Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Car question
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Been looking at an 2010 xc60 2.4 diesel manual with 168k on the clock.

Clearly mostly motorway miles and still looks and drives like new. So for the right price would you buy it?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

2010 with 168k???
    What were they doing?

For the right price, yes, but the right price would be about £3k

johnellison
    Free Member

No. Being a Volvo whore I wouldn’t buy any Volvo post 1999. That said I once did and it’s the worst Volvo I’ve ever owned.

Post 2000 Volvos are plagued with electrical/electronic glitches and unless you know what you’re doing these can cost a fortune to put right. They’ve been better of late, but I still wouldn’t have another after 1999. I’d insist on a full and detailed service history at that mileage (not just “stamps in the book”) and get the codes read before committing.

But meh…what do I know.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Quite difficult. In this difficult market I’d say very cheap. It’s not hard to imagine some very big bills in the future, what’s the life expectancy of the mechanicals (engine, gearbox, drive train system) 200,000 max ? I’d look around and see what high mileage other xc models (inc 70 and 90) you can find.

We have a A6 Audi Quattro 2.7 avant 100,000 on the clock which is worth about £6k, 2007 car which looks and drives like new. This car has a lot more miles and cost less to start with, the £3k figure above seems the right ballpark, perhaps less. I’d personally rather miss the car by offering too little than pay too much.

The xc60 is a great looking car IMO, seems to be practical etc. Tough choice.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Johnellison…..interesting response, as the reason I’m thinking about buying this car because our 60 plate V50 SE Sportwagon developed an electrical fault in which the windows and door locks plus other things started playing up. It was eventually traced to a corroded connection in the Drivers door, but 6 months later its started doing it again and I’m thinking that I’ll sort it and get rid.

We got a big Volvo roof box, so was thinking of another Volvo to suit the bars, but now you’ve got me thinking it could me out of the frying pan into the fire!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Quite difficult. In this difficult market I’d say very cheap. It’s not hard to imagine some very big bills in the future, what’s the life expectancy of the mechanicals (engine, gearbox, drive train system) 200,000 max ?

I think a modern 2.4 diesel that has been regularly maintained and driven mostly on motorways would last well beyond 200k miles. I don’t see any reason why in excess of 300k wouldn’t be easily achieved, seeing as you hear of some cars hitting 400k on the same engine. Clearly there would be issues, but they would be offset by the buying price.

nealglover
    Free Member

We got a big Volvo roof box, so was thinking of another Volvo to suit the bars

Possibly not the best way to choose a car 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d have no problems with a car with 168k on the clock, as long as it was me that put the miles on. No way would I buy a car with that mileage that someone else has done. Asking for trouble IMO.

stumpy01

I’d risk it for the right price.
    My diesel Ibiza ticked over 219k miles this morning and that’s still on it’s original clutch, original exhaust, original suspension apart from one new spring, only on it’s second set of front pads and discs.
    Should be fine for another couple of years at least, I hope.

A mate of mine (salesman) used to have to regularly go up to Leeds for work meetings and put 59k miles on a 118d in 13 months, – so similar miles/annum as that Volvo. But the car just sat on the motorway for most of those miles not being stressed at all. Felt like new when he gave it back.
    Dunnno about that Volvo, but my Ibiza is only doing 1750rpm or so at 70mph so it’s barely trying and lots of motorway miles means the suspension won’t have been worked hard, the brakes won’t have been used that much (proportionally to miles driven) and the clutch won’t have been constantly slipped crawling in town traffic.

sharkbait
    Free Member

But meh…what do I know.

For balance we had a 2000 V70 for 8 years that never had any electrical issues and we’ve still got an XC90 that we bought in 2003 that hasn’t had a single electrical issue.
    My BIL is on his second XC60 and amazingly that hasn’t had any electrical issues either.
    Maybe we’ve been incredibly lucky or maybe you’re wrong.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s a fancy 4wd – something bound to go wrong.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Have had three >2000 Volvo’s with zero electrical issues. 2001 V70 – got it at 100k was still running at 170+k with a minor oil leak from rear engine seal somewhere. No other major issues. 2006 S60 bought at 100k earlier this year also still going strong service history while comprehensive shows no scares in the past. Both ex police so not probably had the easiest lives before me.

Recently bought a 2006 S40 T5 AWD out here in oz, only doe 55k miles so far.

Personally had no probs with post 2000 models, but I probably wouldnt buy something with more than say 120k on it even with full good service history as its all those little non service wear parts that will tend to start going, on the V70 getting past 170k although minor it was the annoying little things like the clips on the side compartments of the boot and the like that started to ware out and break that are annoying and unless you go to a scrap yard and source them are expensive from volvo.

john_drummer
    Free Member

168k miles in 3 years? is that genuine? sure it’s not 16.8k? (very low mileage for 3 years)
    does the service book tie up with that? I don’t know what the service interval for XC60 is but let’s say it’s 12000, there should be, what, 13, 14 service stamps?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Yeah we had a 53 plate XC90 for three years with no elec problems either.

It’s a fancy 4wd – something bound to go wrong.

BTW this XC60 is FWD only so not an AWD aspect to worry about.

johnellison
    Free Member

I suspect the former.

Look at the VOC forums and look at the number of electrical/electronic gremlins associated with many post 2000 models.

Plus the following from my own experience with my 2002 V70 D5 – bought in 2012 with 113k on the clock and full dealer history. 6 months later the following went – both front seat heaters; headlamp levellers; headlamp wash wipes; both front 12V sockets; radio died; rear child locks. Alarm and central locking intermittently faulty.

All problems traced to faulty central electronic module. Replaced at main dealer (you can’t use parts cannibalised from other cars as they are all coded to the OEM vehicle) at a cost of £800. All good for a month or so then dash module went. Luckily these can be remanufactured for about £100 but still a week off the road.

A friend has had similar issues with his 2003 S60R. These are well-known and well documented faults.

Of course, I could just be lying.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’d have a good look around the rest of the running gear such as brakes, suspension, steering. Then go through all the service records and bills, and if it were cheap enough, hand over the cash.

johnellison
    Free Member

Er…not true. Only the DRIVe models are FWD, all the rest are Haldex AWD

sharkbait
    Free Member

Of course, I could just be lying.

Or unlucky.
    You list a number of things that went wrong but they were all controlled by a single part that failed – a single part failing on any used car is not uncommon and barely a reason to discount all cars from a manufacturer built between 2000 and 2010.

Look at the VOC any car manufacturer forums and look at the number of electrical/electronic gremlins associated with many post 2000 models

FTFY. You do know that car manufacturers do not make their own electronic parts and many parts are used by multiple manufacturers don’t you.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Er…not true. Only the DRIVe models are FWD, all the rest are Haldex AWD

I mean…THIS model is FWD because it is a DRIVe model! 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

Do they still use the Audi diesel with the 5 cylinder lump. That was one of the best diesel engines ever made in my opinion. After having my mondeo tdci throw 3 injectors out i’m out of buying a diesel for a while.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Car question’ is closed to new replies.