Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car question; noisy rear suspension in cold weather…
  • househusband

Have an 18month old Hyundai i30 which is faultless bar one current issue; the noise the rear suspension makes in cold weather when going over undulations and (not as if the roads are lacking in any of these at the moment) in particular potholes.

I’m no car expert, hence the question(s); is it feasible that either hardening rubber stops/components in the rear suspension, or even damping fluid thickening in the shock itself, could be the culprit?

Sounds like something is loose, but the garage confirmed there isn’t after it happened last year; it’s a sudden thud/groan from the rear wheel arch area.

Any thoughts/ideas?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’s a sheltering tramp.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Almost impossible to diagnose suspension noises over the internet, to be honest. Your thud/groan might be my knock/whiz

porter_jamie

it’s under warranty. take it back and whine like hell. they’ll fix it

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

the problem you have is when a mechanic places the car on a ramp, all the suspension components becomes unloaded. so to hear or see anything wrong would be amazing.

need to hear or look while the car is loaded, ie go to a garage with a pit.

no main dealer will have one anymore and unfortunatly they may say no fault found unless its cold.

try to explain the thud. in as much detail as possible and will try and help you out.

ie

is it on compression or as the shock is going back to its normal state.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Its the re-sale value falling out the arsee of it 😉

househusband

Thanks, Nick_Christy. Have always thought that taking a technician or even the service manager may be the only way…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car question; noisy rear suspension in cold weather…’ is closed to new replies.