Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Car qn – sorry! Running a BMW estate diesel – expensive or not too bad?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Flogging a knackered car under the pretence that it's okay is pretty bloody immoral in my book.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Agreed – that is sly.

br
    Free Member

But when its to a main stealer and the sales guy (who allegedly is the 'pro') didn't even bother to start the car – no doubt he was just focussing on the cash (and the misely part-ex my mate had agreed to).

molgrips
    Free Member

The dealer's clearly expecting it to work. You don't f*ck somebody over and say it's their fault for not expecting it.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

havent read most of the above but my mate has a 320d and they 'can' have serious turbo trouble, his did and cost over a grand to fix.

might have just been a friday afternoon build though.

hora
    Free Member

Aye but the salesman was probably sacked on the spot.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Monkey – what age? New (E90) shape is generally fine, E46 shape was dodgy.

I had the swirl flaps go on my 1.9CDTi (150PS) Astra – had it not been under warranty, it would have cost grands to fix. The dealer was utterly appalling too.

My Bimmer is in for a service today – my courtesy car? A 116i Sport with NO torque!! Tidy handling though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Even more for b r's made to be proud of…

A 116i Sport with NO torque!!

Oh my god how did you cope! What an insult! 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – TBH for a little hatch, it's not bad. Well made, nice handling and although a mere 122bhp, it goes okay.

It's important to drive like an utter c**t in one though to prove it's a "real" BMW…!!

molgrips
    Free Member

122bhp from a 1.6 is decent enough.

Can't decide re BMW still. The 'image' seems to be intertwined with the cars themselves since they design them to drive like that.

hora
    Free Member

We are talking about the 1 series aka reverse Tardis finished in swathes of plastic? (also close internal space relation to the Seat Leon) 😉

br
    Free Member

Why, all that will happen is that the deal won't add as much to his GP (possibly even be negative) as he thought – don't start having sympathy for someone who obviously can't do their job.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sympathy for the dealer. It's just not a very nice thing to do.

If someone goes into the back room of my LBS leaving me alone in the shop, should I run out with a bike?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hora – plastic and what looks like flock wallpaper – the very same 1 series.

But to be fair, it does corners well, the brakes are good and it's got a fair bit of kit. I'm also 5'8" so room not an issue!

Mol – the image totally put me off for years and years TBH. I still think too many BMW drivers shouldn't have a license but they are genuinely decent cars and some of their models are pretty unique (some in a good way, some not). I think their fundamental principles of doing lots of engine research (so making good engines), sticking to well balanced chassis set up and only RWD (some AWD) for their "normal" cars is a strategy worth sticking to.

hora
    Free Member

don't start having sympathy for someone who obviously can't do their job.

Or made a mistake and was then mislead?

Senior Arnold Clark salesman who delt with me apparently was moved from the premium dealership to the Vauxhall dealership after a soured deal with me. Sales manager alleged that I'd ripped them off so I went ballistic.

molgrips
    Free Member

The muscular aggressive aesthetic of their cars is weary on my eyes…

In any case, they are too expenisve for me 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

In any case, they are too expensive for me

The old ones aren't expensive.

I am not a fan of the E60/E61, E90, etc styling and will not buy one when it comes to replacing my E39.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That's partly why I went for an SE instead of the default "M Sport" option – to soften that look.

I hated the E60 and E90 when they came out but now like them – odd how things change over time! E60 still looks a bit Dame Edna to me!

You can pick up a BMW for any price from £100 to £100++k

hora
    Free Member

In any case, they are too expenisve for me

+1

molgrips
    Free Member

Old bemmers not more expensive than old golfs etc?

In any case, this is my next newer car I reckon, in a few years 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

And this is mine:

Followed by:

(waits for Mol to say they are too powerful, etc…) 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Waste of energy is what they are 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Car qn – sorry! Running a BMW estate diesel – expensive or not too bad?’ is closed to new replies.