• This topic has 105 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Car repeatedly rammed by lorry on M1
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I know how much STW loves a driving thread so get your teeth into this one –

Dashcam captures lorry hitting car on M1

jimjam
    Free Member

Ack he was probably in his blind spot.

Kryton57

Lorry driver acts dangerously, gets fired.

What is there to froth about?

burgatedicky

I guess it’s a good advert for the dashcam company he owns.

Mr Stockdale, who runs a dashcam company

martinhutch

Aren’t we doing this one already on the ‘middle lane hoggers/surfmax awesomeness’ thread?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

more details here including Mr Stockdale who runs a dashcam company

Hmmmm….

EDIT – well done Dicky, beat me to it

trail_rat
    Free Member

is the unedited video anywhere ?

suspicious cat is suspicious.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Hope the truck driver had the suitable qualifications to help mitigate responsibility. 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

he was only “making progress” surely. 🙄

craigxxl
    Free Member

A bit more has gone on there than shown in that clip. The car is travelling slower than the truck in the first lane when you see the rear camera as it closes the gap. The fact the truck in the second lane has gone into the third lane to overtake the car must have been very frustrated by then. it would have been interesting to see the speed on the camera which for some reason isn’t shown.
    Doesn’t excuse the truck driver for threatening the car driver with his trailer.

v8ninety

Taken to hospital by ambulance for shoulder and neck pain

Owns a dashcam company

stays in middle lane for some time (at sub 56 mph, evidently)

honestly feared for my life

lorry rammed him again 14minutes later

Something here really stinks. What a complete bellend. Wouldn’t be surprised if the lorry driver and the ‘dashcam entrepreneur’ drink in the same pub or something…

mrchrispy

lorry driver looses his sh1t with middle lane muppet and endup getting sacked. would have been much simpler to just pass him on the left.

(then violently swerve out and kill him with the trailer)

GrahamS

I suppose it is quite possible that the car driver has contrived to set up a situation like that to get some good footage for his dashcam company.

BUT… regardless of how irritating his driving might have been, ramming him with a trailer is bang out of order. Someone could have been killed.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I can’t understand why he needed to be taken to hospital by ambulance due to his ‘neck and back pain’ when he was capable of driving for god knows how many miles to follow the truck.
    No doubt there’s gonna be a nice little whiplash claim going in sometime soon.

martinhutch

I think we need to see the complete footage…and no doubt, having slagged off Northants Police, they may be interested to see if there is any other evidence of offences on the unseen bit…

slimjim78
    Free Member

There is absolutely NO excuse for that threatening driving behaviour, I don’t care how ‘frustrated’ the driver of lorry was. No One deserves to be twatted by an immovable object, even 56mph middle lane hoggers.
    The lorry driver needs the full extent of the law thrown at him. Personally, I would ban him for life. It’s a fine line between aggressive driving and attempted murder when sitting behind wheel of 10 tons.

I had a lorry driver try to pull a similar move on me whilst I was driving on inside lane once, my 18 month old son with me in his child seat. I had to pull into hard shoulder several times as he repeatedly tried to side swipe me. The highways agency were unable to locate footage, so in this case another unbalanced professional driver got away scot free.

somouk
    Free Member

Does seem a little dodgy and I’d agree that the fact he is rolling along in the middle lane going no faster than the lorry in the inside lane makes me think he’s been winding the driver of the lorry up.

Wonder which dashcam company he owns.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

BUT… regardless of how irritating his driving might have been, ramming him with a trailer is bang out of order. Someone could have been killed.

Absolutely, no argument there. However it seems that dashcam business owners seem to have the same ability to get themselves into ‘situations’ that make for good footage in the same way that helmet-cam warriors do…

jimjam
    Free Member

ryton57 – Member

Just assault with a deadly weapon. No big deal.

v8ninety

I had to pull into hard shoulder several times as he repeatedly tried to side swipe me.

Serious question; why didn’t you just stop (or slow right down) and put distance between you and the lorry after the first time? Can’t imagine a circumstance where a lorry would get two chances to do that to me. But I appreciate that I wasn’t there, and I’m interested. It’s like this footage; how ON EARTH is it that the lorry overtakes the bloke TWICE? Unless he’s a) goading him in his own little ‘Mad Max/Duel’ type fantasy, or b) working with the bloke to get some totally ace dashcam footage to promote his company.

Kryton57

jimjam – Member
    ryton57 – Member

Just assault with a deadly weapon. No big deal.

You don’t get it.

This is a bunch of people discussing and emotionally afflicting themselves something that has already happened that they can’t influence.

Hence, the discussion and inter-arguments are fruitless, and their energies would be better spent elsewhere.

GrahamS

This is a bunch of people discussing and emotionally afflicting themselves something that has already happened that they can’t influence.
    Hence, the discussion and inter-arguments are fruitless, and their energies would be better spent elsewhere.

Good point – I don’t know why anyone bothers to read any news at all. It’s all in the past. Nothing we can influence.

🙄

vinnyeh

Big discussion about this on local radio this morning- apparently the car driver called police 6 times after the incident saying he was going to follow the truck until police sent a car (which they were unable to do as motorway trained officers were already involved in a pursuit). He was asked to stop following the truck/leave the motorway at the next services but refused to do so. Call centre should have contacted the next force down the road investigate, but failed to do so- seems to have been their own error.

