Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Car owners that are Doctors are better drivers ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

No they are not !

So why oh why when looking for a car do sellers insist on writing Doctor owned ! So f*cking what ! why would they be any better at driving ?
    Another favorite lady owned…so ? or even better 2 lady owners again so f*cking what!

love to see an advert that stated owned by a sh*t driver and never serviced etc !

bencooper
    Free Member

Isn’t it just shorthand for Volvo?

wwaswas

The only people whjo consitently manage to get their occupation into a converstaion within the first 3 minutes of meeting them are teachers.

Doctors tend not to mention what they do in case you show them your scrotal abcess or something.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m never any good at that whole “so what do you do?” conversation anyway. People ask me, and I struggle to come up with a coherent answer. “I do lots of things – oh, do you mean what do I currently do that makes some money? I build bicycles. Sort of.”

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m never any good at that whole “so what do you do?” conversation anyway. People ask me, and I struggle to come up with a coherent answer. “I do lots of things – oh, do you mean what do I currently do that makes some money? I build bicycles. Sort of.”

What a magnificent conversationalist you must be. Next time some one asks, instead of trying to pretend you don’t understand the social mores when people ask what you do, tell them you’re a public executioner and things are a bit slow just now, but it’s a Tory government, so who knows. Meantime just keeping your hand in with some private sector work <wink><wink>.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Doctors tend not to mention what they do in case you show them your scrotal abcess or something.

No, doctors don’t tell you because they are so awesome you will already know.

wwaswas

No, doctors don’t tell you because they are so awesome you will already know.

I’m clearly not good at picking up the queues on that.

So I show everyone new I meet my scrotal abcess just in case they’re a doctor.

alfabus
    Free Member

“I do lots of things – oh, do you mean what do I currently do that makes some money? I build bicycles. Sort of.”

at least that is tangible… I’m a software engineer – a bigger conversation killer there isn’t!

Dave

IHN

I was once introduced to a friend’s new boyfriend at a wedding. She almost immediately disappeared somewhere, leaving the pair of us together.

I asked him, in a friendly manner, like you do “So, what do you do?”, to which he answered “you’re not really interested, you’re just trying to make small-talk”.

I thought “**** you then you miserable sod”, and left him on his own.

IHN

I’m a software engineer

“I work in IT”. Although I’m tempted to say that I’m the MD of my own IT Managed Services corporation 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

So I show everyone new I meet my scrotal abcess just in case they’re a doctor.

To be fair, a doctor probably won’t be interested unless it’s pustulating. I would advise that, in any new social circumstance, you whip the thing out and squeeze some of the pus into a wine glass, then show that to people, telling them what it is and asking if they’d like a sniff and/or squeeze of the original.
    This works for me and I find the parties I get invited to these days much more interesting than the ones I used to

alfabus
    Free Member

“I’m a software engineer” vs “I work in IT”

Yeah, but I don’t really ‘work in IT’; I work in a wider industry, doing the software portions of engineering projects.

Saying I ‘work in IT’ is like a car mechanic saying they ‘work in spanners’.

Dave

bencooper
    Free Member

What a magnificent conversationalist you must be.

Well, yes. I have Aspergers – small talk isn’t really my forté…

IHN

“I work in IT” vs “I’m a freelance business systems analyst in Financial Services”

Both equally dull, both equally meaningless to most people, the former much quicker to say.

wwaswas

my wife is much more comfortable introducing me as a ‘company director’ now than she ever was as ‘he does something IT but I’m not quite sure what it is’.

I still do much the same job, tbh.

samuri
    Free Member

None of my family know what I do for a living because saying ‘I work in IT’ is way easier than actually explaining what I really do.

Although once my title got changed to ‘Head of…’ they were all quite interested. They understood I’d moved from the realm of actually doing stuff to telling other people to do stuff.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I find the whole “so, what do you do?” line of questioning both amusing and quite sad.

It seems to be mostly a bloke thing though.

Women seem to be able to find all sorts of things to chat about, but blokes seem to get stuck after the usual “what do you do?”, “what do you drive?”, “did you see the match last night?” nonsense.

I think men prefer a bit of an ‘arguement’ rather than a chat. STW kind of proves this – the longest & most interesting threads are the more contentious ones.

With unemployment so high these days, a lot of blokes get offended by the “what do you do?” question if they’re not working. Bit of a pride thing going on maybe.

wwaswas

I think men prefer a bit of an ‘arguement’ rather than a chat

[pantomime voice]

Oh no they don’t!

[/pantomime voice.

peterfile
    Free Member

my wife is much more comfortable introducing me as a ‘company director’ now than she ever was as ‘he does something IT but I’m not quite sure what it is’.

That’s quite amusing since “company director” is even more vague than “something in IT”!

🙂

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

wheres my original thread gone !

joao3v16
    Free Member

reported by one of those self-important superior doctor types

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

all it said was f*cking and thats not swearing !

wwaswas

swear filter avoidance is still a crime, man.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

wheres my original thread gone !

So it’s not just me that read it and thought it had changed in the last half hour.

That’s quite amusing since “company director” is even more vague than “something in IT”!

Whenever someone says anything similar to em I immediately think “so you’re doing exactly the same job you were doing when you left university, but you’re now contracting on a day rate and started a limited company for tax reasons”.

samuri
    Free Member

Right OK, original thread then. Is this about insurance premiums?

Doctors must be considered to be safer drivers at a purely statistical level presumably then which is why they pay less. My dad was an artist and experimented with saying he was a company director (which he was) and a graphic designer. The Graphic Designer tag carried a much higher premium presumably because they’re all a bit mad and keep getting themselves into accidents.

wwaswas

Is this about insurance premiums?

no, it’s about people charging a premium for their car because they’re a doctor/woman/lead footed moron on the grounds that their mere presence gives it some sort of caché over and above all the other similar cars for sale.

joao3v16
    Free Member

On the plus side, asking everyone “what do you do?” makes it really easy to jump to many assumptions about them based on our perception of the sort of person who does that job, and allows us to put them in a certain box.

Plus, I assumed Doctor’s unsurance was low because they spent most of the time in hospitals etc and not actually driving anywhere.

Doh1Nut

Doctors crash just as much but they can fix themselves afterwards thus under representing their incompetence behind the wheel.

🙂

wwaswas

On the plus side, asking everyone “what do you do?” makes it really easy to jump to many assumptions about them based on our perception of the sort of person who does that job, and allows us to put them in a certain box.

I think this was the root of my wife’s concerns about using the letters ‘IT’ when talking about my job…

peterfile
    Free Member

Whenever someone says anything similar to em I immediately think “so you’re doing exactly the same job you were doing when you left university, but you’re now contracting on a day rate and started a limited company for tax reasons”.

To be fair, i’ve yet to meet a director who introduces himself as a “company director”, it would be bizarre.

“Hello, I’m John, I’m a company director”
    “Nice to meet you John, I’m Peter File and I’m a professional service provider, and this is Mrs Peter File, she’s a businesswoman. This is our son William, he is a child and eats Lego”

I think it’s mainly used by people who don’t understand the term (e.g. assume that company director means you’re on the board of a FTSE 100) or by people whose job is actually so dull they need something to make it sound better (e.g. regional new business director of a company that produces machines which make the staples which are used in the temporary assembly of cardboard boxes before they are glued and the staples are removed).

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Well, yes. I have Aspergers – small talk isn’t really my forté…

I have ******** Tourette’s and sure as **** it’s my ******* forte

glupton1976
    Free Member

I see the problem right there ^ and ^^^^^^^^^*

Your patter is garbage.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Car owners that are Doctors are better drivers ?’ is closed to new replies.