunging new depths of boring-ness 😳

andrewh
    Free Member

They do if you're close enough.

A few will pay for it if you can deliver.

I had to scrap two in a week, anyone beat that? (cambelt snapped, followed by MOT failure on the replacement vehicle)

colnagokid

have a look about- local paper etc. should be able to get it collected and get a few quid

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, that really was bad luck. Just wasn't sure whether it was all a con. Some seem to be licensed so I guess that is reassuring.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not you as well! Mate coming to get mine on Saturday hopefully. He can have it, I hate cars. Especially the BMW mini that almost killed me this evening.

Oooh, I've discovered an incredible swear word that isn't filtered.

*saves for TJ*

peteimpreza

I had to scrap two in a week, anyone beat that? (cambelt snapped, followed by MOT failure on the replacement vehicle)

Yep

Two in one collection.

cinnamon_girl

I thought you got yours working again Rich? Yep, have been without it for a week and not worth repairing so looking for a replacement.

What happened this evening then and hope you're OK?

coffeeking
    Free Member

My local scrappie pays and collects even for relatively old cars. They took my other halfs car away free ('89 AX) and paid £30 for my 1990 peugeot 205.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Car is misfiring, so started ok but then broke down blocking all access to and from my close 🙂 Two lads were kind enough to help push it back to my parking space, where it lies now. I can still use it to power the Dirtworker 😀

This evening I just wasn't really concentrating and didn't adopt primary for a mini roundabout. Some **** in a mini pushed me into the kerb then went straight on. I spat at him 😯 He's lucky he didn't go my way though, as my blood sugar is all over the shop and I'd just had a mental day at work.

andrewh
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Premier Member
    Two in one collection.

Had you been saving the first one up waiting? Stockpiling is cheating 😆

cinnamon_girl

You better chill then Rich, grab a beer!

Bad luck to Pete too.

Anyone know how to siphon off fuel please? Have virtually a full tank in it 😯

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I am getting between £100 (Guarenteed) and £300 for the scrappers i get on the scrappage scheme (Aside from any govenment money). They collect them as well.

On a funny note i scrapped a Limo the other day. L Reg Vauxhall Senetor 8 seater which had been used for funerals. 56k on the clock and a 3.0 24v Straight six under the bonnet. It was absolutely mint. On the long drive back my collegue overtook me doing 100mph. I tried to keep up but it was a little lethargic. Then i pressed the S button on the auto box. It dropped a gear at 100mph and shot off to a seriously quick speed. A total shame for it to be crushed 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

where you based hobo need to scrap a car

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Carlisle

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Fookin ekk Hobo why the hell kill such a rare and weird piece of great motoring engineering

DaveT
    Free Member

you should be able to get it collected and get a £100+ via a local scrapyard i found, dont give it away for free!

gusamc
    Free Member

yes, by shopping around I've gone from 'we'll take it away for 0' to £125 (Reading area). Pick a local bloke [no travel cost] – or get a mate to tow you there.

ps – what car is it, check on eaby, as certain non runners are going for as much as £400 – if it's a 'desirable' then you might be surprised.

philjunior
    Free Member

mundiesmiester – the exact reason I severely dislike the scrappage scheme… In fact I even have a soft spot for the crappier of the old cars! 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

if the engine or chassis is of interest to kit car builders you might get a bit for it on ebay.

I got £70 for my ooooold fiesta which had similar problems to richpenny's car -just about made it to the scrappy a mile away from me. Also had £15 of petrol in it. 🙁

I rmember when scrap metal was cheaper about 10 years ago, having to pay someone £20 to take my dead metro away.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

hobo – do you still have that limo? I'd be interested in that…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mine's just gone, to a mate who needs it more than I do. Good riddance I say. Really looking forward to no car related bills 🙂

Marko

A few points to consider:
    1. Make sure the scrap yard is licenced. Last thing you need is some tatter removing the good bits and dumping the rest.
    2. You must keep the large half of the V5. You give them the small part. DO NOT give them the complete V5 under any circumstances.
    3. If it's got less then £15 worth of fuel in it don't bother siphoning it off. Easy way is to jack up the rear and cut the fuel lines. If it's petrol don't do this on the street!!
    Hth
    Marko

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Zedsdead, the car is now scrapped. Total shame but what can you do. I couldnt get £1150 for it which is what we cleared in the end with the government money and the scrap money

Zedsdead
    Free Member

shame – it would have made a brilliant team transporter. my 3 kids race BMX.

If anything similar comes your way then let me know…

Cheers

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Car-scrap companies – has anyone used one?’ is closed to new replies.