Obviously truck driver a dick, but seems likely that there was provocation by Mr Stockdale.
    Parallels between some of the more aggressive head cam carrying cyclists and van/car drivers?

mrsfry
    Free Member

So the police take notice of dashcam cameras but when it comes to cyclist cameras it’s like pulling teeth to get them to do anything 🙄

Rorschach
    Free Member

Lorry driver acts dangerously,gets no pudding.
    And if anyone knows about emotionally afflicting themselves to pointless arguments it’s Kryton,so only he can get it.

Kryton57

Good point – I don’t know why anyone bothers to read any news at all. It’s all in the past. Nothing we can influence.

That’s a glib statement and is not always true as you know Graham. I’ll live with the implied insult Rorschach, but if people started using their brains you’d see that I’m right.

jb72
    Free Member

What’s he doing in lane 2? … you can see from the front view that lane 1 is completely clear. Lorry driver is still wrong to do what he did.

agent007
    Free Member

Serious question; why didn’t you just stop (or slow right down) and put distance between you and the lorry after the first time? Can’t imagine a circumstance where a lorry would get two chances to do that to me. But I appreciate that I wasn’t there, and I’m interested. It’s like this footage; how ON EARTH is it that the lorry overtakes the bloke TWICE? Unless he’s a) goading him in his own little ‘Mad Max/Duel’ type fantasy, or b) working with the bloke to get some totally ace dashcam footage to promote his company.

Even simpler, why didn’t the car driver just speed the **** up?

A slight increase in speed 57mph should have put him infront of the lorry (limited to 56mph) and out of harms way. Plus he wouldn’t be holding other traffic up in the process?

Absolutely no excuse why a modern car (classic campers, land rovers etc forgiven) should be getting overtaken by a truck on the motorway.

GrahamS

That’s a glib statement

It was.

But so was suggesting that we shouldn’t waste any energy discussing something because it has already happened and we can’t influence it.

scaredypants

Dashcam manufacurer, former special constable, conflict-seeking knob winds up dangerous arsehole in lorry

You know, if somebody had to die on the roads that day, I’d have voted for those two. I’d prefer lifetime bans for both though.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Even simpler, why didn’t the car driver just speed the **** up?

57mph should have put him infront of the lorry (limited to 56mph) and out of harms way. Plus he wouldn’t be holding traffic up in the process?

Which as all keen amateur detectives know takes us back to what his motives were…

Kryton57

But so was suggesting that we shouldn’t waste any energy discussing something because it has already happened and we can’t influence it.

I’m stating its not productive. Which it isn’t. But carry on…

jimjam
    Free Member

scaredypants

Dashcam manufacurer, former special constable, conflict-seeking knob winds up dangerous arsehole in lorry

You know, if somebody had to die on the roads that day, I’d have voted for those two. I’d prefer lifetime bans for both though.

Nothing irritates me more than middle/outside lane hoggers (that’s not true lot’s of things do) but just because the car driver was being a dick doesn’t give the lorry driver the excuse to attack him.

I mean, just for the sake of hyperbole if Warrick Davis had a few too many pints and was winding you up in the pub would that give you licence to kick his **** in?

Rorschach
    Free Member

No insults Kryt’s you are one of the better mob on here.But you don’t half get yourself wound up sometimes.And run the danger of appearing to be a somewhat sanctimonious arse.Which you’re patently not.Overly sensitive and needy…maybe 😉

stumpy01

😆

That’s hilarious – in a WTF is going on, type way.

If you can’t out manoeuvre an HGV, then you probably shouldn’t be on the road.
    He could have slowed down, speeded up, swerved etc….
    The bit at the start of the video where the HGV is repeatedly weaving into the side of the car – he doesn’t even seem to react by swerving out of the way – no sound though so not sure if anything relevant is said.

If he was supposedly ‘following the HGV’ until the feds arrived, couldn’t he have just slowed to a safe distance and maintained a gap – 100m should be enough to ensure not getting whacked again.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m stating its not productive.

Logging on to here is the very definition of “not productive” 🙂

FWIW, I agree with slimjim78. Whatever the provocation, he should be prosecuted.

Kryton57

Overly sensitive and needy

I’d agree with that. 😐

I won’t apologise for my stance, its all down the mindfulness studies and reading that “Essentialism…” book, so I’m reading some of this (and therefore contradicting myself) noting what a waste of time it is.

But you don’t half get yourself wound up

I’m not wound up at all. 😛

GrahamS

I won’t apologise for my stance, its all down the mindfulness studies and reading that “Essentialism…” book, so I’m reading some of this (and therefore contradicting myself) noting what a waste of time it is.

This entire forum is a waste of time. I don’t need a book to tell me that.

Passes the hours though. 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

What’s the book Kryton?

agent007
    Free Member

just because the car driver was being a dick doesn’t give the lorry driver the excuse to attack him.

What is unseen in the video is the actions of the driver which has clearly riled the lorry driver. Did he slam on the brakes previously in-front of the lorry, had he been deliberately winding the lorry driver up by holding him up on purpose? The guy appears to be a complete sanctimonious bell*nd of the highest order so I can’t blame the trucker for getting frustrated.

No the trucker shouldn’t have done what he did, but the guy in the car looks equally at fault from what I can see. Everyone has a point when they will ‘snap’ – deliberately winding up an angry trucker, at the end of the day what did this plonker expect? It’s like goading a brown bear with a pointy stick, can’t complain if you get bitten eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Car repeatedly rammed by lorry on M1’ is closed to new replies.