• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MS.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Car Repair – Slow Slow Slow
  • MS
    Free Member

So I had a bash over 2 months ago (My fault – insurance payout to get fixed). It took 4 1/2 weeks to get the car back which was longer than I thought it would take but I had a little courtesy car so although I wanted my car back it wasn’t the end of the world.

Got the car back and wasn’t used (all be it driving home). Then 3 days later the power steering pipe was leaking and the power steering went. Phoned the garage that repaired the accident damage asthe pipe/power steering unit is at the same side I had the original bash. They have identified its just the hose but are struggling to get it from Ford (Car is an 07 Focus ST). They have had the car over 4 weeks and still don’t know when they are getting the part.

I managed to get a better courtesy car from them last week (1.2 corsa to a C-Max) as I drive around 60 miles a day and the corsa was useless.

Should I start getting annoyed at the garage?(mainstream garage with the first name Arnold). Or should I just be thankful I have a courtesy car? Have been very cooperative so far but ( me and them) but I thought they should be able to get the part quicker??

legend
    Free Member

Did the insurer organise the garage/repair? If so, I’d get onto them first

robdob
    Free Member

Try ringing a Ford dealers and asking how long it would take them to get the part for you, you’ll know if the repairers are telling you porkies then.

Edukator
    Free Member

So I had a bash … 07 Focus ST

If I were the garage I’d have given you a Sierra Diesel (the slowest car I can think of). 😉

Joking apart, a garage that has a courtesy car out because of a plastic pipe is going to do everything it can to get that pipe ASAP.

MS
    Free Member

Insurers did organise initial repair, but I just phoned up the garage direct when the steering went as they said if there is any problems just to phone them.

legend
    Free Member

MS – Member
    Insurers did organise initial repair, but I just phoned up the garage direct when the steering went as they said if there is any problems just to phone them.

I’d still be onto the Insurer. Sub-standard repair, car off road for x weeks, get a bloody move on, etc

Pook

Try ringing a Ford dealers and asking how long it would take them to get the part for you

If they’re anything like the ford dealers I went to when my 12v plug kept going, who when they said they’d fixed it had simply changed the 4 amp fuse for a 24amp, they’ll most likely talk bollox too.

matt_outandabout

I’d still be onto the Insurer. Sub-standard repair, car off road for x weeks, get a bloody move on, etc

^ this
    (And to rub salt in wound: accident last Tuesday. Car picked up, fixed and returned last thing Monday.)

Offroading
    Free Member

It may not be a ford issue.

The ST uses an old Volvo engine and running gear (Ford to cheap to design one themself) so could be a supply issue from volvo…

Phone a ford parts dealer, like quickford and ask for a price and availability.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

it’s a fairly common fault on the focus, I had that around 2005. I was going to drive it home(45 Miles) rather than wait for the AA until I discovered that the fluid was very flammable 😯

oink1
    Free Member

Can you not get a pro in like Hose Doctor to fabricate you one? I used to work for ford (Tech) and back order parts can take forever. Sorry to make things worse, not my intention!

MS
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey – Member
    It’s a fairly common fault on the focus, I had that around 2005. I was going to drive it home(45 Miles) rather than wait for the AA until I discovered that the fluid was very flammable

I drove it 120 miles home!!

tinsy
    Free Member

I think the old courtesy car thing is one of the blaggs in the trade, they charge the insurance companies triple the cost of a hire car for the privilege, its sometimes not in their interest to finish a job quickly..
    Could be part of the reason, or could be urban myth

hora
    Free Member

I managed to get a better courtesy car from them last week (1.2 corsa to a C-Max) as I drive around 60 miles a day and the corsa was useless.

Yeah and I guess your insurers are receiving the continual bill for these cars.

I wonder who owns the courtesy cars and who is paid a cut from the amount of delays.

MS
    Free Member

Speaking to a friend who owns a bodyshop garage, he said that insurance companies are hellish for payments. As in they have standard prices and standard times for carrying out jobs.

I would guess the garage would be taking the hit for the courtesy car as the insurers wouldn’t pay it for that long! If I’m wrong I guess my premium is going to be even bigger! 😯

hora
    Free Member

OP did you take it to a garage that you were told to or did you chose the garage on a recommendation etc?

MS
    Free Member

Didn’t really have a choice, as the alloy was goosed so couldn’t drive it. Insurance nominated the garage and got it picked up by the tow truck. (very quickly as well to be fair to them!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Car Repair – Slow Slow Slow’ is closed to new replies.