• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ski.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car repair issue
  • clipper68
    Free Member

Not sure what to do about this one. Car in for repair (primera 2.0l estate CVT) New MAF hasnt sorted the issue. Garage reckon its a transmission fault requiring full rebuild at approx £2000 parts and labour. Cars not worth that much so no way. Wants to charge me for the work thats been done so far inc. the maf (approx £400)even though the car hasnt been fixed. Asked if I would sign the car over to him to cover cost of repair as car is effectively now scrap.
    Sounds off to me. Don’t know what to do.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I dont know how you could confuse a MAF problem and a transmission problem?

What are the symptoms?

My primera needed a MAF – £35 new (aftermarket). It was easy to diagnose- the computer (OBD plug in thingy) said it was faulty.

clipper68
    Free Member

Engine revs but car wont pick up. No faults in ecu though

coffeeking
    Free Member

Could be surging if it’s an auto tranny, at a guess, but that’s an outside chance. Replacement MAF for £400 seems ridiculous to start with but if it’s been replaced dealer-parts then maybe. My simple point is that you put it in to be fixed, they’ve not fixed it, you don’t pay.

FWIW a toyota dealership in manchester had our car for 2 weeks, replaced the ECU and a few other items (we checked, they had) and still didn’t charge us as they couldn’t find the fault.

Engine revs but car wont pick up.

Not sure how you mean here. If it’s an auto and the engine revs but the car doesn’t accelerate it’s a box fault (or the control of it), plain and simple. If it wasn’t revving there’d be a chance it was the MAF but not if the engine responds fine and has no sensor faults. I’d remove my car and run, if what you’re telling us is accurate.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Engine revs but car wont pick up. No faults in ecu though

As in engine running fine & revs but no acceleration when in “drive”? That wouldnt sound good.

#edit – beaten to it by coffeeking

Is it at a main dealer?

PePPeR

CVT’s are the devils work!

How many miles has it done?

Tell him to sod off about the MAF sensor, if he hasn’t the correct diagnostic tools and is trying to repair it by replacing piece after piece then he ain’t worth using!

I’ve had this no end of times before with vehicles, the latest was a Ford Transit where the garage mechanic had told us it was the high pressure fuel pump requiring replacement and when I actually got it diagnosed properly it was just a split inlet manifold and a stuck turbo wastegate valve, it cost £350 to repair instead of the £2000 plus, that the other quote had offered me!

ski
    Free Member

As long as you did not ask for thr MAF to be replaced.

As coffeeking said

you put it in to be fixed, they’ve not fixed it, you don’t pay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car repair issue’ is closed to new replies.