Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car roof fork mounted bike carriers for 20mm rockshox axle
  • canefrog
    Free Member

Has anyone had any success using one with a rockshox (domain 318) 20mm axle? I tried a green valley one, which includes 20mm adapters and should have worked, but I ran into this problem:

I’m now thinking about the pendle ones with 20mm adapter. Has anyone tried this with a rockshox 20mm axle?

THanks!

canefrog
    Free Member

Do all 20mm rockshox have the bit in the green circle? I’m not sure of its purpose.

stevied
    Free Member

A bit of dremelling* ?

* other bodging tools available

Milkie
    Free Member

My Thule carriers had the same problem. I just filed it down a little and now they fit perfikly. 😉

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

These work as an adapter, I’ve got the 20mm and the Maverick one too (though thats spare as I’ve not got the forks anymore).

Hurricane Components 20mm Adapter

canefrog
    Free Member

I just filed it down a little and now they fit perfikly

The fork or the carrier adaptor?

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sektor (hooded?) fork and I use a thule 561 outride. Previously I had some Mazz’s with no ‘hoods/cowelled above dropouts and it was almost lethal to my car roof/avoiding dropping the forks onto the roof.

I think you should try another STW’ers – or go into a rack dealer locally first though. If you are Manchester based you can try mine.

Milkie
    Free Member

File down the carrier adaptor, my Thule was aluminium and took about 2 mins to do!

mint5auce
    Free Member

I also use the Fork up adaptors (Maxel 360 on Pike and Maxle lite on a Rev).
    However they can work lose over bumpy roads and also negates the locking feature of the bike carrier (for what a plastic lock is worth)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I use the fork up adapters on the internal rack on my SMax. I’m less satisfied with them and wouldn’t use them on a roof rack as they do rotate round. If you really crank up the torque on the maxle you can get it to lock, but over a long journey I wouldn’t trust it not to work loose and I don’t like over tightening the maxle anyway.

One question though, why not something like the Thule 591 on the roof rack? They’re brilliant and can’t think why I’d use a fork mounted setup.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car roof fork mounted bike carriers for 20mm rockshox axle’ is closed to new replies.